Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 08:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default What is CQ10 exactly supposed to do?

After reading several posts about how CQ10 and L-Carnitine get things moving, I went to the HFS but the salesperson told me it was for healthy heart functioning and had never heard it used for weight loss. Since it was so expensive, I only bought the L-carnitine and wanted to check more about this.
Does anybody know more about the use of CQ10?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 08:28

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

CQ10 is a precursor hormone. As we age, or have metabolic deficiencies, hormones are not produced in such great profusion. CQ10 makes sure the body has what it needs to make the proper hormones.
When I took it once it made my heart beat too fast, so I took that as a sign my body was still pumping out the hormones. But I know a few people who love how it makes them feel.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 08:32

Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

So do you think it could be dangerous to take it if we don't need it?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 09:03
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I doubt it could be *dangerous*, but I'm no expert...

The Eadeses wrote quite a bit about it in "Protein Power Lifeplan." It's an antioxidant as well as a precursor hormone. They suggest that healthy people take 90-100 mg per day, but more if you have heart disease, more still if you're on statin drugs. (One of the many extra-bonus side effects you get from those drugs: it depletes your body of CoQ10, a very important substance for the heart. So much for heart health! )
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 10:03

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I don't think it's "dangerous" I just took it as a sign my body was still doing well in that area. It's possible the symptom would have gone away after another few days...
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 10:36
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
The Eadeses wrote quite a bit about it in "Protein Power Lifeplan." It's an antioxidant as well as a precursor hormone. They suggest that healthy people take 90-100 mg per day, but more if you have heart disease, more still if you're on statin drugs. (One of the many extra-bonus side effects you get from those drugs: it depletes your body of CoQ10, a very important substance for the heart. So much for heart health! )

I was going to post this too, but you beat me to it! I had also read this in their book, and since my husband has been on statin drugs for years, I was SHOCKED, because your heart needs this, and here these statin drugs are taking it out of your system, therefore you have to suppliment...along with all those other bad things those statins do!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 10:27
Registered Member

Stats: 200/180/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

We have been using coenzyme Q10 for years in my family. We take it to prevent colds and upper resperitory infections. My husband is asthmatic and used to end up in the emergency ward every time he had a cold. That ended when he started taking Coq10. I've seen it clear up pneumonia too. I used it5 to get rid of a chronic sinus problem. It's an immune system builder. I used to get sick with colds all the time--now they are rare and if I do get sick, it's only a day or two at the most. Usually when I feel a scratchy throat, it disappears before it turns into a sore throat and cold.

CoQ10 is a naturally occuring enzyme found in high concentrations in all the smooth muscle tissue in the body. The highest concentration is in the heart. It's been used for angina and all sorts of heart conditions. People with gum disease show lower than normal levels of CoQ10 in gum tissue and the supplement has had good results there too.

I won't repeat all the stuff people have already said, which is all true. I heard in Japan they call it the longevity vitamin because they believe it not only lengthens the life span, but it increases the quality of life. As we grow older our production if CoQ10 decreases, so a supplement is a good idea even if it were only for the antioxident factor.

Personally, I take it every year from fall to spring to prevent colds and flu. I recommend it to all my friends, who have had similar experiences. If you do get sick, double or triple the dose, and it's gone before you know it. But usually it works as a preventative for me and I don't have to do that.

Linda
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 21:42

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by latingirl
Does anybody know more about the use of CQ10?
Thanks!

You may find this informative.
http://www.supplementwatch.com/supa...supplementId=91