Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-23, 23:31

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Meat is crucial for human health, scientists warn

Quote:
Meat is crucial for human health, scientists warn

Close to a thousand experts unite behind statement that rejects ‘zealotry’ of plant-based diets and promotes livestock farming

Meat is crucial for human health, scientists have warned, as they called for an end to the “zealotry” pushing vegetarian and vegan diets.

Dozens of experts were asked to look into the science behind claims that meat eating causes disease and is harmful for the planet in a special issue of Animal Frontiers.

They warned that it is difficult to replace the nutritional content of meat, arguing that poorer communities with low meat intake often suffer from stunting, wasting and anaemia driven by a lack of vital nutrients and protein.

In recent years, there has been a widespread societal push towards plant-based diets, with schemes such as Veganuary and meat-free Mondays encouraging the public away from meat.

The major Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries and Risk Factor Study, published in The Lancet in 2020, also suggested that a diet high in red meat was responsible for 896,000 deaths worldwide, and was the fifth leading dietary risk factor.

But researchers argue that unprocessed meat delivers most of the vitamin B12 intake in human diets, plays a major role in supplying retinol, omega-3 fatty acids and minerals such as iron and zinc, as well as important compounds for metabolism, such as taurine and creatine.

‘Fatally scientifically flawed’

In one paper published in the issue, experts found no good evidence to support red meat being dangerous below intakes of 75g per day, and argued that the link between red meat and disease vanished when part of a healthy diet, suggesting it was the rest of the diet that was fuelling health problems.

Dr Alice Stanton, of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, one of the authors of the review, said: “The peer-reviewed evidence published reaffirms that [the 2019 Global Burden of Disease Risk Factors Report] which claimed that consumption of even tiny amounts of red meat harms health is fatally scientifically flawed.

“In fact, removing fresh meat and dairy from diets would harm human health. Women, children, the elderly and low income would be particularly negatively impacted.”

The NHS also advises that red meat – such as beef, lamb and pork – is a good source of protein, vitamins and minerals and can form part of a balanced diet, although it warns that eating more than 90g per day can raise the risk of bowel cancer.

The new edition includes a declaration signed by nearly 1,000 scientists across the globe arguing that livestock farming was too important to society to “become the victim of zealotry”.

The Dublin Declaration includes signatories from the universities of Cambridge, Edinburgh, Bristol, Belfast, Newcastle, Nottingham, Surrey as well as several scientists from Britain’s world-leading agricultural and farming university Harper Adams.

“Livestock-derived foods provide a variety of essential nutrients and other health-promoting compounds, many of which are lacking in diets even among those populations with higher incomes,” the declaration states.

“Well-resourced individuals may be able to achieve adequate diets while heavily restricting meat, dairy and eggs. However, this approach should not be recommended for general populations.”

The researchers warned that those who need to eat animal products included young children, adolescents, pregnant and lactating women, women of reproductive age, older adults and the chronically ill.

‘One-size-fits-all agendas’

Dr Wilhelm Windisch, a farming nutrition expert at the Technical University of Munich, said: “Farmed and herded animals maintain a circular flow of materials in agriculture by using and upcycling large amounts of materials humans cannot eat, turning them into high-quality nutrient dense food.

“One-size-fits-all agendas, such as the drastic reductions of livestock numbers could incur environmental and nutritional consequences on a massive scale.”

The intervention was welcomed by the National Farmers Union (NFU) who were this week promoting Great British Beef Week.

Richard Findlay, the NFU livestock board chair, said: “This peer-reviewed research confirms what we’ve always known – that red meat is a quality, nutritious protein that plays a critical role in a healthy, sustainable balanced diet.

“During Great British Beef Week this week, we can celebrate the sustainability of British beef and the environmental benefits our grazing herds deliver.”

The Global Burden of Diseases team had not responded at the time of publication.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...estock-farming/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-23, 02:40

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Its about time the truth is brought to light and shut down the deceptive lies.

I raise sheep and they regenerate the land.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-23, 03:20

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

It's good to see some push back against the current plant based dietary extremism.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-23, 10:52

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
The Global Burden of Diseases team had not responded at the time of publication.

My favorite part.

The science isn't there for them. They lie.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-01-23, 22:43

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 66%

I go by what I experience. I do love vegetables, but unfortunately for me, a great many of them don't agree with me digestively. I have to be careful and limited in my veggie consumption. If I had to live exclusively on vegetables, I'd be in trouble and I'd also be starving hungry all the time. And very gassy and bloated, I'll add.

