Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#676   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-18, 06:23

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Today's Stats
214.4 lbs (new low) 25.1% BF

Gonna see about some cardio today at work. No way I'm going to have time to legit exercise at home, this close to Christmas. There is a lot of cleaning and baking to finish. Christmas cards were last night after work, and tomorrow is our daughter's Christmas program. Day after that, relatives arrive at Spokane Airport. Busy times!

I'm still managing to eat clean - even with a lot of temptations around at home and work. The stats reflect that.

Edit:

Earlier I mentioned that the number of stair steps from the ground floor to the top of the Empire State Building is 1576 steps.

And I calculated that my two flights of stairs here at work are 31 stair steps. And how many trips it would take to be equal to the number of stair steps on the Empire State Building:

1576/31 = 51 trips up and down.

I did that today. Avg heart rate 147, Time 35:20

I wasn't moving very fast. I'm pretty tired physically, and my knees are still a little sore from doing two stair steps at once the other day.

Still, it was a goal - goal accomplished!

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Wed, Dec-19-18 at 19:00.
Sponsored Links
  #677   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-18, 10:44

BF:

Today's Stats:
215 24.9%
  #678   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-18, 20:24

BF:

Took a week off while we had company over Christmas.

The week was filled with gastronomic debauchery of the worst kind. I won't go into details, other than to state that a lot of carbs were consumed in various forms. Anyhow, back to it!

Today's Stats: 218.5 lbs, 25.2% BF

Chest, Back, Abs

Circuit 1
Bench Press 140x10,10 (very close to failure after 8 reps), 110x10
One Arm Dumbbell Row 90x5 (awful form, reduced the weight) 70x10,10,6(fail)

Circuit 2
Landmine Rows 50x10,10,10
Dumbbell Flyes 30x10,10,10

Plate Shrugs 45x20,20,20

Ab Roller 10,10,10

Plate Side Bends 45x20,20,20

Landmine Oblique Twist 25x10,10,10

Avg heart rate 155, Time 39 min

Edit:
Cardio. Climbed the equivalent of the Empire state building, two flights of stairs at a time. Avg heart rate 159. Time 36 min.

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Fri, Dec-28-18 at 23:54.
  #679   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-18, 18:23

BF:

Today's Stats:
216.2 lbs, 27% BF

It's leg day, but I didn't get to it at home.

We had several inches of snow last night that needed to be cleared off the property. I wouldn't have worried much about the snow, but it's warming. They are predicting rain, followed by freezing temperatures. If several inches of snow gets soft and then freezes, it's nearly impossible to remove without hiring a dozer or grader. It's best to take time to plow the driveway while it's still mushy. So we did that.

I'm headed to work soon, and I'll see what can be done for legs with body-weight exercises at work later on tonight.

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Sat, Dec-29-18 at 23:34.
  #680   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-18, 15:51

BF:

Today's Stats:
215.4 lbs, 26.7% BF - back down to within a pound of my pre-Christmas low.

...and it's still leg day. LOL.

It was a good move to plow the mushy snow off the driveway yesterday. The temperature is supposed to drop to 16F (-9C for non-USians) overnight.

Didn't get to legs last night at work. Felt kinda worn out - probably from climbing the Empire State Building in stair steps the previous night.

I also didn't feel like trying to figure out alternative exercises to deadlifts, barbell squats. Nor did I feel like performing glute bridges on a filthy floor. So today, I'll take care of legs!

Edit: Done.

Was pretty wobbly-gobbly coming up out of the basement gym afterwards, so the legs got spanked pretty hard. That said, the weights were a bit off from where I was at before Christmas break, so I put in a fourth set to compensate.

Circuit 1
Squats 100x10,10,10 70x10
Good Mornings 100x10,10,10 70x10

Circuit 2
Deadlifts 180x10,10,10 130x10
Single Leg Calf Raise 15,15,15,10

Circuit 3
Hamstring Curls 50x10,10,9(fail)
Leg Extensions 75x10,10,10

Weighted Glute Bridge, feet and knees together 30x10,10,10
Weighted Glute Bridge, feet and knees apart 30x10,10,10

Lying side leg lifts 15,15

Ran out of time to continue. Had to pack lunch, shower, grab a bite, and slam some protein. I'll see about cardio later on while at work.

Edit 2:
Mild Cardio - each arm:
One arm dumbbell clean and press 30x10,10,10,10

10 min, 149 Avg heart rate

Not sure if this was a wise exercise for cardio, because tomorrow (ugh - later today) is shoulders. Had to get the heart rate up somehow, and the legs are out of commission at the moment.

