Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 16:41

Plan: Atkins (basic LC) + Portion Control
Stats: 174/144/120
BF:
Progress: 56%
Talking Don't Wanna Count & Record Keep ... Can I Do This?

I'm really bad at counting carbs and record keeping. I think this is one of the reasons I fell off the wagon last year. That and misinformation that said that the reason I got kidney stones was because of the high protein I was eating.

I got bogged down with challenges and re-doing induction and stuff like that and found it was becoming all consuming. So when I was told that the cause of my kidney stones was due to the high protein I was somewhat relieved to be relieved of my paperwork and went off the LC WOL. I have since discovered that this was incorrect information.

Anyway, I'm back with a vengence. I KNOW that LC is the right way to go but it's the infernal counting and record keeping that may be my downfall again.

So, what I'm wondering here is:

Can one successfully do LC as a WOL by NOT counting carbs and NOT keeping records? My plan of action is:

(a) To only eat foods that I know are LC. (I have a list & a carb book)

(b) To drink my water (this is a difficult one for me folks).

(c) To do ONE form of exercise every day, whether it's only a 10 minute old fashioned rock & roll dance from the 50's. LOL

Will this work or am I deluding myself?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 17:12

Plan: low-carb Ali style
Stats: 175/167.5/145 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:No idea
Progress: 25%

Hi Snowbird,
I feel the same, I'm sick and tired of counting anything, calories, WeightWatcher points, carbs. To me counting isn't a WOL, it's all consuming so I refuse to do it.
Lc'ing allows me not to count. I just stick to food I know I'm allowed and only eat until I'm full. I struggle with water too, infact I haven't drunk any today. I've drunk alot of decaf tho and 1 diet coke. I wouldn't advise this but I just can't do it, especially at weekends.
The only thing I do is note what I've eaten in my journal, it takes me 2 minutes to type and is a good way to keep myself in check. Also if I hit problems I'd like help and advice from others, checking out my meals might be a good way to do this.
Don't beat yourself up, do what's right for you !!
Good luck and welcome back
Ali
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 17:28

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

You know...the counting part only lasts as long as it takes you to get a handle on how many carbs are in certain foods. As much as I like to encourage variety, I know that many people are creatures of habit and tend to stick with the same group of veggies and other foods over and over.
Make a list of all the foods that you eat most frequently along with their carb counts per serving and keep it posted on the refrigerator. That way, you'll have a handy at-a-glance guide for what you're about to eat. You could even try making yourself a chart for things that have carbs like cheese, veggies, cream and coffee and check off boxes as you go through the day so you can see at a glance where you are. Another option would be to set a carb limit per meal and so you only have to count how many you have at a meal and not worry about how many you've had for the day as long as you stick with your per-meal carb limit.
The purpose for counting carbs has two sides; first to make sure that you aren't getting too many and then to make sure that you are getting enough.
If you find keeping track difficult, how about giving Fitday a try? Here's a link to the website: www.fitday.com It's free and doesn't take long to register. You can put in the foods you eat as you go through the day to see how well you are keeping on track. It also allows you to see how many grams of protein, fat and calories you are eating as well as giving you the ability to see how well you are meeting your nutritional needs all for the small price of a few minutes and a couple of clicks on your mouse.
Yes, you can low carb by sticking with foods that you know are low in carbs, but you may be depriving yourself unnecessarily by doing that and eating way fewer carbs than you could. On the other hand, you may be unwittingly sabotaging yourself by eating way more carbs than you think.
No matter which weight loss plan you choose, you are going to wind up counting something; either carbs or calories and fat grams. I guess it just comes down to what you are more comfortable counting.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 20:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/234/150 Female Five Feet
BF:40%
Progress: 7%
Thumbs down Been there, counted that

Oh yea, I recently found out that when you have to count your food, it feels exactly like a diet. Not once when I was on atkins recently, did I ever feel like I was on a "diet". It felt like a lifestyle change and eating habits change and I felt a whole lot better than I have been feeling. When I started last year, I hardly ever counted carbs. I had my list of "no" foods that I knew was bad for me and made me feel bad, so I didn't eat them, plain and simple. I exercised about 3 times a week. I need to exercise more now, but since I have two jobs, it is very hard. I recently took up pilates, which is harder than I ever thought. So, yes, you can do it w/o counting carbs. Just stick to your no list. Good luck and if you ever want to ask questions, voice your concerns, or better yet, tell us about your weight loss, we are here for you.
Belle
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 21:47
Registered Member

Stats: 293/293/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I don't count...

I haven't counted since I started. I do check my book to see what the carbs are but I don't write anything down, I just keep it in my head, and so far I have done well. Also, I do check the carbs on items when I purchase them and make my decision based on that.

On someone's post I read the comment once "if you have to count the carbs you're eating too many." Now, I know that this is definitely not the way for everyone and I'm fortunate it works for me, but just so you know, it can be done.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 21:51

Plan: Atkins (basic LC) + Portion Control
Stats: 174/144/120
BF:
Progress: 56%

Yeah record keeping and counting is not a WOL it is a full time job!

I think this way (no record keeping & counting) it's going to work for me. If I'm not bogged down by record keeping or counting or trying to match food groups (combination eating) ... well then I think I just might be able to do this.

Last year I bought the Weight Commander program and it's pretty good. I just went to Fitday and registered. Ooops, looks like my fat content is too high, gotta watch that. Fitday is good for showing you things like that. I like it. I like LC'ing too as I get to eat my favourite (Canadian spelling here folks) foods.

