Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 13:03

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default hormones and SAD

Just wondering about the percentage of folks here who had or developed SAD that were/weren't on hormones.

In other words, one of the studies I would like to have done regarding SAD, is how it relates to hormones or vice versa.

This is based on my own experience a couple of medical facts. One is that I notice the same time I develop SAD (both winter and summer), my TOM becomes erratic also, more so as I get older. And my PMS gets worse. Also, more women than men get SAD. Finally, a high rate of women with SAD get much better after going through menopause.

What say ye?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 13:17

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

When I first found out about SAD, I looked back thru all my hallmark calendars (yes, I've kept them all!), and as far back as the early 70's when I was healthy and active, and lived in Coldrado where the sun shines pretty much all day, every day, I was affected. I always thought it was the cold that made me sick a lot in winter, but looking back, I see that my activities show I suffered in Nov. and Dec. and already started to feel better in Jan. Obviously not the cold, because Jan. and Feb. in Colo. are definitely still winter!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 13:47

Well, it's not how much the sun shines but the angle of the sun.
Although it does help if it snows. The reflection.

According to the science people, it is impossible to get enough sun to either stop any problems with light or to produce enough Vit D after October if you live anywhere north basically of Atlanta; which looking across that would also be north of Dallas, Phoenix or LA. South of there you should be ok in the winter.

This has been constantly on my mind and has become a huge argument with my DH. My DH is a cautious and careful kind; I'm not. but even so, logically, if you both suffer from this, you know what would help, neither of you has such an exceptional career that moving would make a difference (in other words, you could find a job) and there is no real reason to stay here, shouldn't you move?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 14:00
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think so. But then I did it, though not far enough. I moved from Boston, MA to Washington, DC. I was considering moving even further south within the next year and until I discovered vitamin D. Something to consider too..even in a sunnier clime, if you're indoors all day, there's still a bit of a deficit. That can probably be erradicated with small D supplementation. I think people prone to SAD need some supplementation unless it is summer Deep South or closer to the equator.

Maybe you and your husband can start researching sites and job markets, and prospects further south. That might give your husband a sound basis for the move.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 14:19

When you moved, did you notice any improvement of symptoms at all? I lived in the Northeast from 1978-1981. I remember being miserable, but don't really know if that was a increase in SAD symnptoms or not.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 23:49

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Lightbulb Does Vit D Help Sad....

Can U Tell Me...i Have It Extremely Bad... Ok I read further and found the answer to that question, but CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE TO BUY A SUN LAMP....????

TJ

Last edited by skeeweeaka : Sun, Apr-10-05 at 00:53. Reason: WHERE DO I BUY THE SUN LAMP...
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-05, 06:00

Hi, TJ

I bought mine on line. I do'nt know if they even sell them anywhere retail, but I guess they must but I just don't know where.

Mine is made by Apollo and is Bright Light V. I started out with a small one, but it was so retrictive and I had to stay right on top of it. This one, I can put on a shelf when I use the treadmill, or just sit it beside me when I watch TV or read. It's great! Sometimes, after I've used it as I should, I just leave it on to brighten the room.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-05, 07:33
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quietone
I noticed an immediate improvement in mood the first two years I moved to DC. I'm guessing it took my body 2 years to adjust. Plus, I was unemployed when I got here and consequently spent a lot of time in the sun.

TJ
you can buy a sun lamp online. That's how I purchased mine, oddly enough from a company in Maryland. Just type sun lamp in a search engine.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-05, 09:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

hi everybody,

I just wanted to clarify for other readers that "sun lamps" and "SAD lamps" (a.k.a. bright light therapy lamps) are NOT the same thing. Lamps specifically designed for SAD treatment provide protection from ultraviolent rays, usually by using cool white fluorescent bulbs, and have a special refractive shield. Sun lamps don't have such protection.

Ultraviolet light can damage the retina of the eye.

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-05, 09:50
Finding the Pieces

BF:

But a lot of the SAD lamps are called Sun something. You do have to read the literature to be sure they are for SAD.