Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-19, 10:30

Plan: Atkins - New Diet Rev
Stats: 189/181.6/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Atkins veteran back on Atkins and gained first week

Hello!

I followed Atkins years ago and have always used the old-fashioned Atkins (New Diet Revolution, Diet Revolution). I had to create a new account since the old account's email no longer works (lol).

I've been on Atkins again for a week and I'm disappointed as I seem to have put on weight.

I'm following the old-style Atkins, not any new style.

I'm in full-on ketosis according to my keto sticks. Dark.

I'm doing what I always do on Atkins, including some grey area stuff, which I know will be commented on. One thing I added was pork rinds, and I checked the ingredients and they don't have anything added that would add to carb count.

My meals have been proteins (chicken, beef, etc.), no nuts, a few slices of cheese but mindful as cheese can stall anyone. (4 slices maximum per day).

I have had a lot of diet soda, but in all my Atkins journeys I did this without problems.

Cream cheese, a few ounces per day.

Water, but not enough.

I'm not benefiting from fiber enough so that it offsets the bloating and water retention.

In the past, I have always been able to lose weight the first week!

I drink coffee with a dab of cream and a Splenda packet (sometimes), but a few cups has never stalled me in the past.

So, I'm following what has worked for me and it's been one week.

I'm thinking I shouldn't worry and just wait another week?

But what trips me up is the 5-10 lbs. mark of weight loss or any weight loss that is supposed to accompany the first week of Atkins! Especially the older style without any sort of processed Atkins product.

Prior to this week, I suddenly went crazy on carbs and sugar and realized I needed to stop this. So, that could possibly still be in effect? My body is primed for a sugary diet, unfortunately.

I've been craving food and eating so much of it that I'm shocked, even as a veteran Atkins eater!!!

I actually ate butter by itself! I was obsessed with butter, and was thinking of how people said this was beneficial as it was pure fat.

Patrick

Last edited by patrick27 : Sun, Apr-21-19 at 10:36.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-19, 11:29

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome back

Dr Mike Eades, now famous (or maybe infamous?) articles on "Why is Low Carb Harder the Second Time Around?" In three parts, with hundreds of questions and his thoughts about those too.
https://proteinpower.com/drmike/201...w-carb-dieters/. It’s not really, but he gives many reasons where folks go off the rails.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-19, 12:19

BF:

Hi there! Thank you. This is interesting. A bit overwhelming right now. I need to process and I need to be patient with myself.

But I keep thinking of the guaranteed water loss the first week and how that didn't happen. I'm bloated though.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-19, 18:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I strongly recommend that you go to the Atkins website and read up on how the "new" Atkins works:

https://www.atkins.com/how-it-works

Punitive as it may sound, portion control and tracking really do help a lot.

Turning ketostix purple is no longer the be-all and end-all. They're not recommended anymore as they aren't as big or as accurate an indicator of success as it was formerly believed. You can tell by the way you feel if you're in fat burning mode or not. It takes a while, but if you do low carb and stick with it, the fat burning becomes automatic.

Also, I hate to say it, but our bodies change as we get older and what worked for us 10 or 15 years ago won't necessarily work now, or it may work differently. Tweaks are in order. We tend to lose more slowly. In addition, when you switch to low carb, it takes a while for your body to get used to the new way it processes and uses food for fuel, so you just need to keep at it and be patient.

Wishing you success!

Last edited by barb712 : Sun, Apr-21-19 at 19:48.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-19, 21:09

BF:

Thank you! I’m adverse to New Atkins advice. But I understand that not overeating would be a good idea. I don't like how the company was bought out and transformed the diet into a more acceptable one for mainstream thinking. So I’m a bit leery of anything on the site ;-).
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-19, 22:50

Plan: RNY (small portions)
Stats: 306/225/120 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Yes, I too like the old Atkins philosophy and found it worked best. The only thing I did add was subtracting fibre grams from my carb grams.

Sounds to me like you are retaining water from too much salt. Yummy as cheese is, it is very salty. It's not that it is stalling you, it's that the salt is causing you to hang on to too much water. Try drinking more water and eating less cheese. Maybe add some lettuce to your diet. Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-19, 03:50

The net down of the Dr Eades articles is that people tend to think that they remember the diet but really would benefit from checking the limited foods and rules and following them with the same enthusiasm as the first go round.