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Mon, Dec-31-18 at 02:18.
  #681   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-18, 18:31

BF:

Today's stats
215.4 lbs 24.9% BF

Shoulders, Abs

Circuit 1
Barbell Military Press 60x10,10,10 Finisher 40x10
Dumbbell Upright Row 30x10,10,10 Finisher 25x5

Circuit 2
Front Raises 15x10,10,10 Finisher 10x5
Lateral Raise 15x10,10,10 Finisher 10x5
Bent Lateral Raise 15x10,10,10 Finisher 10x5 (probably could have gone 5 lbs more on each of these. Rear deltoids are a stronger muscle group)

Finish off shoulders with a set of Arnolds
Standing Arnold Press 30x5 (too much!!) 20x5,10,10

Abs
Sit-ups 20,20 - abs still a bit tender from the ab roller the other day.

Time and intensity: 33 minutes, 144 avg Heart Rate.
Cardio later at work, maybe.

I'm eyeballing the Tapatio Doritos that are on sale at the local supermarket... $1.78. Normally around four bucks. Normally the price keeps me away from my favorite snack. Guess with New Year's resolutions, they have to adjust the price to 45% of normal. They know how to tempt a guy, for certain!

Edit: Got to work and I'm not really up to cardio tonight. Legs are too tender to do stairs. Decided to spank the delts a little further with lighter weights.

Arnold Presses: 30x10,5,5,5
Dumbbell Front Raises 12x10,10,10
Dumbbell Lateral Raises 12x10,10,10
Bent over dumbbell Lateral Raises 12x10,10,10

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Tue, Jan-01-19 at 01:59.
  #682   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-19, 03:50

BF:

Happy New Year to anyone stopping by here

This is the time of year when people make resolutions to change their habits for the better. That's a good thing, although of course you can decide to do that ANY day of the year! Right now though, is the time when we actually ponder what we want to improve, and decide to grit our teeth and set about doing it.

With that thought in mind, I decided it might be a good idea to make a New Year's Day Resolution Gym Log entry, for anyone who happens to swing by in search of some motivation/edification/amusement.

If you decide that you're going to turn over a new leaf and begin exercising, I applaud you! We are on the same journey toward fitness and wellness, just on different parts of the path. I thought it would be useful to take a moment and share some hard-earned knowledge about traveling that path effectively.

I'm not speaking as an expert, but rather as someone who has screwed up in many, many, different ways. If I manage to keep someone from wasting their time and effort going down a blind alley, then it will be worth it!

Read on, if you are still interested...

1. The TV says that after a certain age, you should speak with your doctor before starting an exercise program. That's solid advice. Here is some more advice: You should also get a doctor's advice before you decide to stop exercising. I'm pretty sure your doctor would recommend you stick with it.

2. Muscles don't grow at the gym. They get damaged at the gym. They grow while you recover afterwards. During that time they require rest and feeding. Building muscles is similar to building up a callus on your hand. If you overdo it, you end up with a bloody hand and no callus. Same with exercise. 30-40 minutes of tearing down your muscles should be plenty. And then, give them ample time and protein to heal and grow stronger.

3. You cannot out-exercise a crappy diet - you just can't. If you eat even minor amounts of sugars or simple carbs (starch), you are either going to see NADA, or seriously interfere with your fitness goals. I can't state this strongly enough: Diet is the key here. Keep an iron grip on what you eat, and you will get results. Or cheat - but don't complain about your results!

4. Exercising Abs really hard won't remove the fat from your abs. Bad news: Your belly fat will be about the last thing to go. From what I've noticed, fat tends to disappear from the extremities first, or maybe it's just more obvious at the extremities because there wasn't as much fat there to begin with.

5. Along with the above item, don't waste your money on an ab machine. Fat doesn't metabolize like that. If you want to lose fat faster, exercise your butt and quads instead. Those are big muscles, and working those hard will burn more calories than your abs ever will. But back to point #3, proper diet is what causes fat to disappear. Exercise is a distant second.

6. It's up to you to decide how to go about losing weight and getting fit. It's possible to do both simultaneously, and it's probably the most difficult path. I'm doing that - but I'm kind of impatient.

7. If you are more patient (and smarter) than I am, and decide to lose the fat before attempting to build muscle, just go keto and stay there. But you will also need to watch the calories. Fat has a lot of calories, and your body still has to process them - if you eat a lot of LC cheesecake every day, you are going to have a hard time losing weight. It will certainly slow down the process.

