Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 20:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Unhappy need help heavy bleeding

hi i just need some reassurance i guess. i have been living atkins for over a year and now all the sudden i have had tom since april 28th and getting heavier by the day. i dont take birth control as i have my tubes tied. i talked to the ob gyn today and he put me on provera for 21 days, ibuprofen 3 times a day and then when that is finished said i will need to take birth control pills to level out all these hormone changes. he says atkins is a good thing, just have to let body adjust. i just searched the great web and came across an article that says if you drink plenty of water you can get this under control. does anyone else have these problems? is provera going to keep me from reaching my goal weight do you think? help any advice would be appreciated

trying hard to keep smiling about this,but the hubby isnt smiling
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 20:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Fat stores hormones, so as you are loosing fat, you are starting to excrete more hormones. Which leads to irregular periods.

Make sure you are taking you vitamins, and drinking the plenty of water can't hurt either!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 21:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default re:help

well im glad to hear that so do you think it will get better with time, it is a freak thing. i guess im more worried if the provera is going to stop my weightloss. i take vitamins every day, flax seed, and extra vitamin c. thanks for the help
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 00:43

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Be prepared to readjust your goal weight. On LC, people tend to keep lean muscle mass and lose fat, so you could BE smaller but weigh a bit more than you expect. Hope your problem clears up soon. Good for you for consulting your Dr. first. And HOW WONDERFUL that he likes the LC way!!!! You are lucky.

#5   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 17:23
Registered Member

Stats: 194/140/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 84%

OMG I think Talon might have given me the solution to the opposite problem! My TOM is way late, like nearly two weeks and I can't figure out why. I was so hoping for that TOM whoosh at the end of the month too. Does anyone else think it's likely that that's the reason my TOM disappeared last month? (And NO, I'm not preggers, I've had a tubal ligation too .
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 07:11

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Yes, it is more common than not that women experience a couple of 'irregular' months when starting LC, especially Atkins Induction. You could skip a period, have an early one or have breakthrough bleeding/spotting if you are on birth control pills or injections.

Things should get back to normal the next month.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 10:43
Registered Member

Stats: 160/153.5/120
BF:29
Progress: 16%
Smile bloating gone

this is a relief to read. My TOM has been odd today, odd in a good way, but odd, a few symptoms changed.

I've also noticed that my bloating is practically nonexistant, except for some puffiness in my lower abs. Usually its all over my body, esp thighs.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 17:48

Stats: 168/139/120
BF:36%/29%/18%
Progress: 60%
Default I agree

I agree with whomever said that fat stores hormones. Fat and estrogen are best buddies !! It would make sense that as your fat resources are depeleted, your horormones will do funky things to your cycles.

When we were doing fertility treatments, I gained 17 lbs just from the horomones alone . I was taking Clomid, Pergonal, Estrogen, HcG, and Progesterone. Not only did the horomones make me hugely bloated, it took three months for my cycle to get back to anything remotely normal.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 23:03

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

as your weight and fat stores normalize, you can also become more fertile - so be sure if you don't want to become pregnant that you are taking proper measures.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 09:53

Plan: somersizing
Stats: 252/232/135
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default This is so true

In 1995 I went on a herbal weight loss program, lost 23lbs, and 2 months later I was pregnant. I was 35 years old and my husband & I had totally given up on ever having a child, because I do not ovulate. I have not gotten pregnant again, even though we tried really hard. I have to say, there is a little concern, that this might happen again, and at age 43 now, this might be scary for me. I refuse to use birth control (never had to) at this stage in my life. Kellie