Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#991   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-08, 17:41
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

OK, Dane, I'm ready to give this another go on Monday. I'm going to ease into it very slowly. I mean very slowly.

Give me ONE exercise and ONE exercise ONLY for the upper body and ONE for the lower body. I'm thinking squats and Arnold's--how does that sound for a start?

And how many reps/sets should I do? (For the legs I will start with one set of 8 and go from there.) 3 sets of 8? 2 sets of 12?

I'll add deadlifts and the back (or should I add chest next?) when I feel ready. I really wish I had the capability to do lat pull downs. I could kick my DH for convincing me to sell my Total Gym. The only good exercise on it was the pull-ups. Putting the band over the door just didn't cut it. It felt like I wasn't doing anything.

I know I'm a wus. But I have to start somewhere. Believe me, I don't want to exercise at all, especially since I'm losing well without it. But I don't want to lose strength or bone mass or muscle mass or any of that.

Efficiency. Works large groups. Like your beginner workout. That's what I need.

Last edited by ElleH : Fri, Apr-25-08 at 17:47.
Sponsored Links
  #992   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-08, 08:48
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet
Dane

Thanks for calming me down!!! I do feel a lot better mentally after reading your post. Physically I feel like I could fall asleep at this keyboard right now though......
Good, I'm glad you're feeling better......albeit sleepy.
  #993   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-08, 08:55
muscle bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Sungirl
Awesome workout Dane...especially the RDL..grr....jealous! I am still trying to get there!

On your previous post...post lift gains???...you mean like "pump" or do you mean on the scale?

Thanks JJ! By post lift gains I was merely laughing at the scale weight. Massive doms still--so the carbs coupled with the inflammation of doms has caused massive water retention, hence the huge scale jump. Back to 158.8 this morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
BTW, are you taking any supps right now? I am thinking about trying a Nitric oxide product, like Superpump 250. Any experience with stuff like that?
I don't take any supps right now (unless you count fish oil and protein powder, ) because of breastfeeding, but also because there really aren't that many out there that are worth anything. Except for creatine--I'll take that when I'm done nursing.

I'd save your $$ and not bother with the Nitric Oxide (NO) product--all it will do is give you a pump, as NO is a vasodilator, increasing blood flow. If the product has creatine and/or caffeine in it, it might give you energy, too, but you'd be better off just buying those things separately. Insulin increases NO production, so you could just have some cookies prior to workout and get the same benefits, a lot cheaper,

Srsly, though, all it will do is give you a pump, which is purely visual--no performance or growth advantage, unfortunately.
  #994   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-08, 08:57
muscle bound

Elle, I have some info for you that might help, but I'll take it to your journal so you can have easy access to it.
  #995   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-08, 20:08

Plan: Semi LC
Stats: 188/175/169 Female 67.5 in.
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane
Insulin increases NO production, so you could just have some cookies prior to workout and get the same benefits, a lot cheaper,

Srsly, though, all it will do is give you a pump, which is purely visual--no performance or growth advantage, unfortunately.
Aww...dang...burst my bubble...yeah I'll take the cookies LoL
  #996   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 13:01
Registered Member

Hey Dane,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that for me. I had heard both of those philosophies, too. I even looked through a complete knee-rehab plan designed for someone who was basically starting over after surgery or something. It started with things I wouldn't need to start with, like bending the knee in bed, of course, but it did progress to squats and jumps and stuff later on. I wondered if I should do that.

But then part of me likes the "just do what doesn't hurt" philosophy, although I fully realize that won't do much to strengthen around my knees, in fact, it could make the problem worse, by making some areas stronger and leaving some weaker due to lack of use, in theory, at least!

I am scared, to tell you the truth! My knees have been feeling SO DAMN GOOD the last 2 weeks when I haven't done A DAMN THING. No popping, creaking, grinding, weakness, soreness, pain...NOTHING. I told Mark they are "inert." I'm totally unaware of them. Which is wonderful, for a change.

Part of me is saying, "Just leave them the hell alone. You've abused them enough for 2 lifetimes with all your sports."

<sigh>
  #997   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 02:19
muscle bound

I know, it sucks. My knees have bothered me in the past, but luckily lately they've been good. I REALLY want to start jogging again, because I love it, but my knees don't. Maybe now that I'm lighter I can get away with it, dunno.

I would still encourage you to do some strength training. Take it slow, pay attention to any warning signs. It's a balancing act--keeping the knees happy while also maintaining/increasing leg strength. They're BOTH going to be vital for having an active old age.

My DH's grandmother always sticks in my mind--she refuses to do any activity, doesn't even want to walk, because it pains her. But her leg muscles are atrophying from lack of use, which in turn make her knees hurt more.

