Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 13:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 153/138/126 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default Low Carbers in Cork!

Hi, I'm new to this...dunno if any of you are from Cork, but I'm looking to know where I can buy Atkins diet products. The only place I know of is the 'Nature's Way' Health food shop in Merchant's Quay (Cork City), but they only stock milkshakes and bars. I'd love to purchase low carb bread or even the bread mix....anyone from cork? And do they know where I can buy this stuff? You Dubs are lucky...ye seem to have millions of low-carb stuff at your disposal! I'd appreciate some help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 08:33

Plan: www.radiantrecovery.com
Stats: 155/152/140 Male 169cm
BF:
Progress:
Smile another corkonian here

Hi there. I'm from cork too and I haven't seen any of the low-carb bread unfortunately. O'briens do an option of low-carb bread for their sandwiches thouhg. O'briens in paul street is probably the best place to try (there's another natures way in paul's street as well btw) as they have the low-carb ad in their window.

Wholewheat bread wise I find the dunnes stores wholegrain bread to be the best.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 09:12
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Kori. I'll let u know if I come across any other low-carb stuff. Our health food shop in Fermoy has no low-carb stuff whatsoever, but I'll be in Cork on Sat and will check out the low-carb scene!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 11:01
Registered Member

BF:
Default Here's a tip

Hey, just in case you're in the city over the weekend...a friend of mine suggested checking out some little shop called ABC (alternative bread company) in the English Market. I've never been to the shop, but just in case you get the chance before I do, check it out. They might hve some good kind of Wholegrain Bread/Low carb bread available.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 11:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/150/130 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress:

The Quay Co-op has some low carb stuff now. Nice to meet some Cork low-carbers - I was starting to think I was the only one!
The English Market is great for bulk buying meat too - I particularly like the chicken counter - the chicken breasts are massive - must be bloody enormous chickens!

Edited to add - the chocolate counter in the English Market is now selling Woodies bars in Hazelnut and Orange - they are low carb and yummy.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 03:34

BF:
Progress:

If anyone is interested (looks like there's no-one else in here), you can buy low carb wraps in M&S now - they're very nice indeed.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 06:42
Registered Member

Stats: 260/238/170 Male 69.5
BF:
Progress: 24%

Have you got a carb total for the Wraps? Would be deadly handy when just grabbing something quick at home
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 03:43

BF:
Progress:

I think it depends on the filling - I had a chicken one and it was 6 carbs I think.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 04:17

Stats: 140/126/112 Female 5'
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glastocat
The Quay Co-op has some low carb stuff now. Nice to meet some Cork low-carbers - I was starting to think I was the only one!
The English Market is great for bulk buying meat too - I particularly like the chicken counter - the chicken breasts are massive - must be bloody enormous chickens!

Edited to add - the chocolate counter in the English Market is now selling Woodies bars in Hazelnut and Orange - they are low carb and yummy.

My God you are SUCH a lifesaver! I've been buying the kitkat low carb bars in Bridge News, Bridge Street but they're E1.20 for a two-finger bar and not satisfying AT ALL. The Woodies Bars are a very reasonable 60 cents and absolutely yummy. I did a Ketostix test an hour after I ate one just to make sure there really was only 3grams of carbs in them and, sure enough, still in high ketosois
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 16:30
Registered Member

BF:

There was some article in the Mirror a couple of months ago about low carbs and they gave a few examples of whats good. They have 'Ham&Cheese' rolls in M&S at something like 1 carb each and the Chicken Tikka in Tesco is about 5 cbs...apparently! Havent tried em' tho.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 15:02

Stats: 256/217/195 Male 6.0"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armonita
Hi, I'm new to this...dunno if any of you are from Cork, but I'm looking to know where I can buy Atkins diet products. The only place I know of is the 'Nature's Way' Health food shop in Merchant's Quay (Cork City), but they only stock milkshakes and bars. I'd love to purchase low carb bread or even the bread mix....anyone from cork? And do they know where I can buy this stuff? You Dubs are lucky...ye seem to have millions of low-carb stuff at your disposal! I'd appreciate some help!

Hi I am from Cork and have been searching for low carb stuff for about a month.Boots in Wilton, Dunnes in Bishopstown stock some Atkins products.
I go to Dublin often where and what can you buy in Dublin? How long are you doing low carb? It takes a while to get used to it and to be able to plan your meals. But it does work.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 15:18

Stats: 256/217/195 Male 6.0"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie_m
My God you are SUCH a lifesaver! I've been buying the kitkat low carb bars in Bridge News, Bridge Street but they're E1.20 for a two-finger bar and not satisfying AT ALL. The Woodies Bars are a very reasonable 60 cents and absolutely yummy. I did a Ketostix test an hour after I ate one just to make sure there really was only 3grams of carbs in them and, sure enough, still in high ketosois

Hi I bought some ketoslim bars in the quay co-op they cost 3.50 but they were quite nice. You said you did a ketostix test, I have never heard of it before. Is it a way of testing the carbs? The shop in the market has a new range of low carb choclate just in, things are getting better.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 01:59

Stats: 140/126/112 Female 5'
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyq
Hi I bought some ketoslim bars in the quay co-op they cost 3.50 but they were quite nice. You said you did a ketostix test, I have never heard of it before. Is it a way of testing the carbs? The shop in the market has a new range of low carb choclate just in, things are getting better.

Have a look here...or read the chapter in Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution... Ketostix are available in most chemists in Cork...

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/ketostix.html