Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 16:33
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default "Bathroom" question!

Hi All!
Well...first 5 weeks of atkins went real EASY as far as bathroom was concerned ...then...hit a BRICK wall, so to speak for past few weeks and am VERY uncomfortable most of the time! Just had my colonoscopy, so not bad now...but I fear I will be in a day or two again.

I am looking for a product that will keep me "regular"...is NOT a powder...(have that now and think it is binding me more)...am leary of pills etc for same reason...

I drink PLENTY of water and get PLENTY of veggies throughout the day, so it is not that....(still on induction)...and I exercise as I am able...

I am thinking of an "oil" perhaps but have no knowledge of this topic.

Does anyone know if such a product exists and if so, in capsule form or other? I want to buy something in the morning...opinions appreciated oh great and wise panel!
Best to all;
Jake

Last edited by mammoth : Tue, Jul-08-03 at 16:41.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 16:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/151/135 Female 5'6"
BF:?
Progress: 54%

my nautropath has me taking evening primrose oil (in a caplet). you could also try flax seed oil, or hemp seed oil. I take the hemp seed in a tablespoon straight from the bottle. it doesn't taste bad.

but i can't remember if the oils are to aid... er... movement... per se, or just for general health.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 17:00

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

Have to admit no clue but from personal experience a bout of alcohol in the evening seems to help the next day......
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 17:08
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Dairy seems to do it for me :\

Weren't you trying psyllium husks, did you get sick of them or just not working?

You can try aloe vera juice. Don't use too much though and there's always sitting down to a bag of SF chocolates
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 17:14
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

Hi Jake,

My husband had the same problem. We think that he, too, was getting "bound up" with too much powder. Our solution has worked VERY well: Metamucil tablets (psyllium husk in a caplet) -- 6 a day: 2 in the morning, 2 at lunch, 2 at dinner, WITH (and this is very important) 1000 mg of flaxseed oil (also a tablet) also 3 times a day, with the Metamucil.

Spacing the Metamucil tablets in small doses through the day did the trick. And the flaxseed oil helps everything stay, well, slippery.

Best of luck. And congrats on a successful colonoscopy!!

Jeannie
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 17:39

Plan: Modified Low Carb
Stats: 320/273.8/270 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 92%

Vitamin C (LOTS of it! like about 12 grams per day powder and/or caplets) is working for me. Not loose either, just nice n easy

I also think the olive oil, coconut oil and butter I eat doesn't hurt either. One thing about Atkins is I don't think one has the same bulk of stool as when you are eating grains and there is so much more waste product.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 17:43

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I take flaxseed oil every single day, 3 - 4 tablespoons. You are supposed to do 1 tablespoon for every 50 lbs of bodyweight. If you decide to go with flaxseed, try to get Barleans - it tastes like walnuts! Don't go with the capsules, you would have to take way too many & go broke doing it. Make sure it is refrigerated flaxseed oil - NOT the kind that sits on a shelf.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 17:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

Jake,
Just a suggestion ...... because your under a Doctor's care and just had that test done maybe you should discuss it with him? Better safe than sorry.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 17:56
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 300/278/200 Male 6' 4"
BF:More than I need
Progress: 22%

I understand your concern with pills. I'm taking so many now as supplements I'm not hungry when I've taken them all. the husks seem to work ok for me and I get the fiber benefit. Important for us colon sensitive guys. Have a question for you on another subject. We are similar in "stature".....ok bigness. How many calories a day are you taking in? I was told to eat at least 2500 which is my BASAL (basal metalbolic rate) If I was under that amount my metabolism would stall and weight loss would stop.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 18:34

Stats: 225/216.5/169
BF:
Progress: 15%

Senokot has worked wonders for some of the people I work with......Comes in tablets
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 19:06

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

Flax seed (not oil)...like roto-rooter for me Works every time! And it tastes pretty good.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 19:39

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

I use the Psyllium Husk Caplets. They work great for me. I have heard you can use castoroil also (sp?)
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 19:41
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey All:
The gastro-doc told me to increase fiber intake as the "solution"...problem is all the psyllium powder is not only difficult for me to swollow (mixed in water) and/or it is bulking me to the point I can't "move".

I do NOT want to take any more dang pills...
I am eating Maximum veggies every day and max on water (12 cups anyway)...

I do not want fibercom, metamucil, pysillium....

I do want an OIL to try...sounds so far like I will be buying flax seed oil tomorrow and trying that...the refridgerated type...my local grocery sells it, so no problem to get some and TRY! If they have flax seeds, will buy some to grind myself and put on salads too....last time I checked they were out...

Haywire: I am averaging only 1800 cal per day...just cant seem to eat more lately. I try to keep protein at around 130 grams and fat at around 68-70%.

Anymore idea's appreciated!
VERY best to all
Jake

Last edited by mammoth : Tue, Jul-08-03 at 19:42.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 19:50
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 216/000/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 284%

I too have had luck increasing my vitamin C intake. Since I was not accustomed to taking a vitamin C suppliment, about 3g (3 x 1000mg per day) spread though the day did the trick.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 20:27
Registered Member

Stats: 225/180/175 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 90%

My father swears by mineral oil! and he has tried everything. Just a teaspoon to start. I don't think it counts for any carbs or calories.
good luck. PS: had my first colenoscopy just a year ago, the prep and anticipation is worse than the procedure. Good luck