Maintaining leg strength thru gentle resistance training can actually help protect the knees. I may not always be squatting heavy when I'm old, but I'll definitely keep doing some form of lifting.
  #998   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 02:20
muscle bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Sungirl
Aww...dang...burst my bubble...yeah I'll take the cookies LoL

Sorry! But the cookies taste better anyway.
  #999   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 06:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/145/125 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 64%

dane, you look freaking amazing....
ok I want a tush like yours, I try to work out at home I will try to do more lunges, squats etc...what else do you sujjest, I often see your posts giving Lisa advice, I wish I could get to a gym, but at this point I am so busy with work.....And I dont drive, so will try to do better at home, if you have any other advice I really appreciate.......you have worked so hard, gosh amazing is all I can say..............
  #1000   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 07:03

Plan: ONE DAY AT A TIME:)!
Stats: 142.5/138.6/120.0 Female 5 feet and 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

Dane,

WOW!! YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO US ALL!!! YOU HAVE DONE AN AWESOME JOB; YOU LOOK INCREDIBLE!!!
  #1001   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 11:17

Plan: LC/LF + weights & cardio
Stats: 158.0/138.8/135.0 Female 5'7 1/2 in
BF:
Progress: 83%

Hi there~

I just wanted to let you know that I took your advice about signing-up at "Beyond Low Carb". I ran into some problems when I tried to create an account yesterday, however, so I'll try again today. (I could actually read the posts without being a member, and I got a LOT of information from the thyroid thread, so thanks very much for pointing me in that direction!)
  #1002   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 11:46
Registered Member

Quote:
I would still encourage you to do some strength training. Take it slow, pay attention to any warning signs. It's a balancing act--keeping the knees happy while also maintaining/increasing leg strength. They're BOTH going to be vital for having an active old age.

Yeah, I know. I really wish I could join a gym right now so I would at least have access to extensions, curls, abductor and adductor machines. Something that works small muscle groups, avoids the knees at least in 2 exercises, but allows you to add enough weight to see some results. I used those in the past, had really good results, and didn't have any problems.

If Mark still has a job this fall (United is announcing pilot furloughs, not up to his seniority number yet, but not far from it), I'm going to join the gym up the street, b/c I'll have almost 3 hours, 3 mornings a week free while Ben is in preschool, and next year it will be 3 hours, 5 mornings a week.

Thanks again for all your help. I'm in awe of you! You look beautiful.

It's funny how childbearing "attacks" different body parts for different women. Mine attacked me in my butt and legs with a saggy but and some varicose veins, left my stomach looking pretty much like it always did. Which is kinda weird, cause I never show my stomach in public, but the legs and butt are very obvious in a swimsuit, no matter how you cut it.
  #1003   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 12:49

Plan: Semi LC
Stats: 188/175/169 Female 67.5 in.
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:

My DH's grandmother always sticks in my mind--she refuses to do any activity, doesn't even want to walk, because it pains her. But her leg muscles are atrophying from lack of use, which in turn make her knees hurt more.
Maintaining leg strength thru gentle resistance training can actually help protect the knees.
Yes, Maam! I can second all that. I have taken many "physiology of aging" courses throughout my fitness career. The old expression, "if ya dont move it, ya lose it" is literally true. I work 3 days a week with people above the age of fifty, doing exercise classes. Some of the ladies in their 80's are still lifting weights, doing yoga and cardio in my classes. Its awesome to watch the possibilities at that age. Doing resistance training not only keeps the legs from atrophy, but also wards off the onset on of osteoporosis.
http://www.osteoporosis.ca
Keep lifting ladies, it will save us in our old age! LoL
  #1004   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 16:59
Registered Member

Yeah, but I wonder how many of those 80 year old ladies played a LOT of sports from the age of 13 until about 34 years old?

Seriously, I know it's important. I'll start something back soon. I'm just enjoying how great the knees feel lately.
  #1005   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 23:11

Plan: Atkins OWL or abouts...
Stats: 195/188/165 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hey you! Just thought I'd check in...

I'm looking about 2 weeks post pardum now and I've just started getting into some sort of physical activity. Besides lugging the car seat around all day and climbing my 3 flights of stairs (to my house) multiple times a day.

The scale has been in my favor BUT my muscle mass (almost non-exsistent) seems to help that a bit. Went for a 25-30 minute walk with baby today in carrier and was totally pooped by the end. Pretty imbaressing to say the least. Guess we have to start somewhere huh? I started doing BW squats yesterday just to help things along so that might be why I'm sore but seriously....BW SQUATS...COME ON....

Guess you can say I'm a bit frustrated....

Hope things are well in your end of the world.

JW