Possible problems: A "lot of diet soda" and coffee is over the 6 or 3 cup limit (Dr Westman, who has carried on using a stricter version of the Atkins clinic plan, limits to 3 cups caffeine) sweetener packets also limited to 3, there is no cream cheese allowed, cream is only 4 teaspoons, or a bit more than one tablespoon, etc. recheck the plan here: https://forum.lowcarber.org/showpos...840&postcount=9

Pork rinds were not on the original plan, and while they may be carb free and now allowed, they are loaded with salt. I also think it is possible you haven’t lost this week because of water retention and higher salt intake, but on the other hand, like many returning Atkins’s followers, you’re also not truly doing the original Atkins’s plan. Or as the title of Dr Westman's newest talk says "If you do it right, this will work”

Sure you think me nit-picking, but because you say you are craving food, something is not right.https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=9324911

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Apr-22-19 at 04:06.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-19, 06:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick27
Thank you! I’m adverse to New Atkins advice. But I understand that not overeating would be a good idea. I don't like how the company was bought out and transformed the diet into a more acceptable one for mainstream thinking. So I’m a bit leery of anything on the site ;-).

I understand - I rebel against it in my head and mostly follow DANDR protocol, but the portion and macro guidelines are working for me and so I won't cut off my nose to spite my face.

Again, best to you. I think if you just stay the course, everything will fall into place.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-19, 11:27

BF:

Thanks for your advice. Oh I would definitely agree that in terms of New Atkins, if one is eating way above portions despite eating protein then that would potentially stall. Oh I appreciate all of you. I've stopped the pork rinds because of the salt and I was relying on them way too much. And yes, water retention and salt were definitely problems. I just was so wrapped into the lose water weight fast that is emphasized everywhere that I wasn't happy. But it's another week with no pork rinds, less diet soda and continued enjoyment. Interestingly, I don't crave diet soda like I did last week!!! I've had a little La Croix sparking water: no sweetener and carb free. Thank you all!

I really deeply appreciate the encouragement and advice! :-)
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-19, 18:36

BF:

I weighed myself this evening and have lost a few pounds! I was thinking I would never lose weight, etc.

I had a couple of days of not feeling that hungry. Then my hunger went up. Last night, I ate cheese and realized I need to cut it out or else I may eat too much.

All this recent talk about too much protein to fat has me a bit concerned. But I’m going to ignore the newer news that protein can turn to sugar. Is that okay?

Honestly, I’m not always sure if how much I eat will keep me satisfied, so I may overdo it sometimes. Or underdoe it.

I've been eating salted butter to keep me satisfied. It seems ok to do this. I do it to help with hunger when having a meal with protein.

I don't want to go Keto and measure protein and fat. Too much work.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-19, 18:53

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
so I may overdo it sometimes. Or underdoe it
Welcome back, Patrick. What ever you do, do try not to over-THINK it.

I don’t like to track stuff either. In that case, it helps to pick a “list” and use that for your absolute guide. Dr. Westman’s list is excellent. The one at the back of Gary Taubes’s Why We Get Fat is good too (I think it’s Westman’s also). Of course you can find Dr. Atkins’s original list on this site, in the stickies at the top of the Atkins thread.

If it’s on the list, you can eat it. If it’s not not. Easy, right?

The next thing is, as you’ve already discerned, patience. The Weight Creep works quite slowly, both ways.

Enjoy the journey.
Best wishes.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-19, 19:48

BF:

Thank you very much!

I’m disappointed to see caffeine discouraged. I wonder how many of us it affects. I was thinking just a cup a day of regular might be fine. But I suppose testing is the only way to find out.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 02:07

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
All this recent talk about too much protein to fat has me a bit concerned. But I’m going to ignore the newer news that protein can turn to sugar. Is that okay?

Gluconeogenesis is demand-driven, not supply-driven. What that means is that the breakdown of proteins into glucose is not driven by an excess of protein, but by a shortage of glucose. The two states are not necessarily the same thing. Amy Berger has discussed this subject in her blog.

Quote:
Honestly, I’m not always sure if how much I eat will keep me satisfied, so I may overdo it sometimes. Or underdoe it.

Let you hunger be the judge. Eat when you're hungry, don't when you're not, it's that simple. I've had a number of evenings when it's been time for dinner, but I've just skipped it since I didn't feel like eating. Other times I've broken a fast a few hours early because I was feeling peckish. It's not a big deal either way, imo.

Quote:
I don't want to go Keto and measure protein and fat. Too much work.

That's fair enough, I never measured them either. The only thing I've measured was carbs.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 05:39

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Eat when you're hungry, don't when you're not, it's that simple.
Well, maybe not so simple. My "hunger signal" has been broken for most of my life. In addition, choosing when to eat or not is a privilege enjoyed by people who live mostly solitary or independent lives. When you have a family, whether or not you are the "cook," making sure meals arrive at regular times is not unreasonable .

Just one more variation on the N = 1 experiment we all pursue. Which brings me to caffeine.

I've learned to live without a lot of things in my many years as an LC devotee. Coffee isn't one of them. I use coffee (usually with caffeine) as a comfort "food" and no one will pry it out of my hands. YMMV.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 06:00

Dr. Westman's limit on caffeine is 3 cups ... one of his guidelines I ignore because...