Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-24, 22:07

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Beyond Meat launches new, healthier version of burger in bid to bring back customers

Quote:
Beyond Meat launches new, healthier version of burger in bid to bring back customers

Beyond Meat is launching a new version of its plant-based burger in grocery stores this spring, betting that an even healthier version of its burgers will lure back consumers.

The unveiling Wednesday comes at a pivotal time for Beyond as a company. The plant-based meat category, once buzzy, has lost consumers’ interest. Retail sales of meat alternatives have fallen 33.6% compared with a year ago as of Jan. 28, according to Circana data.

Beyond’s retail and restaurant sales have cratered as a result. In the third quarter, its sales had dropped 29% over the past two years. The company’s market value has also dropped, falling to $463 million, down from a high of $14.14 billion four and a half years ago. The stock has fallen 60% over the past year.

The embattled company has always maintained that its meat substitutes are healthier than the real deal. But Beyond touts that the newest iteration of its beef has less sodium and saturated fat than ever before. The reformulation is the biggest upgrade to its recipe since the burger originally launched in 2016, according to Beyond’s CEO Ethan Brown.

“I think the Beyond IV represents a leap forward, versus an incremental step,” Brown told CNBC.

The new burger uses avocado oil, cutting its saturated fat by 60% to two grams. Beyond also slashed the sodium in the plant-based meat by 20%. The ingredient list is shorter but features other new additions, such as red lentil and faba bean protein.

“For the last several years, there have been a combination of campaigns and other efforts to try to poison the well, regarding the health benefits of plant-based meat,” Brown said. “In the spirit of iron sharpening iron, we’ve tried to create products that are now fully unassailable from a health perspective.”

Critics have attacked plant-based meat from Beyond and its rivals as processed and full of chemicals. Back in November, Brown said on the company’s conference call that backers of the campaign to malign plant-based meat as unhealthy were likely members of the meat and pharmaceutical industries.

Beyond said that it worked with the Stanford University School of Medicine and registered dietitians, among other experts, to inform the development of the new product.

Beyond is expected to report its fourth-quarter earnings after the bell on Feb. 27.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/21/bey...-of-burger.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-24, 23:44

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

In a past life, I loved a veggie burger. But is was freshly made, homemade style. No chemicals. It was the 70's! Restaurant was only veg and fruit, no meat. Food was very good and affordable.

Today, i wint touch commercial veggie burgers and my boys point out with disgust the fake meat angle.

UMASS had a good recipe. My oldest loves ves it.

Its all about the ingredients!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-24, 07:35

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'll never understand people who insist that eating plants is the best way to health, and yet want those plants to taste and look like meat. Or maybe the marketing is to us meat-eaters so that we'll be "tricked" into eating "healthier" fare.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-24, 10:02

BF:

I remember eating Boca Burgers (or something very similar, perhaps Morningstar Farms?) a few times back in the 70s or very early 80's. They didn't taste absolutely horrible to me at the time, but definitely did not taste like meat either. The texture was similar to a cheap fried fast food burger. I think they had some kind of smoke flavoring in them to try to give the impression of being charcoal grilled. They may have had some other flavoring in them too (something vaguely beefy-ish tasting like tamari or soy sauce), since soybean meal doesn't have much flavor on it's own - it picks up the flavor of what you cook it with.

I recall coming across some recipes for soy-burgers back during that era too, although I never made any - I think the main problem was that I had trouble acquiring all the ingredients at the same time in the small towns where we lived.

I'm pretty sure that back in those days, the idea was to provide an alternative to a beef burger for vegetarians to use - not that they were adverse to meat eaters trying them too. But they knew their niche market and there was no huge push to come up with something made purely from plant products that could convince meat eaters to give up meat.

At any rate, as all of us on here have noticed, even vegetarians have become the enemy of the vegan agenda - their goal is to convince everyone to give up all animal products and embrace highly processed and chemical laden products refined from a bunch of plant products, doctoring them up so that that they're trying to make them look, taste, and act like meat. (incidentally also the very ultimate in UPF products)

I haven't tried any of the fake meats, but DH did get one of the burgers when they were first serving them in fast food restaurants, and he said it wasn't bad. He said he could tell that it was not really meat, and there was somewhat of an odd texture about it, but that it wasn't really awful.

