Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 11:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 163/146/140 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

You are away for a month??? thats European holday time not American...lucky you. My son, who lives in London, cant believe that I live here in the States simply because of the lousy vacation allowance. I have to agree with him. Though in all fairness, when I go to NZ ( every 2yrs) I take close on a month
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 11:35

BF:

Lydia
where is your journal? I'm back from vacation and wanted to check in on you.. check my journal out for my weird news
Chris
  #183   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 11:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/230/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Default HI and Welcome Back!

Hi Chris! I can't believe I got your post just now, I was checking email one last time while waiting on the cab to take me to the airport!! I am will arrive at 8:00 am in the morning in Edinburgh! I will check my email as soon as the jet lag recedes a bit. I have lots to tell you and can't wait to read your weird news...I have some weird news, too! So glad you are back, Lyda Rose
  #184   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 16:21

BF:

Lyda Rose
Och aye the noo!! and all that scottish stuff! hope you had a good flight, though I seriously doubt there is such a thing. My weird news is that after a week of socking back red wine, kaluhas, desserts, fruit and even some bread (in fact all kinds of forbidden fruit) in Mexico, I lost a pound, and today (not official yet,) another lb; that is weird, isnt it? But Heh, who cares, I have just proved that my scales can rejister under 150lbs. I would go back to Mexico for another week, but dare not push my luck. I will pray to the ancient Scot's 'god of tartans' that the same happens to you whilst you are in bonnie Scotland...but you must remember to lay off the Scotch!! Actually, nearly all my sojourns to Scotland can be remembered by the classic whisky hang-overs- I was a bit younger and much sillier in those days.
Anyway hope your visit/work goes well, enjoy!!
  #185   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 08:32

BF:

Heh Lyda
Where are you?
you havn't been carted off by some burly Scotsman wanting to have his evil way with you have you?
  #186   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 08:24

Plan: Zone
Stats: 235/190/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hello fellow turtles.

I'm back after about a year-long absence. I had lost about 40lbs, but I'm pretty sure that I've gained back about 15 (I don't weigh).

This is my third day of induction and I was feeling great yesterday, but today I woke up feeling irritable and hopeless. Feeling like it's useless at my age (53) and that I might as well accept the fact that I'm gonna be fat the rest of my life.

But I'm going to act as if anyway and hope that I can keep going. I think it's having to do Induction again (first time was almost 3 years ago) that makes me feel deprived and hopeless.

Also, I thiink all the bad press that Atkins has gotten has affected me. In my heart I believe that eliminating any food group completely isn't a good idea. I have eliminated grains from my diet completely, except for this past year, I ate very whole grains, mostly homebaked. However, I ate a lot of sugar and I'm sure that's the cause of weight gain and slowed down weight loss.

I haven't been here in so long and I am trying to come back. I need a lot of encouragement. I went to another thread but didn't get any encouragement there. I feel so left out among so many young people with quick weight loss. I am a fairly youthful person in how I act and feel, but reality is that I am smack dab in the middle of menopause and my body is so different than a young person's. Hearing about their weight loss is painful.

Help! I just need some encouragement from a mature person.

Kathy
  #187   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 14:53

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Talking You're a spring chicken!

Oh My Katie, darling! I'm older than you but I feel great. I still have 15 lbs to go but I feel better every day. My knees are 100% better than they were and I am walking 5 miles or so a day with my new puppy. Sad to say my old dog Casey passed away. This new puppy was given to me and has really got me moving day and night.

I think that for every 5 lbs I lose I feel a year younger. At this point it's more a health issue than anything else. Carrying around an extra 50 lbs can't be good for the back, knees etc.

Also, I have a job that is in the public eye. Winter is no problem but being really fat in the summer is a major drag. What do you wear when it's boiling hot and everyone at work is in short sleeves etc and I'm trying to wear a suit jacket?

Nope, had enough of that and just think how nice it will be to actually be able to wear shorts again? So let's stay positive. I has taken me 2 years to loose 40 lbs and many times i would despair that it would ever come off. I remember losing 7 lbs in one weekend cross-country skiing when I was much younger. Now our metabolisms are much slower. So we just have to keep plugging away. Don't give up. Please write and tell me how you are doing!

All the best and happy new year
  #188   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 19:55

Stats: 202/117/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Katrine77, you can do this. Yes you can. Yes you can.

Just look at what a wonderful start you have already had. One day at a time. One step at a time. We are all rooting you on.

Yeah Kathy.

I am 59 and so very, very glad that I started this weight loss journey almost 2 years ago. Each day I plug away. In the last two years I kept with the program when I wasn't losing as well as well when I was losing.
  #189   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 08:14

BF:

You guys are so kind and inspiring! I am going to keep on keeping on and hope for the best.

The good news is that I'm back on the treadmill and committed myself to at least 4 days a week. I know this will help with weight loss as well as overall health and good feelings.

