Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 13:58

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%
Default where can i find...?

a website or a list of natural health products from international sources that are restricted from importation into Canada?

I'm looking mainly for something definitive that would let me know what is on the Governments "HitList".

thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 22:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

food products? supplements?

#3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-07, 16:32

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

mainly supplements...for instance i was looking for a high potency D3 supplement but i don't want to chance having it confiscated at the border because it could be considered "prescription" levels....stuff like that.

Also, some of AOR Canada products are sold in the UK and US but not in Canada so i was wondering about personal importation from either place...

any governments links i could go to? I can't make any sense of Canada Health website....way too confusing to wade through.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-07, 17:55
Registered Member

Sorry, pet, but a one-stop-shop and the Government of Canada, well, they're mutually exclusive. Regulations are labyrinthine and complex.

That being said, you can probably find info on particular stuff, especially indirectly.

This from: http://www.iherb.com/store/Info/Shi....aspx#important
"Import restrictions:
Important Note Regarding Hoodia: Please note that ordering this product may cause Canadian customs to seize your package and not allow it to be imported, especially if your are using DHL or UPS for shipment.

As of October 2006, our valued customers in Canada have had very few issues or difficulties with ordering products from iHerb. Each country has different laws and regulations about buying products from other countries. As a Canadian customer, you are responsible for making sure that importing a particular nutritional supplement from the United States is allowed in Canada.

The following items are not allowed to be imported unless through your Doctor:
Carnitine, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, L-Tryptophan (5-HTP), DHEA, Pregnenolone, Androstenedione, Yohimbe, Human Growth Hormone and any products containing Vitamin K.

Your Doctor needs to call "Special Access Program", at 1-613-941-2108, and obtain permission to import them. He/She needs to place the order.

Almost all other supplements carried by iHerb, including Melatonin and 5-HTP, are allowed to be imported. Also your order must be for 90 days of usage, and NOT longer. The way they determine this is by reading what the label says. So if it says 1 tablet/capsules a day, then you are entitled to import only 90 servings of this supplement. Please refer to the following websites for more information on Canadian Customs and Natural Supplement Regulation."

and this very useful link from the same source, back to the Health Canada site, the page about Natural Health Products (saving you the searching):

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodnatur/index_e.html

Hope that helps SOME...how's it gooing out there, besides the excess snow? Did you know that even Victoria (famous for mild weather) is still freezing, especially at night, and even got some snow yesterday? -- unheard of here at the end of February... Wild.

#5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-07, 18:16

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

Island Girl

if you need somewhere to ship it in the U.S. I live in Whatcom and go to Blaine every Tuesday.. you could use my address to ship to
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-07, 18:24
Registered Member

VERY kind of you, but it's Deb34 that's needing some shipping info...and she's in Ontario

I've worked out my WA state shipping process ages ago (I've been doing this stuff since 1998 and shopping LC since 2000 or thereabouts!).

That being said, I'm always up for a coffee if we're in Blaine at the same time (and Blackberry House is still open)...

#7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-07, 22:17

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

any tuesday between 11 and 4...someone on the island ships all her lo-carb stuff to my moms house in birch bay...
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-07, 09:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/157/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hi Deb, I can't address your post fully, but my local health food store (just north of Toronto) stocks Jamieson and Now brand vitamin D in 1,000 IU caps/tablets.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 12:32

Plan: protein power mostly
Stats: 250/237/190 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default low carb sources in Hamilton, ON?

Does anyone know of a source of low carb products in Hamilton, ON? There used to be a low carb store on Upper Ottawa St., but that was before I was a low carber

Any pointers would be great.... Meg
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-29-07, 03:28

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

I started reading this thread thinking, what?, what?, I have that, and that, and that. Then I remembered. Some are banned (and for good reason actually... Canada is cautious with the growth hormones because if one has a tumour in their body they are not aware of and takes them, guess what grows?).

Anyway, I have no problem getting this stuff through my doctor. He's holistic and sells some in his office, some by perscription, some by knowing who is carrying it (and yes, sometimes it's behind the counter). If you are looking for a way to get a good legal and local supply you might want to ask at compounding pharmacies (which often make the DHEA and other holistic supplements) for a recommendation to a holistic doctor. They know by the prescriptions.

BTW, most are not covered by any medical plans as they are not approved medications under the drug act or whatever governs things like Blue Cross.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-31-07, 08:41

Stats: 175/157/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan999
Does anyone know of a source of low carb products in Hamilton, ON? There used to be a low carb store on Upper Ottawa St., but that was before I was a low carber

Any pointers would be great.... Meg

I don't know about in Hamilton, but the Low Carb Grocery in Toronto delivers, and you can order online... www.thelowcarbgrocery.com.