If it "wasn't bad", I see it mainly as a step on the way to convincing meat eaters that if they really need to give up meat at some point in the future, they will be able to *sigh* tolerate fake meat as an alternative, because *sigh* at least it would have some similar characteristics and flavor that they miss with real meat.

And that seems to be what the fake meat industry is trying to do - create products that once they figure out a way to have real meat banned, their products will be in demand, providing ersatz products to fulfill the craving for real meat.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-24, 18:25

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

When I ate vegetarian & vegan meals in the late 1970s & early 1990s, we used real foods and made things from scratch following Moosewood Cookbook, Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cookery, and inventing our own recipes with Italian or Mexican herbs & spices. I.e. going for new and interesting flavours & textures, not trying to simulate meat. But grains & legumes are very inflammatory for me, and made me sleepy, so I always returned to the Atkins' diet. I prefer to eat 1-ingredient real meat, instead of ultra-processed >10-ingredient fake meat!

Last edited by deirdra : Sun, Feb-25-24 at 18:33.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-24, 19:16

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I'm not sure what the user base is for fake meats. Do vegans and vegetarians really want to eat something that tastes like foods that they abhor? Are many meat eaters wanting to eat fake meat when the real stuff is cheaper and healthier?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-24, 22:24

BF:

I don't think there's many vegans eating it. I can't imagine why they'd want to, except possibly on the very rare occasions when they're at something like a cookout, the host has bought vegan burgers specifically to cook for them, and there's not really anything else there that they can eat... Although it's kind of hard to imagine there's not going to be anything there that they could eat, because you know there's going to be buns, condiments, burger toppings - nothing wrong with having lettuce, pickles, mustard and ketchup on a bun and calling it a day.

I think it's mostly aimed at those who feel guilty about eating meat - whether guilt about the fact that an animal had to die to provide that meat, or because they don't really believe meat is healthy. And there are plenty of people who eat meat because they like it, they feel good on it, and it tastes good, but constantly feel horribly guilty about eating meat because they believe the constant narrative about how bad it is for you with all that fat & cholesterol, and that it truly is terrible for the environment.

But they only feel guilty about it -they don't want to become vegan, but they'd be willing to give it a try if there was something that tasted just as good as meat. That's where the vegan burgers come in, helping satisfy the meat cravings of someone who doesn't really want to be vegan, but feels so guilty about eating meat that they'll give it up anyway. They're the ones who will probably go for lab grown meat too.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-24, 20:22

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Do vegans and vegetarians really want to eat something that tastes like foods that they abhor?
Some, apparently, are even designed to "bleed" fake bloody juices when you bite into them. What vegan would want that? It is not what this carnivore is looking for in a meat.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-24, 21:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Some, apparently, are even designed to "bleed" fake bloody juices when you bite into them. What vegan would want that? It is not what this carnivore is looking for in a meat.

To me that's kind of gross even for a meat eater, especially since we've been trained to make sure ground meat is fully cooked to 165F to assure there's no surviving e coli in all the surfaces in the mixed together bits of ground meat. If I got a burger that bled red juices, I'd be very put off by that - if it really has the same texture and taste as ground beef, how could I be sure they didn't accidentally give me real ground beef that didn't get cooked thoroughly?

Steaks and roasts are a different matter - those can have bloody looking juices inside because they only have surface meat on the outside of the piece of meat.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-24, 21:54

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
When I ate vegetarian & vegan meals in the late 1970s & early 1990s, we used real foods and made things from scratch following Moosewood Cookbook, Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cookery, and inventing our own recipes with Italian or Mexican herbs & spices. I.e. going for new and interesting flavours & textures, not trying to simulate meat. But grains & legumes are very inflammatory for me, and made me sleepy, so I always returned to the Atkins' diet. I prefer to eat 1-ingredient real meat, instead of ultra-processed >10-ingredient fake meat!

These 70's burgers are the ones I loved. A local vegan restaurant had delicious vegan burgers.

Now I must find my Moosewood cookbook!! A good way to find a spice mix to liven up a real meat burger.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Mon, Feb-26-24 at 22:24.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-24, 04:38

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I still miss black beans, but the high lectin content means they aren't worth it. However, the black bean homemade burger at a local restaurant was worth getting for the taste.

