Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 16:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/150.5/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Question Breastfeeding a two year old

Hi everyone.
I've never posted here before and have a question re: breastfeeding a *toddler* and low carbing.

I have a two year old daughter who hasn't quite wanted to give up BF yet. She is BF basically twice a day, nap and bed times. I have tried (while BF) Weight Watchers and some other diets (plus exercising) but these last darn 20 pound just don't want to come off. I have had great success with Atkins in the past (pre pregnancy) and am dying to go back on it. I know that they say low carb diets are not recommended if BF, but I'm wondering if that is more targeted towards newborns, babies feeding several times a day, etc. I've tried doing just the "maintenance" levels of Atkins while BF, but it just doesn't seem to cut it for me. I believe I need to do "full blown" Atkins to kick start my system. Problem is my daughter is not showing any signs of wanting to give up BF anytime soon and I'm trying to do baby-lead weaning (she still loves it so much!). But I really want to lose the rest of this weight before we start trying to conceive #2 later next year and I'm back to square one!

Does anyone have any input re: low carbing while BF an *older child*? There is such mixed info out there. Some say ketones can be found in breastmilk, others say it is unknown. I even found an interview with Dr. Atkins on the web where he was asked about doing his diet while BF and he said it was "quite safe" but weight loss will be slower- no mention of "maintenance only". Yet, his FAQ on his website says to use "maintenance only" while BF. If ketones aren't the concern, but "nutrition" to me and the baby is, I don't see it as being an issue for an older child who is doing it only for comfort at this point (not nutrition-- of course, she's on table food and has been for over a year).

Any thoughts are much appreciated. Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I searched and only found BF questions re: younger babies.

Thanks in advance!

Jill in Sunny Phoenix, AZ

P.S. If induction is completely out of the question, what would be the ideal carb grams to shoot for each day to still lose weight? I am 5'3" weight 149 an am shooting for 130. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 16:46
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi! I ain't no doktah, but AFAIK, the breastfeeding warning is aimed at mums of babes who are still dependant on breast milk for their main source of nutrition. At least one BF mum that I've seen here recently got the okay from her doctor because the baby was almost completely weaned. Have you asked your doctor about it?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 17:21

Stats: 160/150.5/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Thanks Kristine

Thanks Kristine.

You know I haven't talked to my doc, because most of them in mainstream medicine are SO anti-Atkins.... but I might just ask my OB when I go in January for my annual visit.

I welcome any and all replies, though, from low carbers!

Thanks again.

Jill
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 09:37
Registered Member

Stats: 232/208/130 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default you'll be fine!

the only worry with LC is the during induction, milk supply CAN be affected. but you are nusing a (lucky!!) 2 year old who only needs a little milk, and is nursing for comfort and not so much nutrition. if you're worried, go right into OWL and skip induction. i think induction would be fine though at this stage. i'm doing induction + extra salads and i am nursing a 9 month old who is still not taking any solids.

michelle
218/214/130
mama to Zella 3-30-02