... and here's the kicker: I'm type 2 diabetic and today after LC eating, my blood sugar reading was, 2 hrs. after eating (4.1). For US readings multiply that by 19 to get (77.9). It that great or what? I am taling 2 X 5mg. pills of Glyberide twice a day (4 pills in total). Now with these lower readings I think tomorrow I will take only 1 pill at breakfast and 1 at dinner (unless my readings go too low ... which it did almost 2 years ago when I began LC.

And hey ... I got to eat a left-over pork chop for lunch. Yippee ... !
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 06:10

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Default Re: Don't Wanna Count & Record Keep ... Can I Do This?

Quote:
Originally posted by SnowbirdNJ
Can one successfully do LC as a WOL by NOT counting carbs and NOT keeping records? My plan of action is:

(a) To only eat foods that I know are LC. (I have a list & a carb book)

(b) To drink my water (this is a difficult one for me folks).

(c) To do ONE form of exercise every day, whether it's only a 10 minute old fashioned rock & roll dance from the 50's. LOL

Will this work or am I deluding myself?

It can deffinetly be done. I quit counting after a while. Although have you counted at all? Because once you do it even for a few days, you start getting a general idea of how much of everything you can eat. Most people don't even measure vegetables with cups, ya can kinda do it by eye. So yea if you already got the general idea down, go for it.

If you start stalling or anything, take a look at what you're eating. Just because you're eating only the lowcarb foods on your list dosen't mean you can't overdo it. Carbs can easily creep up on you without you knowing it. www.fitday.com is alot easier then actually counting things too.

As for water, just fill 2 32oz (I just use a 52oz lol) cups every night, put them in the fridge and drink em throughout the day.. So ya don't have to really count that either lol.

Last edited by SlimShAdY : Sun, Jan-12-03 at 06:13.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 21:34

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/196/160
BF:
Progress: 45%

Im the most disorganised person in the world, but counting carbs is easy. Just get one of those small diaries and write in the phone number section the values of foods you eat the most (your own little alphabetised reference book!!) and whenever you prepare or eat a meal take not of the carbs. It only takes 30 seconds per meal.....
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 00:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

If you don't want to count carbs or record keep, make a list of foods that you will be eating with the portion size and carb count beside it. All you have to do is refer to it until you are really comfortable with this WOE. There is more advice on this here.

Record keeping is not necassary if you plan to stay on the "straight and narrow". Eating real and not processed foods- what we refer to as frankenfoods - that are made in laboratories.

If you find yourself getting into bars, artificially sweetened foods, heavy dairy or nuts and seem to stall for a long period of time, it's good to have a reference to figure out why - or if you wabt to come here and ask for advice - which is where record keeping comes in handy.

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 04:51

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

I don't record-keep either. I will 'stare and compare' on items at the grocery store in order to be sure I'm buying as low carb as I can. Since I'm diabetic I can test to see what's going on. I'm on this for the rest of my life, so I don't bother to count any more. I've been doing this long enough I *know* what I can and can't have now.....
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 10:09
Registered Member

Stats: 293/293/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

The reason I don't count carbs isn't because I find it too difficult (I don't think anyone would be trying to insult my intelligence)....I just don't want or feel I need to. I make sure I know the carbs of what I eat, remember the figures, and try and lead an otherwise normal life. Counting everything you put in your mouth, for the rest of your life, is not living...but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 02:46

Plan: low-carb Ali style
Stats: 175/167.5/145 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:No idea
Progress: 25%

I 100% agree with you Susan, so that must make you a little bit right !!
Each to their own...everyone has there own way of going about this WOE...we prefer not to count, lots of people like to.

Conclusion - whatever works for you....

Happy no-counting

Ali
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 16:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins variation
Stats: 225/222/190 Male 6 feet 1 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Grocery counting.. or something

I've never counted carbs either, but to each his own. One thing I do, that has been touched on slightly, is when I'm buying groceries, I check out the carb count on the package. If it is something that I can eat by itself, or with other very low carb foods, I go for it. For instance, Bologna (please no nitrate lectures). I know I am going to eat Bologna by itself, so the 1 carb a slice is not a bother to me. However, sour cream. Sour cream has enough carbs in it for me to stay away. I know it doesn't have many, but it's not something I eat by itself. I always have it with veggies, so that increases my carb count. Keep in mind this is just a quick thinking process i go thru in the grocery store when I'm buying my food, I don't write any of it down, because I don't need to. I know what I'm buying from the start is going to keep me on the straight and narrow.
Wow did I babble, I hope that makes sense and perhaps helps,
-Chad
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 20:32

Plan: low carb
Stats: 146/132/130
BF:
Progress: 88%

Hi Snowbird I only count inches lost and pounds of weight removed.

Since I began LCing a year ago, I completely refused to count calories or keep tallies or make charts. No matter what you learned in the past about 'dieting' and no matter what others will tell you worked for them, if you found the counting issue destructive, stop doing it! For a few months at the beginning of my LC journey I mentally added up my daily carb intake. Other than that, I ignored all advice regarding doing math. Heck, if I wanted to count, I could have gone back to the evil Weight Watchers and tallied up my points while I gained weight. Sheesh!

Dr. Schwarzbein, in her first book, The Schwarzbein Principle speaks to this topic of counting. She believes, and I agree 100%, that counting is actually a huge part of the illness that is obesity. LC changed my life for the better in so many ways. I have no time or energy to count.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 10:16
Registered Member

Plan: LC + LowER Cal (~1500)
Stats: 159/155/145?
BF:16%, goal 6-7%
Progress: 5%

Sounds like a great idea to me! Especially the 50's dancing hehe. Just make sure you don't eat too many low carb things. Lots of low carb = High carb. You say you are doing portion control, (which i think is a great idea) so you shouldn't have to worry about eating too many low carb things.