They have artificialized all kinds of things but now they are gunning for meat, that's all. It's what corporations do, now. Come up with something they can prove on a spreadsheet -- what if we grow the vegan market? because that's where the profit is! -- but I think it wasn't a coincidence they failed last time.

They want people to think meat is dangerous so they create Frankenmeat foods that they say is not. Both concepts are ridiculous.

We crave meat because our survival instincts demand it. It can't be bad for us!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-24, 09:39

BF:

This interview is Beyond Ridiculous, Beyond Belief... Beyond Reality:

Quote:
How Beyond Meat developed an 'unassailable health portfolio': CEO

Beyond Meat (BYND) recently launched an updated and expanded selection of its "Crumbles" product line, which has been certified by the American Heart Association's Heart-Check program and the American Diabetes Association's Better Choices for Life program. The new selections are part of the company's efforts to demonstrate its plant-based products' "unassailable" health benefits.

CEO of Beyond Meat Ethan Brown sits down with Yahoo Finance Executive Editor Brian Sozzi to discuss the company's latest health-oriented products and overall market strategy.

The company is pushing against the bad rap plant-based foods developed as "highly processed" products: "What happened is we began to punch a little bit above our weight as we came out of the gate and so there was concern from the incumbent industry around, hey, how do we position this product as something that is unhealthy. And in fact if you look at the way the nutrition community and the medical community has rallied around what we are doing, that's in fact the exact opposite."

Video Transcript

[AUDIO LOGO]

- Beyond Meat out with its latest product. Let's get right to Beyond Meat Founder and CEO Ethan Brown. Ethan, it's been a while. Welcome back to the Yahoo Finance Airwaves. So your new product is the Beyond Meat Crumbles. So an investor comes across this video or is watching elsewhere, why should they view it as important to the Beyond Meat investment thesis?

ETHAN BROWN: So thank you for having us, appreciate it and it's always a pleasure to be with you. I think the most important thing to take away from this latest renovation is we continue to migrate toward a really unassailable health portfolio. And so with the particular Crumble product, again, you see the American Heart Association, you see the American Diabetes Association coming into the brand, supporting the products with emblems and with certifications.

And for us, that's a very important message to the consumer. If you have any concerns around cardiovascular disease, around high cholesterol, around diabetes, these products can provide a really simple and delicious way to migrate to more of a plant-based diet. And if you're younger and simply want to fuel your body with clean plant-based protein, these, again, are a delicious and convenient way to do that.

So we continue to push the brand into health and wellness space. And for investors, that's important because those markets are enormous. Whether it's young people who are looking to just eat healthier and cleaner diodes or whether it's older people who are looking to reduce the risk factors for cardiovascular disease and other diseases that are so prevalent in our society, it opens up a much larger market for Beyond Meat.

And to put a pin on that, if you think about the number of Americans who have any cardiovascular disease of any kind, it's about half the adult population. So it's a very significant market size that we can go after.

- Do you think plant-based food is still getting a bad rub out there in consumer land?

ETHAN BROWN: Well, I think what happened is we began to punch a little bit of our weight as we came out of the gate. And so there was concern from the incumbent industry around, hey, how do we position this product as something that is unhealthy? And in fact, if you look at the way the nutrition community and the medical community has rallied around what we're doing, that's, in fact, the exact opposite.

And so whether it's Beyond Steak, which is on the front cover of "Time Magazine" in '22 for terrific innovation or you look at our latest renovations of the Beyond IV, Burger and Beef, those are so clean and offer so many health benefits to the consumer, whether it's the avocado oil that we've now put into the Beyond IV platform, or the yellow pea protein with brown rice protein, with fava bean protein. All of these-- red lentil proteins in it. So it's a very clean and healthy product and we're making it unassailable.

Now we have-- on the environment side, we have such a clear story and no one has ever doubted that. Now the time is to really address some of these health issues and position Beyond Meat as a health and wellness company that can help you reach your goals from a nutrition perspective.

- And these products, it's not lost on me, Ethan, you know I've been following your story and the company story for a while, they're coming at a time where the business is simply more streamlined. You've had to make a lot of tough decisions as a leader. How do these new products matched up to a leaner cost base just improve your business overall over the next 18 months?

