Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 09:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/165/130 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 46%
Talking trip to the US

Hello everybody,

My name is Dana and I live in Belgium.
Just 19 days and my brother and I are going to the US for 4 weeks (California, Arizona, Utah and Nevada). I am really looking forward to this holliday, but I am afraid I will not be able to stick to this WOE.
Our budget is a little bit tight, so we will not be able to go out to dinner every day. Before I was on this diet, we bought some sandwiches, fruit, yochurt, cookies and things to eat .
Any tips for a Atkins holliday? (I don't think I've got enough space in my suitcase for clothes in different sizes, so I just can't gain weight on this trip LOL )

So all tips are welcome !
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 11:15

Stats: 135/127/123 Female 5'5-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Dana,
Before I make any suggestions, may I ask if this is your first trip to the US? Also, which cities will you be visiting in California? The reason for my questions is that often one can find inexpensive places to eat in this country. (But, if you have visited before, you already know that and I don't want to bore you!)
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 12:22

BF:

Thanks for the reply.
It's my first trip to that part of the states (I've been to Florida long ago).
We start in Los Angeles and go to Laughlin, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Page, Bluff, Moab, Bryce Canyon, Zion NP, Las Vegas, Lee Vining, Yosemite, San Francisco, Monterrey, Santa Barbara, and back to Los Angeles.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 12:28

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

You should be able to get bacon and eggs at almost any place. I would suggest having lunches that are lunchmeat and cheese etc. The kind of thing you are already doing. The SW US is fairly health concious I think, and you will find lots of health food grocery stores and restaurants. I don't mean fast food or expensive places, but I think you will be able to find low cost eats that fit the plan. Also: STAY AWAY from the buffets in Vegas!! Though they have lots of prime rib steak and shrimp and things like that, there are also lots of beautiful desserts and other things that will require a LOT of willpower (for me- that's the word I'd use).

Good luck, enjoy your stay, and take lots of pictures. IMO that's the most beautiful part of our wonderful country!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 12:48

BF:

Thanks,
Now I don' t have to worry and I am really looking forward ( I am counting the nights that I have to sleep before I go just like a little kid )
I know that Atkins is more common in the US than here in Belgium (nobody I know had ever heard abouth this WOE) but I also know that when I am on holliday I enjoy to taste the food of the country/ region I visit (read the desserts, sweets and fruits).
Ive been on Atkins a few years ago, but cheated when I was on holliday and never went back to the WOE (till 7 months ago)
I think I need a lot of willpower, because I am going on holliday with my brother and he is skinny (he would like to gain at least 5-10 kg)and can eat all those yummy carby things.

Thanks everybody for the quick reply and sorry if I've written to many mistakes (it has been years since I've had to use english)
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 14:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL/BFL exercise
Stats: 142/137/130
BF:
Progress: 42%

Most of our grocery stores have prepackaged salads that are washed and ready to eat. Don't forget to pack a salad sized bowl, fork, spoon, and knife. Some grocery stores sell whole chickens already cooked ($4 - $6). Don't forget to pick up some of the delicious LeCarb ice cream in the freezer section. If you are going to be hiking, you might be able to squeeze in some extra carbs. My favorite is Wasa Soya crisbread (found on the cracker aisle) with some no sugar/no sodium added peanut butter (just look at all the peanut butter jar labels). I've had this for breakfast. Strawberries are in season now and are delicious. To get some local flavor in your diet, try some of the SW salsas. For example, you can get red or green chili salsa on top of a grilled chicken breast. Try some of the local fish like trout almondine, and try pinon (pine) nuts on meat, fish, and veggies. I don't think the SW is famous for it's desserts, but a lot of the places you are going to have Low Carb dessert shops. You can get into the local flavor by tasting some local wines. Don't forget that Swiss Army knife with a corkscrew. Wendy's and McDonalds sell big salads for approximately $4. McDonalds sells breakfasts pretty cheap. You could get an Egg McMuffin for about $2 and not eat the bread. You can buy SF jello already made into little cups at the grocery store. That might satisfy your sweet tooth. Have a wonderful trip. Don't forget the sunblock! I bet you meet some fantastic people and see some awesome sights. Dallasalis
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 14:45
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Many supermarkets in urban areas in the U.S. have a salad bar. You can fix yourself a nice salad and then go to the deli to buy sliced meat to put on top of it. There is also usually hard boiled egg available on the salad bar. They also usually have some already washed strawberries and pieces of melon. Just remember that they charge for the salad bar by the ounce and some ingredients weigh a lot more than others! Usually there is a scale nearby so you can weigh it yourself and get an idea of what it will cost before you get to check-out.