You know, the first time I did Induction, I did it for about a month and I can't tell you how phenomenal it was that first week. I felt like I'd been reborn. Within the first 2 days I was clear headed, energetic, slept better, not to mention a lot of wieght loss....it was all very positive. I think that I was hoping for the same thing to occur this time around but it's not the same. I do feel better than I did during the holidays, but those feelings that came with that first round of Induction 2 years ago is what I was hoping for again. that experience was so encouraging to me because I finally knew what it was like to feel good after so many years of a high carb daze. Each day I woke up knowing that I'd never eat that way again.

The good news is that I never did go back to that way of eating again. I have maintained a low carb lifestyle for almost 3 years now, but just not low enough for weight loss.

Has anyone hear every felt like they had to do Induction again? How did it go and was it as good as the first time? Has anyone here struggled with bouts of eating things they probably shouldn't? Ups and downs with wieght?

thanks so much for your encouragement. You are all so kind and inspirational!

Kathy
  #190   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 08:30

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

I have gone back to Induction several times, due to falling off the wagon,,,and each time its harder! You wont have the initial big loss, andit takes longer for your weight to start dropping, so my advice is to tell you to stay on plan. Dr Atkins said Induction is good for jumpstarting a stall anytime, and thats true. But dont expect all the things you expereinced the first time to be as prevalent. It will happen, but just not as easily.
  #191   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 07:44

BF:

Hello everyone,

I'm just checking in. Feeling really good, but I must say I'm NOT sticking to induction as best I did the first time. Had a bowl of black bean soup yesterday and some pecans. I've really grown to accept the 'good carbs' in life and have a hard time eliminating them, even for just a few weeks. However, for the most part, I feel like I'm doing pretty good!

You are so right, musicmama, none of the same exact experiences, but I still feel better. My head is clear, I have more energy, getting more things done and pretty sure I'm losing weight. I decided to go ahead and get a scale and weigh in once a week with a group on another thread in this forum. That is really encouraging!

Thanks again for all your support everyone!

k
  #192   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 12:53
Registered Member

Stats: 350/304.5/250
BF:50%
Progress: 20%
Default doing it again

I have been back on induction for 3 days. I read one time that if we have been off Atkin's for a few days that a 4 day induction is a good jump start. I gained over the holidays. I do not want to be 395 again and that is where I was headed. I was food crazy once I got into sugar.
So far this wk I have read info on pre diabetic and see myself in a few months if I do not lower my carbs and skip the sugar. I have some of the symptoms of diabetic or pre diabetic. I have started feeling better already.
I have gone to the pool 2 x this wk and plan to make it a 3rd. I keep moving in the water for at least 1 hr. I swim, I water walk ,I use the floaties sometime I join an arobic class in the pool. I can only walk a few feet out of the water.
I am looking at 10 lbs right now. After that I will look at 10 more.
By the way I am 60 and I know it comes off slower but it does come off.
  #193   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 14:48

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!

Bad day yesterday!! No supplements, half my water,,no exercise!!
Today is better though,,,88 ounces of water so far,,all my supplements,,,,cant get any exercise cause Im taking care of my daughter who just had surgery yesterday,,,,oh well, 2 out of three,,,,,,

heres stats;
Water-4 out of 7
Supplements- 4 out of 7
No exercise!! sigh...

Tomorrow is another day.....
  #194   ^
Old Wed, Mar-30-05, 20:44

Plan: my own ~ fasting.
Stats: 178/134/110 Female 4ft.11
BF:

hello all.
I did Atkins for 1 1/2 years. But was so slow. and had a stall for over 8 months.
I have been going to curves 5 days aweek
just started back at walking today. 2 miles and tonight I will do 100 abs and exersice ball.
Iam now aslo doing the curves diet. I like it so much beter.
If you like to look into curves u can get book at walmart.
Reaaly all diet work along with exerice and u have to eat good carbs ad watch [portions and calaries.
Iam 55. and I just went right into Menapluse and have now for a who;e year. doing real good so far. Go to Doc. in arpil and i want a bone test done to see how iam with that.
no drugs for me if i can.
Now to lose this weight .
Good luck to u all.
  #195   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 18:28

Plan: ketogenic neandrathin
Stats: 254/212/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Where did all you "over 50's" go????

Hi! This is my first time posting on this message board. I've wanted to meet some other "over 50" ladies who are exp the low carb way of life.
Like many who posted here I got on the Atkins diet back in the 70s when it first came out. I'm now 53. The weight fell off so quickly then! It seemed like 50 pounds fell off in a blink of an eye...just several months. Between then and now...well...life "happened"...children, hysterectomy, being older and having sabotaged myself by fasting, juice fasting, vegetarianism (I gained a huge amount of weight eating "healthy") and crept up so much.

I've been lcing since about 2003 now. I've lost about 35 pounds, depending on when I weigh myself! It is VERY slow. I found that even adding exercise (I worked at Curves for about 3 months and exercised for about 12 hrs a week) didn't help the weight loss, although my measurements were better and I felt stronger and more energetic.

I have a lot more to lose....between 70 and 95 pounds. So all you "older sisters" get on board here and lets encourage each other! Terry

Last edited by Flower51 : Fri, Apr-29-05 at 18:33.