Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 12:01

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 166/150/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Danger of fat fast???

I hear a lot of people discourage the fat fast as a quick weightloss means or to get over a plateau, but what exactly would be the danger?
what danger does it pose to your health?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 12:24

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: // Male 65 centimeters
BF:25/17/10
Progress: 91%

I cannot comment on fat fast. But what works for me is this:

Dinner: 1. eat early.. 7PM
2. eat low/no-carb( 10G or less)
3. Low protien/no cheese stuff..
4. 2 Tbsp of olive oil ( 250 cal there)
Make your dinner 90% fat..
Next day morning, for sure I'm lighter..

neeam

Last edited by neeam : Tue, Aug-19-03 at 12:26.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 12:31
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

From what I understand, it's the fact that at only 1000 calories, it's a starvation diet. It's unbalanced. You get no fiber or phytonutrients from vegetables. It's meant as a last resort. A day or two would probably be safe, but unless your metabolism is so messed up that you can't lose weight any other way, it's healthier to do things the normal way.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 10:32
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default FatFast...just looked at it

and had to wonder what would be the effect of changing it a bit and yet keeping it to 1,000 calories? For instance, increasing the bacon, adding a little lettuce, and having 6 oz. of steak for a meal?
You'd be keeping up the fat content, keeping down the calories, but perhaps making it more platable....to me at least.
I could go a whole day with nothing but bacon....easily.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 20:21
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

A day of bacon would be tasty, but imagine the water a person would retain with all that salt...

I've "jump started" myself by spending a couple of days on higher fat/ lower carbs, but wouldn't ever do the fat fast again... I tried a modyfied version of about 1200 calories, mostly fat and felt like CRAP, lost 5 lbs., then promptly gained it back going back to induction levels. Some people swear by it, even trying to subsist solely on oil... that's too "eating disorder" for MY taste. I need to be able to make this a lifestyle, not a crash diet.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 07:55
Registered Member

Plan: ???
Stats: 145/145/127 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 0%

I don't know what fat fast is but it sounds alot like what I very first started doing. Sausage for breakfast, 3 whole eggs for lunch, chicken breast for lunch#2 and turky burger with lots of cheese and some spinich. It was virtually no carbs, lots of fat and protein. It didn't work and made me severely constipated.....

Now my diet has raw brocoli with my chicken, hamburger patty for breakfast, 3 egg whites 1 whole egg for lucnh and little cheese with turkey burger and spinich or brussel sprouts for dinner. And liberal amounts of flax seed oil with 2 of those meals. Its still not working but Im not constipated anymore. I think I also need more fat and veggies.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 03:04
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default after 4 days of modified Fatfast

I lost 5 pounds.
Modified in that I went to 1,200 calories twice and modified in that bacon was a large part of the calories.
I also discovered a great light lunch or snack which involves a leaf or two of Boston Lettuce smeared with cream chese topped with a slice of Nova smoked salmon. Ummmmm, yummy and three or 4 make a good light lunch.