Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 03:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 72/68/60
BF:
Progress: 33%
Angry Disappointment

I am really despondant, after 7 weeks I have only lost 3Kg yet my husband who is not nearly as strict as me has lost 9.5Kg. I am pretty well still following induction and yet my progress is painfully slow. Also I have developed a rash on both hands which is itchy and unbecoming, What is going on here? I am thinking of giving this up!! HELP!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 13:22

Stats: 146/135/132
BF:
Progress: 79%

I know how you feeel!
My husband has lost about 9 kgs and I have lost about 4! Apparently men lose it quicker than we do - it doesn't seem fair! Even though you might not weigh a lot less, are you thinner? Are your clothes looser?
Hang in there, I am!!
Cant help with the rash - sorry
Take care, Lucy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 15:45

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 178/145/147
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hi CronullaSu, Believe me I know exactly how you feel, I lost 3kg on Induciton and nothing since!!!!!!!!! now 3 weeks out of induction I get on the scales this morning to find I have put on 1kg I am thinking that could be due to the TOM but anyway it is so frustrating and after this morning I to am seriously thinking of giving up.
Men do lose weight quicker then us as their bodies have more muscle then we do (I use to know all the technical jargon) my husband only has to give up his beer and the weight falls off him!!!!!! It sure doesn't seem fair!!!!!!! But I admit you have kind of brightened up my day just knowing there is someone else out there as frustrated with the diet as I am kind of helps.
I will keep looking in here from time to time to see if anyone has some advice for us. I was thinking of going on a very strick Induction again next week maybe that will help???
Anyway sorry I am not very encouraging, Take care Marg.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 18:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 164/151/130
BF:
Progress: 38%

I too am frustrated. I lost 2kg on induction and nothing since although I feel that this may be because this is the 1000th time (OK maybe only the 4th) time I have commited myself to this way of life. My first time was so easy (8kg in 3 weeks) and the 2nd time was also successful (5 kg) however I progress through the usual cycle of loosing and gaining (more each time as per usual). I have heard that your first time trying this WOL is supposed to be your 'golden chance' and each time after that is harder (but not impossible just slower) as your body adjusts quickly and knows what to expect. There is a thread on here somewhere called 'so you think your a turtle' try reading that I found it to be very helpful. I thought that if I ate low fat and low carb I would be more successful but apparently fat (good fat) is a vital component of this WOL. Apart from that try posting your problem in a less restricked area of the forum so others with more experience can read it.

Hope this helps.

Nuttymum
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 03:35

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 143/131/121
BF:
Progress: 55%
Thumbs up

Hi, CronullaSu

1lb a week is a very good result. You are doing very well.

Don't get upset over a slow loss. It's going down and that's the main thing! Don't forget that on this diet you do grow muscle which is much heavier than fat. You might find that being 69kg you are much smaller than when you were same weight before.

Try to add more exercise and you'll see even more results.

As about your rash, it could be some sort of food allergy. If you make a search for the word 'rash' you'll find a lot of information on different threads.

PS: your weight loss is better than mine.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 22:54
Registered Member

Stats: 224/194/121 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 29%
Talking Cheer up!!

I have been on this new WOL life for 4 weeks and I have lost 7kg to be honest at first I was expecting a miracle as I knew of a couple of people who lost heaps of weight real quick but you have to think that we are all unique and we are all do things differently and things occur to us differently so please don't give up hope. Maybe you are a slow starter but once your body begins to adjust itself to this new WOL you will lose kilos quicker. Smile and keep your chin up you will soon see that it was all worthwhile..... Karina
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 16:16

Stats: 72/68/60
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Disappointment update

Thank you everyone for the replies and encouragement, this morning we had a weigh in and measurement check. Guess what I have still only lost 3Kg and my husband has now lost 10Kg!!!!
Waist I lost 1.5inches, he lost 10inches, Hips I lost 1.5inches, he lost 5 inches,Thighs I lost 0.5inches, he lost 2inches, upper arm I lost 2inches, he lost 2inches ( Bingo something equal !!!) Chest I lost 1 inch ( damn!! ) he lost 2.5 inches. Neck he has lost 0.75inches. So you can see that he has had a fantastic result. Mine is mediocre. However I will not give up yet. I am going to try to get back to aqua aerobics classes at least 3 times per week. I have difficulty with spare time as i work 12 hour days and spend most nights out at Toastmasters in one form or another, but I am going to make time as I work very close to the Olympic park facilities. I have the timetable for Aqua classes at the Aquatic Centre, so I will try to go on my way home to the 6.20class or the 7.15pm class which means I will get home even later!!!. Unfortunately i cannot do anything this week as I have to go to Melbourne for 5 days to a conference. ( Try eating Atkins at a conference!!!)
I am still very concerned about the rash on my hands, it is unsightly and Cortisone cream is not helping too much. I wonder if it is hormone related and if I should go off the HRT and see if that helps.
I will keep reading everything that I can on Rashes through this forum and maybe more on the global network as well.
Once againg thank you all who responded. My clothes do fit better and some are being worn again for the first time in 12 months, but I expected to progress more quickly, especially as my husband has done so well.
I will keep posting here when I am able and advise if the Qaua classes help.
Cheers,
Cronulla Sue
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 19:47
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 93.6/94.32/68
BF:
Progress: -3%
Default sloooooooow loss

you are not alone................

I've just read your last reply about HRT and I wonder if that drug has something to do with your slow loss..............it may be worthwhile chasing that up. Dr Atkins, in his book did say that some medications blocked LCing.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 19:56

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

But look you are a third of your way to goal already!!!

congatualtions. http://64.119.161.199/forum/attachm...s=&postid=37742
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 20:09

Plan: Somersize/Atkins
Stats: 176/168/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hey,

I'm losing horribly slowly, too, but wanted to encourage you to hang in there. Try reading the section in Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution about plateaus. I think the information is also on his website. You might find something in there that could help you. Personally, I've about decided that I am allergic to milk and/or have a candida condition. After about 6 weeks at 170 pounds, I finally decided to cut out dairy and nuts. So far, it seems that may be the culprit. Since doing that, I've seen a 3 pound drop that is pretty consistent for the past 10 days.

I understand being bugged about how easy it is for the hubby to lose. Mine has dropped about 16 pounds in half the time it has taken me to drop 9. AND he cheats and drinks coffee!
Grr! However, on the good side, he is feeling better and that makes him less cranky. (He is also A LOT less flatulent! Ha! Talk about benefits for this WOL!)