Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Sun, Nov-20-05, 14:47

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

how long will this keep in the fridge for?? i know it freezes well, but when you freeze it it does get a slightly different texture.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Sun, Nov-20-05, 14:53

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Aci, no clue. I know it stays fresh for at least 5 days. And I know I can polish off almost the whole flippin' cheesecake in 5 days.
  #138   ^
Old Sun, Nov-20-05, 19:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/259/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Cherry

I tried the recipe with Cherry DaVinci's. It was ok. I much prefer the Caramel!
  #139   ^
Old Sun, Nov-20-05, 22:22
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 205.5/192/175 Female 70 inches
BF:-%/35%/-%
Progress: 44%

I just made the cheesecake today and I'm in heaven! I made it without a crust and honestly, it doesn't need one in my opinion. I took out a cup of batter as suggested, but I added SF lemonade mix to it, so now it has a little tartness, which I love in cheesecake. Thank you so so so much for this recipe! I'm having cheesecake for T'giving this year!
  #140   ^
Old Sun, Nov-20-05, 22:51
Registered Member

Since I made the cheesecake without a crust and used light cream cheese, I ran the ingredients through FitDay and this is what I came up with - can someone let me know if this seems off?

Entire recipe:
2,226 calories
199 grams fat
56 grams carb

Per serving (I rounded up fractions):
186 calories
17 grams fat
5 grams carb
  #141   ^
Old Mon, Nov-21-05, 11:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 243/238/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Fitday shows alot more carbs on the lowfat cream cheese over the regular. I'd say check your packages nutritional info. I've notcied alot of lowfat products have more carbs than the regular (they gotta makeup the taste with something). I made it crustless with regular Philadelphia cream cheese and I think it was 41 carbs as follows:
Carbs:
Cream cheese 12
Sour cream 15
Splenda 12
Eggs 1
Vanilla 1
  #142   ^
Old Mon, Nov-21-05, 12:02
Registered Member

I did use the nutritional info from the cream cheese package (Philadelphia Cream Cheese 1/3 less fat) which listed less than 1 gram of carb per 1 oz.

I always round up carbs, so I counted 1 oz. of cream cheese as 1 gram of carbs, or 16 grams for the whole recipe. I never trust the values that Fitday gives me, isn't that anal of me?

Last edited by GinnyF : Mon, Nov-21-05 at 12:08.
  #143   ^
Old Mon, Nov-21-05, 22:08

BF:

sounds reasonable to me. I always go by the package info too if I have that info (stuff that shows zero carbs per servings are the ones I check out with Fitday). Sounds like Fitday has an erroneous count for the cream cheese.
  #144   ^
Old Tue, Nov-22-05, 03:28

BF:

Agreed. I use the Philly 1/3 less fat (neufchatel) also and use that count. The store brand of the neufchatel is something like 3 carbs per ounce! Fitday is great, but when I have the actual package, I use it.

Glad you guys like the recipe. I think I'll be making a cheesecake for Thanksgiving, too. This time I might buy some Splenda-sweetened strawberry or rasperry jam, dab some on the top (before baking) and swirl it around.
  #145   ^
Old Tue, Nov-22-05, 20:17

i like that idea Bawdy, never thought of swirling the jam right in. i usually just put a dollop on top before eating.

has anybody experimented with crusts. i am wondering if anybody has been successful in making a crispy crust. i usually use the nut/butter crust and have tried baking the crust first, but in the end it always ends up soggy....any ideas?
  #146   ^
Old Tue, Nov-22-05, 20:39

BF:

For anyone that's tried it--how does the texture come out if you substitute DaVinci's for the splenda? I made it with splenda and it came out perfectly so I'm apprehensive about adding more liquid but I just got some caramel DaVinci's that I'd like to try. Also does the sweetness level come out differently? I can't tell if DaVinci's is as sweet as splenda.
  #147   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-05, 07:53

BF:

I've tried it both ways (Splenda and liquid syrup) and can't see that it makes much difference, strangely enough. Others might have different experiences.

I had another thought. When I go to the grocery store today, I'm going to check to see if they have a LC caramel ice cream topping. I'll make a plain cheesecake, and then drizzle the slices with a bit of the caramel and top it with some chopped nuts. And, of course, whipped cream!

DH just said he wants a pumpkin pie, so I guess I'll make that for dessert. Other than the crust, it's low-carb (I have always substituted Splenda for the sugar). I'll just eat the filling (and, of course, the whipped cream!) and leave the crust. My pie crust stinks, anyway! I usually just buy the ready-made crusts!
  #148   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-05, 08:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176/150/150 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi

I'm gonna give this a try but with the crust. Do you bake the crust first and then put in the batter or throw them all in together?

Thanks

Tony
  #149   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-05, 10:15

BF:

Nope. Put the crust in, pat it down, and top it with the filling.
  #150   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-05, 20:14

i have tried the crust both ways, baked first and not. there is no difference in the end. i am wishing i knew of a way to keep the crust...crusty and crisp. while it does a good job of keeping things together and it has a very good taste, it is rather mushy in texture.

i have also tried the liquid splenda(divinci's syrups) and the granular splenda and like Bawdy said there is no noticable difference for me.