Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-11, 10:37

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Took magnesium, feel all sparkly

There's very compelling evidence (thanks, Hutch!) about magnesium supplementation being vital for health, but my first attempt, with plain ol' magnesium, was very similar to eating one of those sugar alcohol candies... only one that was three stories tall.

If you know what I mean.

So I ordered some chelated magnesium, and took it last night. While I did get some, ya know, (activity,) it was no more than a bran muffin used to do, so I'm fine with that. And this reaction is supposed to moderate as I continue to take magnesium, I understand.

What amazed me was about two hours after I took it... I got this wave of calm, followed by a wave of warmth. The whole thing lasted like an hour!

And it felt good.

So, I will continue to keep up with it, and see how it goes. But I was rather impressed; it's supposed to make all your electricity work better. I'd say it does!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-11, 12:01

Plan: Atkins/Primal
Stats: 189/161/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I LOVE how magnesium makes me feel!

I take an average of 6-800mgs of glycinate a day and between that and the 5000IU of D3 I am calm, happy, feel like I'm handling stress so much better and have even had moments of what I could only describe as euphoric feelings..like when I was a kid and my parents told me we were going to Disneyworld..my tummy gets all rollercoastery and I just feel so happy, I could burst! Dancing around with the dogs and cat..if anyone witnessed me in all my glory they'd probably think I need to be committed!!

I have joy and calmness back in my life and it's really hard not to be completely positive these days..I will never stop supplimenting with these two nutrients!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-11, 15:35

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

WOW!!!

I wish my order from iherb.com would get here!!!

I am out of magnesium!!! Can you believe it!!! Me!!!

And, you know what, I can feel all those old deficiency symptoms coming back...

By the way, you two Mg fans, I am compiling this magnesium file and I thought it would be good if I could also have permission to post other people's success stories in it.

I am collecting my own posts (so I don't have to keep re-writing the same thing) and it would be great if I could also quote posts like the two above.

I love the title "Took magnesium, feel all sparkly", that is just priceless!!!

amanda
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-11, 15:38

BF:
Default Another magnesium convert, I see!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezil
I LOVE how magnesium makes me feel!

I take an average of 6-800mgs of glycinate a day and between that and the 5000IU of D3 I am calm, happy, feel like I'm handling stress so much better and have even had moments of what I could only describe as euphoric feelings..like when I was a kid and my parents told me we were going to Disneyworld..my tummy gets all rollercoastery and I just feel so happy, I could burst! Dancing around with the dogs and cat..if anyone witnessed me in all my glory they'd probably think I need to be committed!!

I have joy and calmness back in my life and it's really hard not to be completely positive these days..I will never stop supplimenting with these two nutrients!

Hi Deezil,

It's time you opened a journal you know! Then we could continue to exchange our Mg news via our journals - I'd be curious to get to know you better and a journal is a great way to do that.

I am sooooo immensely glad to read how good you feel. It is incredible proof of how powerful these substances are!!!

I can't guarantee that this feeling of euphoria will last, but I am sure glad that you are feeling so good now.

All the best, looking forward to reading your new shiny journal!!!

amanda
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-11, 16:46

BF:

Quote away, amanda!

I'm at the beginning stages, obviously, but I'll try to put my progress in my journal for you.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-11, 23:13

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

Thank you for posting this. I really need to get some of it but there are so many different types. I don't want to get the wrong stuff. Are you taking anything else along with it?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-11, 23:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawald
Hi Deezil,

It's time you opened a journal you know! Then we could continue to exchange our Mg news via our journals - I'd be curious to get to know you better and a journal is a great way to do that.

I am sooooo immensely glad to read how good you feel. It is incredible proof of how powerful these substances are!!!

I can't guarantee that this feeling of euphoria will last, but I am sure glad that you are feeling so good now.

All the best, looking forward to reading your new shiny journal!!!

amanda

I know, I know..I should start a journal.

I just get on this site and start reading and learning and commenting...time gets away from me...tomorrow morning..I will start a journal over coffee in the morning.

The euphoric feelings come in waves. I like them. I like them a LOT!!

I still feel hormonal at times and a friend really pissed me off tonight, but I just feel more able to cope with things lately. The good/positive feelings are just more prevalent these days and I'm absolutely convinced it's because I'm feeding my body what it needs and supplimenting. I haven't felt these many joyous moments in a looong time..if ever.

Feel free to use whatever you like. I've been handing out bottles of mag and baggies full of D3 to whoever will take 'em! I believe we can all help each other by sharing the knowledge we acquire and paying it forward.

BTW, I can hardly even believe you ran out of mag! I'm terrified at the thought...
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-11, 23:37

BF:

Double post

Last edited by Deezil : Wed, Apr-13-11 at 23:44.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 06:59
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawald
WOW!!!