8. When/If you decide it's time to put on some muscle, and you start exercising, you are going to be absolutely ravenous. Increase your protein and reduce fat. Add in a moderate amount complex carbs that have fiber - like steel-cut oats.

9. Not all protein is created equal. Casein (cottage cheese) is sort of a slow-digesting time-release protein. A little cottage cheese just before bed time is excellent. That way your muscles get a good supply of amino acids all night long to help them grow.

Whey protein on the other hand is like throwing gasoline on a fire. It's good right after you've lifted (not after cardio) to replenish your damaged and depleted muscles quickly. It causes an insulin spike, which helps to transport the nutrients into your depleted cells more quickly. A whey-induced insulin spike after a hard workout is actually a good thing. Insulin is anabolic, meaning it aids muscle growth.

Animal protein is in between the two above, and a good staple. Beef, chicken, pork, fish, it's all good - except I don't care for fish, so there's that.

10. Cardio. It's important, but don't overdo it! After a while cardio will induce stress hormones and tip your metabolism to catabolysis, meaning that you are metabolizing muscle tissue! You need that muscle to stay put so that you can burn fat!

Stick to 20-40 minutes per session. Das it. No mas. If you are super motivated, you can probably do 2 cardio sessions, but space them several hours apart so that catabolysis doesn't set in. Why even bother with cardio? To keep your cell mitochondria revved up, so that excess nutrients in your bloodstream don't end up getting turned into body fat.

11. Shake it up. Your body adapts to whatever exercise you are doing, and eventually your results taper off. Try new exercises. Try the same exercises but with way more weight and less reps. Try Pyramiding. Try Negatives. Lighten up and do way more reps. You have to keep your body guessing, or your progress will plateau.

12. Stay away from alcohol. There are a couple of reasons for this. Your liver is what breaks down body fat into ketones while you are in ketosis or in a calorie deficit. Alcohol (ethanol) is a toxin, and your liver recognizes this, and switches from fat burning to removing the toxins from your bloodstream. Until your liver manages to clean up your bloodstream, you are not burning any fat. Of course it will also knock you out of keto.

Alcohol is a carbohydrate. Your liver will convert it to fat - inside the liver. That's really bad for you. Also you are probably getting a lot of other carbs along with the alcohol. Best to forego it.

Anyway, that's about all can think of right now. Once again, this is not an "expert" lecturing you on how to exercise, but an idiot who just listed a whole bunch of mistakes, and is sharing lessons that were learned the hard way.

Hopefully someone out there will read this, learn from it, and manage to forego a few of the multitude of mistakes I have made over the years.

Once again, Happy New Year, and good luck with those resolutions!

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Thu, Jan-03-19 at 10:48.
  #683   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-19, 15:37

BF:

Stats Today:
216 lbs, 24%BF

It's 1:30 PM. Still waking up after finishing that final night shift at 6:00 AM. Arms in a bit.

Edit: 4:00 PM. Got em done.

Arms

Circuit 1
(bench press also hits the pecs quite a bit, which I like)
Bench Press 140x5 110x10,10,10
Hammer Curls 25x10,10,10

Circuit 2
Incline French Press 40x10,10,10
Incline Curls 20x10,10,10

Circuit 3
Cross face extensions 20x10,10,10
EZ bar 21's 40lbs, 30, 30 These things are brutal. I highly recommend them!

Circuit 4 (forearms)
Wrist Curls 20x10,10,10
Rev. Wrist Curl 15x10,7(fail) 10x10,10

Time/Intensity: 28 min Avg Heart Rate 133 BPM

Cardio:
Elliptical 1.5 miles. First 1/2 mile resistance 1, Last mile resistance 2

Nearly quit after the first half mile. Just wasn't feeling great - probably due to lack of sleep from coming off night shift.

Happily, an energetic Danish Metal Tune came up on the playlist and kept me moving. It helps that the video involves working out. I listened twice to get the extra mile completed. I should probably put that whole CD on my playlist. Those guys really rock it! .

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Tue, Jan-01-19 at 18:17.
  #684   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-19, 12:34

BF:

Today's Stats
215.6 lbs 25.8% BF

Scheduled day off the iron. We shall see about cardio. I have a tree to undecorate and get rid of.
  #685   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-19, 22:59

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Catching up on your gym log. Looks like you’ve been hitting it solid. Like what you said about steps to the Empire State Building. I am going to think of that every time I get on the stair climber now. I may even look up some other famous monuments for comparison.

