Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-16, 10:52

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 150/130/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Hello.... again

I joined this forum back in 2010, but haven't been back since then. I was dx'd with diabetes back then, and over the years have been on mostly a LCHF way of eating - testing my blood sugar to make sure foods I eat don't spike. I've mostly maintained dietary ketosis for the last couple years, which has been possible by eating lots of fats, keeping protein minimal, and about 20-30g carbs per day.

I hope to participate in the discussions now. I think this is a great group here.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-16, 13:56
Boldly going...

Plan: keto
Stats: 410/298.6/225 Male 74 inches
BF:40/35%/17%
Progress: 60%

Welcome! I'm fairly new here myself; glad you made it here. I was diagnosed in 2009 with an A1c of 7.8. Through the loss of about 60 lbs, eating LCHF, and metformin, I dropped that to 5.8. I've been maintaining in that range ever since. Went off metformin 3-4 years ago.

I still have weight to lose, and would like to get my A1C down in the low 5s if not below 4. Want to get my HDL and Triglycerides in better shape too, so I joined this board a few weeks back.

I would definitely suggest looking at the stuff of Dr. Jason Fung, and his website IntenstiveDietaryManagement.com. There's a lot to wade through but if you look through the last few pages of the Dr. Fung thread here, you might find a few things you might consider. Dr. Fung is an advocate of Intermittent Fasting in combination with a low carb diet for the treatment and reversal of diabetes. His main point is that the over production of insulin and how that has created insulin resistance in us. If you're interested, I'll try to pick out a few good places to start and post them back to this thread.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-16, 14:18

BF:

Thanks for the welcome Marvin

My last A1C (March 2015) was 4.9%, so I'm pretty happy about that. I haven't lost that last 5 lbs but may not bother at this point. The reason is probably that I eat too much protein, and I haven't found a way to reduce meat and still be satisfied. And, I eat too many nuts.

My way of eating is complicated because I am sensitive to eggs and dairy (mainstays of LCHF), but I consume the fats I'm able to (bacon grease, tallow, coconut oil and coconut cream, olive oil, avocados, etc.)

Staying in ketosis bypasses insulin resistance, since the body uses ketones from fat metabolism and not carbs, so there's not so much need for insulin. At least, this has been my experience.

BTW - it took two years for my HDL to rise up into the low 50s and for my Trigs to get below 100 - but they got there in the end. I can't do much exercise because of back problems, so the progress was slow. I got my LDL tested for particle size and it's mostly TypeA, the large and benign type. But, again, this took over a year to accomplish while staying on LCHF religiously.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-16, 14:24
Boldly going...

Plan: keto
Stats: 410/298.6/225 Male 74 inches
BF:40/35%/17%
Progress: 60%

Veejay,
I should have read your stats. You are doing well! 4.9 is awesome. And those are my "hoped" for numbers for Trigs and HDL.

I look forward to your contributions here!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-16, 11:07

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome VeeJay

Your wrote back then you were following the Rosedale Diet, but see that you have now worked out what is best for you and your food allergies. Great numbers! All the best,
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-16, 12:29

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Welcome, VeeJay! As Marvin says, this is a good, welcoming group. Impressive that you're managing your situation very well.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-16, 15:30

BF:

Thanks for the welcome.

Rosedale was a good starting point. I also tried Atkins Induction, and still eat pretty much like that with much more fat.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-16, 09:39

Plan: IF, LCHF
Stats: 175/110/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 130%

Hey VeeJay! This board is a blast: lots of science and lots of caring. I have been more than a lurker (I do comment sometimes), more like a sponge soaking up ideas then rushing off to research, study, read more.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-16, 22:24

BF:

Hey, yourself. I wondered if I'd see some familiar names here.