I wish my order from iherb.com would get here!!!

I am out of magnesium!!! Can you believe it!!! Me!!!

Me too! I normally take 1000mg, but have lowered the dose to 400mg to try and make what I've got last - but they run out in two days. Even on the lowered dosage I feel different, much lowered energy levels, and not sleeping as well.

Lee
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 07:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing
Progress: 32%

I'm gonna have to get me some. I had been taking the "three story tall" one just so I could get results. Then I started metformin and seemed like it turned into 6 stories tall, if you know what I mean. But I would like to sleep better and feel this calmness you speak of. Sounds great! I'm sure I need the supplement also. What's one more bottle of stuff added to my 8 bottles already in the morning? Breakfast?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 08:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

As far as I can detect it doesn't change how I feel in the slightest. Hopefully it is doing something undetectable that is good.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 09:38

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 202/175/150 Female 5ft3 / 63in
BF:
Progress: 52%

I just wanna add to the magnesium love!

When I joined this forum (nearly a year ago now) I started taking chelated magnesium (bisglycinate) after reading one of hutchinson's posts and realising that mg I took in the past most likely wasn't even absorbed... -

Anyway, I used to be a terrible victim of migraines & headaches, which I now only get very very rarely. (Maybe 2 migraines in the last year?!) And also I used to get leg cramps in my sleep, anyone who has had those will know how painful they are! I haven't had a single cramp since starting taking them.

And I totally get the calm, "at peace" feeling now. Its great!

I try to take omega3 fish oil, but not anything else. I might look into D3 as well.

EDIT: Oh! I should mention - I normally take about 400mg a day, sometimes 600mg but rarely.

Last edited by sondora88 : Thu, Apr-14-11 at 16:15.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 09:46

Plan: LCHF/NK
Stats: 196/165.7/145 Female 5' 9"
BF:too much!
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayustar
Thank you for posting this. I really need to get some of it but there are so many different types. I don't want to get the wrong stuff. Are you taking anything else along with it?

I'd like to hear what you Magnesium fans have to say too. I bought some yesterday, but it was Magnesium Citrate. I thought that was the recommended form... now I'm wondering.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 10:44

BF:

I think if you get chelated magnesium you'll do fine.

Took my second (250 mg) dose yesterday; and felt the calm. No tummy symptoms at all; the "go slow and ramp it up" method working so far.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 13:42

BF:
Default D3 and magnesium will help raise your spirits and make you calmer and happier!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayustar

The gals are taking D3 and magnesium. Mr Hutchinson and I both use iherb.com as their shipping costs to Europe are very low. It won't be a problem for you to order from them from Canada either. I've already heard from other Canadians on this forum that they've had no troubles. You might want to check if there are any limits on how much you can order to ensure that you don't have to pay any import duties or extra taxes. That should come up on the site when you enter in the country you want the goods shipped to.

The best D3 on offer at iherb.com is this one:

http://www.iherb.com/Healthy-Origin...gels/18335?at=0

At only $15 US for basically more than a year's supply, this is great value. I have been using them for about a year now, too, and can recommend them. I haven't had my D3 levels tested since I started using it, but will be getting them tested in about a month.

I don't know how far north you are in Canada, but most people in the same latitude as Northern Europe would need to take D3 for most of the year, apart from the months of April to October, when you can get the real thing from sunshine. If you can't get any real sun - half an hour max at mid-day would do the trick, say on your lunch-break - then take a capsule that day.

Recommendations vary on how much to take. I used to take one a day, but have gone down to just one every other day. Anything between 2K and 10K per day is recommended and can be safely taken.

To get the best synergistic effects, especially in terms of mood and happiness (see the posts by the happy ladies above!!!), then you take a good quality magnesium supplement with D3. These are the ones that Mr Hutchinson and I recommend:

I have used this one and have had good results with it:

http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-...lets/16567?at=0

Some of the good effects I have noticed were: lower back pain gone, edginess gone, leg cramps mostly gone (but I need to take the stuff regularly, as I seem to be still pretty low). New positive things: calmer, more balanced, practically no PMS any more, more energy, less moody and less prone to flying off the handle over nothing, happier, more able to take things in my stride.

This is another variety of chelated magnesium glycinate which Hutchinson recommends. I may try it just for the sake of scientific comparison but so far I have stuck to the Dr's Best brand because it is cheaper.

I was taking 400mg per day, but when my new bottle arrives, I may take more for a while to see if I get better results. I like what the ladies above are saying, but they are taking more than me, so maybe I need more to get the same effect!!!

If you want more information about dosing etc, just post again!

Hope this helps,

amanda