As someone else already wrote, many supermarkets also have already cooked rotisserie chickens.

I have found Boston Market to be a good, inexpensive fast food place while traveling in the U.S. You can get half a small chicken with two different vegetables as sides for $6 or $7 -- either to eat there or to take out. Their sliced turkey is also good. If you go to Boston Market, tell them not to give you the cornbread! It's great, and very hard to resist if you take a bite.

Enjoy your trip -- you are going to some great places!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 14:49

Stats: 135/127/123 Female 5'5-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Unlike the last reply, I would highly recommend the buffets in Las Vegas and Laughlin. I understand about the willpower, but the VALUE you get for what you pay is remarkable. Where else can you dine on all the roast beef, shrimp, ham, turkey, salad, etc., you can eat from anywhere between $10-20 per person (depending on your budget and/or preferences)?

If you are driving and cannot find a market to buy/save on things to eat, two places come to mind, where one can eat rather reasonably: Denny's (you will find them EVERYWHERE, and they can be seen from any freeway). The food is not the best the country has to offer, but the portions are good for what you pay. Truck stops would be another spot. Look for places on the side of the road where there are a lot of trucks parked. Here, too, the portions are relatively large for what you spend. Just make sure to notice how they are usually served and don't be afraid to ask for your meals without sauces/gravies when it is not impossible for the restaurant to do so. I have found that, in general, the restaurants here are quite willing to accomodate the customer when possible. Also, both these types of places serve breakfast (US/Brit style) 24-hours a day; give the toast to that skinny brother of yours!

Remember, also, that the dinners served in MANY American restaurants include a first course of salad and/or soup. (Read the find print on the menus.) By staying away from the more expensive ones (read European-style a la carte), you can save money. However, many restaurants here do not post the menu on the outside. If you are not sure that a place does not meet your needs/taste/budge, don't be too shy to enter and ask to see a menu first. I do it all the time.

Many of the larger supermarkets have "salad bars", where you choose from a number of items and pay by the pound. These are generally located inside the market, right by the delicatessen (charcuterie). Here, they can also usually make you a sandwich at reasonable prices. Be careful because the delis usually close by 6:30/7:00 in the evening. In addition, where there is a deli, they also usually sell whole, hot, ready-to-eat chickens that have been roasted on the rotisserie. You can buy a 3-pound whole, cooked-and-seasoned chicken for about US$6 to 7. You need to get into the town to get to these supermarkets (what I mean is, they serve the population, not the people travelling on the Interstate highways). For snacking in the evening the motel, you can look for Pork Rinds in the Snacks aisle. The "Mission" brand on the West Coast does not have sugar.

In southern California, there is a chain of hamburger restaurants named "In-n-Out" where you can buy a double hamburger with cheese for US$2.50. Give the bread to your brother. Oh, also make sure that if you eat at any of the hamburger places here, ask for them without catsup--- most of the places serve them with catsup.

That's all I can think of for the moment. I hope this helps and I am sure that there are many other people on this forum who have a lot of other suggestions.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 20:32

Stats: 236.5/223/120
BF:
Progress: 12%

RE Los Angeles

There is a food chain called El Pollo Loco. it is charbroiled chicken that comes with salsa and tortilla(tell them not to give you the tortillas!).

In-N-Out Burgers will prepare your double-double (trust me, it's the one to order) "protien style", which is on lettuce instead of a bun.

At any Mexican fast food hole in the wall place you can get a Carne Asada Burrito and just eat the insides (fabulous grilled meat & veggies).

There is a big Chinese food chain called Panda Express (it's in most malls and alot of Von's grocery stores). It's not on the menu, but they will cook meat & veggies to order.

Near the ocean, you can easily find seafood restraunts. Grilling is big out here.

We also have lots of sushi places.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 02:19

BF:

Thanks everybody, what would I do without you all !
I've printed all your tips so I can take them with me.