Also enjoyed reading your thoughts on Fitness. Number 3 is totally totally true. At the rate I work out, I should be back at my goal weight, but I have been inconsistent with a healthy diet in the past year. I had a very wise trainer tell me that abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.

Have a healthy and happy new year!
  #686   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-19, 09:19

BF:

Today's Stats
214.4 lbs (tie for low weight) 25% BF

Previous low weight was reached on Dec 18 - so I set myself back two weeks!!! Pretty much what I expected though. It took a week to gain it and another week to drop it.

I think I'm going to follow my own advice and try some pyramiding sets this week.

Chest and Back - skipped out on abs. Shaking things up just a bit. Different weights and reps.

Bench Press 170x4, 150x5, 140x5, 120x7, 110x6, 100x7, 90x7

Landmine Rows 100x5,5 120x5,5 100x5,5 80x5,7,5,5

Barbell shrugs 130x15,12,15,10 80x20

Lat Cable Pulldown 70x25,20,15

Incline Flyes 20x15,20,20

Time and intensity: 38min 143 Avg Heart Rate

Cardio: Elliptical, 10 min ~ resistance 2. 1.3 miles.

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Thu, Jan-03-19 at 19:40.
  #687   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-19, 05:51

BF:

Today's Stats:
214.2 (new low) 25.5% BF

Downstairs in the weight room, the wife had a rickety fold-down clothing rack in one corner. She would put clean shirts that needed to be ironed on it. Unfortunately over the holidays, she got behind, and the rack got way overloaded. Yesterday it snapped the plastic parts due to the weight of all the shirts.

So to get to the point, my barbell is being used as a clothing rack at the moment, which I'm OK with, because it's leg day!

After work I'm going to have to figure out where to put all that clean laundry so that I can work legs. Sounds like a lot of trouble just to put myself through the unpleasantness of leg day... like masochism!

...and of course I'm going to have to build her a new clothes rack soon. I can probably cobble something together in a day that will look better and be stronger than my first treehouse. Here in my free time! LOL.

Edit:
A little cardio at work: 20 trips to the top of my two flights of stairs. 12 minutes, 144 heart rate.

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Fri, Jan-04-19 at 18:53.
  #688   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-19, 04:14

BF:

Today's Stats:
Insomnia. 214.6 lbs, 27.6%BF

Legs and Butt this evening after work. Feeling a little malaise - probably due to the insomnia earlier. For that reason, I went easy on the weight to avoid blowing up my heart.

Squats 100x10,10,10,10
Good Mornings 100x10,10,10,10

Deadlifts 100x20,15,10
Barbell Calf Raise 100x20,17,15

Dumbbell Glute Bridge, knees and feet together 30x10,10

Dumbbell Glute Bridge, knees and feet apart 30x10,10

Time and Intensity
18 min, 142 Heart Rate avg.

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Sat, Jan-05-19 at 21:25.
  #689   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-19, 06:33

BF:

Today's Stats
213.4 (new low) 24.5% BF

Cardio and shoulders later on at work.

Cardio done.

40 trips up and down the two flights. 25 min, avg heart rate 159.

I wanted to do the full 51 trips, for the Empire State Building 1576 stair steps. However I got a little dizzy at the top of the stairs a couple of times. At that point I slowed way down and finished to the nearest 10.

I don't want to be the old guy who has a cardiac event on the stairs at work.

I want to be the old guy who has a cardiac event when a logging truck pulls out in front of me while I'm riding a wheelie :-)

Edit later on: Shoulders (partial - will finish up at home)

One arm dumbbell clean and press 30x10,5,5,5,5,5

Combined front and lateral raises 10x10,5,5,5,5,5

Reverse raises 10x20,20

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Sun, Jan-06-19 at 18:23.
  #690   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-19, 08:55

BF:

Today's Stats:
213.4 lbs (tie for low with yesterday) 22.2% BF

Arms later on. Finish shoulders from yesterday.

Edit: Got that done.

Shoulders (continued from yesterday)
Dumbbell upright row 30x10,10,10
Military Press 100x3(fail) 70x10 60x6

Arms circuit 1
Dumbbell Curls 30x10 25x10,10
Bench Press 150x8 (wobbly at the end-no spotter!) 100x10,10

circuit 2
Kickbacks 25x10 20x10,10
Hammer Curls 25x10,10

Forearms
Wrist curl 25x10
Reverse Wrist curl 20x10

Time and intensity
23 min, 149 BPM

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Fri, Jan-11-19 at 16:48.