Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-21, 10:26

Plan: Rosedale
Stats: 129/125/122 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress:
Default Cancer and palmitic acid

Can’t find the study. Anyone here able to access it yet? The article indicates increase risk of cancer growth with animal butter cheese palm oils. Surely not!?!
https://amp.theguardian.com/society...pread-of-cancer
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-21, 11:56

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

It's available here.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-21, 13:32

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Haven't read it yet. Want to look for what's in the cells/mice were fed besides palmitic acid.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-21, 17:11

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_rose
It's available here.

From the above link:
Quote:
Here we show that dietary palmitic acid (PA), but not oleic acid or linoleic acid, promotes metastasis in oral carcinomas and melanoma in mice. Tumours from mice that were fed a short-term palm-oil-rich diet (PA), or tumour cells that were briefly exposed to PA invitro, remained highly metastatic even after being serially transplanted (without further exposure to high levels of PA).

They didn't show as far as I understand it that any particular fat caused cancer, just that if you're a mouse with cancer (in whatever way the researchers caused you to develop that?!) or are a cancer cell growing in laboratory dish that was later implanted into a mouse, for some unknown reason pre-exposure of these existing cancer cells to palmitic acid had some sort of effect making them more metastatic. Since I am not a mouse, or worse yet a mouse with oral or melanoma cancers, and since I'm aware of research showing too much dietary linoleic acid is not a good thing, I'll stick with my intake of naturally palmitic acid containing foods I consider healthy (for humans, not mice) such as meat and dairy fats and not interpret this study as an opportunity to frighten me away from eating healthy natural saturated fats.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-21, 17:43

BF:

They say it make the cell use fat more effectively--this suggests to me that maybe it has something to do with that palmitic acid induced "physiological insulin resistance" we've been reading about here and around the low carb community for years. That's why I'm wondering what else is fed. Cells that are wasteful of glucose or other glucogenic materials needed to feed into the citric acid cycle for it to efficiently burn fat would have trouble getting the energy they need for cancer promotion. Basically, switching over to fat burning would preserve amino acids and glucose needed for growth--with sufficient glucose, that might not be necessary at all.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-21, 17:56

BF:

There are other studies where oleic acid or formation of oleic acid from palmitic acid is rate limiting for cancer growth. One study compared calorie restriction to a ketogenic diet--the ketogenic diet was more effective versus cancer if it contained more palmitic and less oleic acid.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...11020135918.htm

Quote:
Lipid shortages impair tumor growth because cancer cells need lipids to construct their cell membranes. Normally, when lipids aren't available in a tissue, cells can make their own. As part of this process, they need to maintain the right balance of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids, which requires an enzyme called stearoyl-CoA desaturase (SCD). This enzyme is responsible for converting saturated fatty acids into unsaturated fatty acids.

These are the two most common fats in the human body. And human bodies carry a much longer supply of fat than a mouse does, this is probably much harder to manipulate in us.