ETHAN BROWN: So the other measures we're taking on that front have been adjustments in price, right? So these products have premium ingredients in them. They allow us to raise prices, which we haven't done in a very long time. And that should help as we chart our path toward profitability.

And so we're seeing now if you look at the reaction in the market, if you see the response from the nutrition community, from the health community, from consumers around these products, you really begin to see, OK, there's something here. We're going after that consumer that is looking to use diet to help transform their lives and live healthier and longer lives.

- When will these newer products start to hit the market?

ETHAN BROWN: So they're coming out now. We love-- we love seeing the Beyond IV posted everywhere and people are starting to find it in their stores. And they're excited about it. It's a gold pack. And then the Crumble is also rolling out now. And of course, Steak is already out in the market.

So any one of those products, bring home if you have a family member that wants to eat cleaner, they're great for that type of transition. If you have a family member that wants to reduce risk associated with heart disease, diabetes, or cancer, they're terrific for that purpose. Most importantly, they're delicious.

- The messaging is just a lot different, Ethan, to me. What's the uptake from some of your fast food partners? I mean, I think the messaging alone is something that might get them excited to even get more of these products into their locations.

ETHAN BROWN: Yeah. I think the way to think about our positioning with our fast-food partners-- quickly, if you look at McDonald's in Europe or you look at Starbucks in Europe where we really have some exciting programs, the relative health benefits are still very strong, right? Because you're taking out the animal protein that has a lot of the cholesterol and saturated fat issues and replacing it with clean plant-based protein. And so I think it is exciting for them. And I think you'll see more in the US begin to come on as time goes on.

- Food prices have started to come down here in the US. Long overdue. I mean, we're beyond the pandemic and that's a good thing. Do you think that's going to create a new moment for the plant-based movement industry? And I-- and I bring that up because the contention has always been, oh, these products are too much. I'm just going to get some frozen ground beef. I'm going to stick it in my pasta. But if prices for all this stuff is coming down, I mean, it has to benefit you and a lot of your competitors, no?

ETHAN BROWN: Yes. What's happening is as the market and the sector, the plant-based meat sector starts to mature and reach scale, right? You can-- you'll see the supply chain become more efficient. You'll see price start to moderate based on lower cost of goods. But for right now, we have such a commitment to reaching profitability and again, that's over a longer arc, not suggesting it's going to happen right away, that we're very focused on making sure that we're charging what we believe is the right price for these products.

- How is Beyond Meat different, Ethan, today compared to two years ago?

ETHAN BROWN: Sure, I think when we came out of the gate, and this is-- we started the company 15 years ago, the first goal we had was to create products that are indistinguishable from animal protein. And in a lot of dishes, I think many people would say that we've achieved that, right?

And so now the next phase of the business is really around continuing to highlight and renovate toward even healthier ingredients, healthier inputs so the consumer knows that when they're buying Beyond Meat, they're doing something that's beneficial for their body. They're helping put a cleaner source of protein into their body. And they also have the added benefit of doing something great for the environment. That's something we cannot lose sight of.

If you look at the ability to solve the climate change issue by repurposing lands, by using them more efficiently, by taking protein directly from plants versus feeding plants to an animal and then-- and then slaughtering and feeding humans with animals, if you're able to take protein direct from plants, you can free up a lot of land that we can put into service to sequestering carbon and we can actually meet the entire UN requirements by taking those two measures of reducing methane and then allowing lands that we currently have devoted to livestock to reforest and to rewild, taking carbon out of the air and cooling the climate.

So it's a-- when you go to the store and you see Beyond Meat in now it's beautiful gold package with Beyond IV, really, you're buying into an idea. You're buying into an idea that you can help your own body become cleaner and healthier. But you can also help the Earth. And that's the idea that I want people to understand when they look at our packets. It is a food product. It's delicious. But it's also an opportunity to do something for your body that's healing and to do something for the Earth that is healing. And that, to me, I think inspires many consumers to go beyond.

- Well, I'll just leave it on this one, Ethan. To me, this product-- I know it's just a product. It goes out there into the retail end. But this is another sign that your company continues to transform, has learned a lot, and is moving in the right direction. We appreciate you-- appreciate your time as always. Ethan Brown, Founder and CEO of Beyond Meat. Really, thanks so much. We appreciate it.

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/bey...-211155601.html