On the other hand, I feel my absolute best when I'm eating lots of meat and hardly any vegetables. And no fruit. A very low carb, meat based diet calms my digestive system and I feel optimum on such a diet. No scientist and no study claiming that meat is bad for you will get my attention or respect. It's simply not true for me so I reject it.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-02-23, 04:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Demi, thank you again for taking the time to post the whole article that is behind a paywall. Yesterday, my husband received this link from a colleague, raised on a cattle ranch…they were both involved in an animal life sciences company.
I heard "R sent me an article about meat and nutrition, but I can’t open it".
My answer…Is it this one in The Telegraph? And handed him my iPad to read it. The power of the Internet,

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, May-03-23 at 03:48.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-02-23, 21:17

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Bravo! I want to learn more about the Dublin Declaration and how this critically important statement can be extended to more nutrition scientists and interested parties.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-03-23, 12:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Bravo! I want to learn more about the Dublin Declaration and how this critically important statement can be extended to more nutrition scientists and interested parties.

After considering this further, I like the fact that the Dublin Declaration is a proactive statement in support of the benefits of consuming healthy animal protein. All too often we hear the drumbeat of plant-based or the incredible health benefits of the vegan way of eating, and those messages and the organized nature of the statements need a response. However, therein lies the problem when we desire to look at nutrition through the rigor of a scientific lens. Science cannot be political or it's not science. While I admire the reason behind issuing the Dublin Declaration, it, too, cannot be rigorous science. To counter some of the alternative non-science nutrition claims, that's fine and they're all masquerading as "science," but they are not. Even when these types of statements are made by researchers and "scientists," the mere act of taking a stand to present something as unequivocal conflicts with the "backed by science" claim made by any camp. These statements must be made objectively, supported by research and not by camps.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-03-23, 16:38

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Ive been seeing much about fake meats lately...the kind of animal protein grown in a laboratory. (Shutter) Not natural.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-04-23, 09:51

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hallelujah!

EXCEPT for these sentences:

In one paper published in the issue, experts found no good evidence to support red meat being dangerous below intakes of 75g per day ...

So, I can eat no more than 75g of protein per day. Great.

The NHS also advises that red meat – such as beef, lamb and pork – is a good source of protein, vitamins and minerals and can form part of a balanced diet, although it warns that eating more than 90g per day can raise the risk of bowel cancer.

Oh, so this source I can eat as much as 90g of protein per day. Otherwise, I'll risk bowel cancer.

HOGWASH!!!

They STILL can't simply say it's good for you and leave it at that.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-04-23, 14:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Oh, so this source I can eat as much as 90g of protein per day. Otherwise, I'll risk bowel cancer.

HOGWASH!!!

They STILL can't simply say it's good for you and leave it at that.

Exactly . . . .
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-04-23, 15:17

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

My son and daughter-in-law got me a 3 month subscription to a local meat CSA for my birthday. The CSA has several differently priced levels. The owner of the CSA, that is the person who raised the meat, seemed to think that the amount of meat contained at their highest level was a lot more meat than a single person could possibly eat in a month. It wasn't, at least not for me. It seems that at least this person, who raises beef, pork and chicken, has bought in to some degree this notion that meat consumption needs to be moderate. Meat is the mainstay of my diet. I see no reason, other than potentially financial, to be moderate in my consumption.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-05-23, 02:58

BF:

When I was growing up it was normal to have meat at every meal. Especially for growing children!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-05-23, 08:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Meat is the mainstay of my diet. I see no reason, other than potentially financial, to be moderate in my consumption.

Good point. I am of the same mind in that healthy animal protein in increasing amounts is an (the?) essential component in our diets as we grow wiser. Recent research confirms this and the recommendation to increase protein consumption over time makes a tremendous difference in slowing sarcopenia, achieving and maintaining metabolic health, and preserving the muscle that keeps us safe and balanced in our daily activities. I'm stunned that more people who are in professions that support health and well being don't understand the importance of this key macro.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-11-23, 05:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I'm stunned that more people who are in professions that support health and well being don't understand the importance of this key macro.

One of the recommended tactics for seniors is to add whey protein to the diet, I've been reading, and I found smoothies were essential to getting my health back on track. But such articles seem intent on sneaking it into an otherwise low-nutrient, high junk food diet. Because actively telling a senior to eat more bunless cheeseburgers would be scandalous.

Many people are now afraid of meat. I've had people bragging they have gone "90% meatless" as they reach middle age, and it's all because they want to be healthy. They are getting the WRONG advice and it drives me nuts knowing that.

It's entirely religious and market driven. So now the people who write all those articles on what to eat, funded by processed food ads, are trying to tell people to get more protein without turning to protein foods!

I had appetite and hormone problems: I needed something quick and palatable, and as I get better, I can cook more. But living on keto candy bars won't help as much as they pretend.