Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-16, 13:56

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Kidney Stones is what got my DH to the emergency room in the first place and when he first was told about his high blood sugar. Lots of articles out there on this subject.

I was searching the forum and look at what I found. We were talking about this over a hear ago, November 2014
http://forum.lowcarber.org/archive/...p/t-463695.html

Last edited by Meme#1 : Sat, Jan-30-16 at 14:10.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-16, 14:02

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Yeah, after Steve had to have several removals, they did an analysis on the composition of the stones and it was protein. I hope he doesn't get them again, on this plan. I am working on getting a well supported number for what his protein should be. He will abide by it with no fussing, as he already knows what stones are like.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-16, 17:16

BF:

I don't think it has anything to do with protein they eat. It's the blood sugars out of wak that puts the body in a chemical state which causes the stones.
Since my DH has been on low carb and is controlling his BS(14 months ago ) he has had no stones.
He is the healthiest I've seen him in 10 years.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-16, 17:39

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

The alternative would have been calcium. I already considered that it might be how the body uses the protein rather than the amount.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-16, 18:20

BF:

Ann, Here is an interesting post with some good information from here on the forum.

Lisa N
Mon, Aug-25-03, 15:50

It's not the protein that they eat, it's the high blood sugars!
When blood sugar enters the bloodstream in excess it can by bound to a hemoglobin molecule and become glycosylated hemoglobin. Now, normally hemoglobin (a protein) is not filtered by the kidneys because the molecule is too large to fit through the filtering pores. Glucose, on the other hand, is filtered through the kidneys when it is in excess; this is one of the methods that the body uses to lower high blood sugars, but dumping the excess through the urine. The problem comes in when glucose is bound to hemoglobin. The body tries to dump the excess glucose by filtering it through the kidneys and into the urine, but runs into a problem. The glucose is now bound to an already too large hemoglobin molecule and now looks something like this oO. The small end is the glucose molecule and the large is the hemoglobin. When the glucose/hemoglobin molecule tries to fit through the filtering pore, it gets stuck. Pressure builds up behind the stuck molecule and eventually forces it through the filtering pore causing damage. When this process repeats itself thousands of times a day, the damage is escalated.
For the most part, diabetic complications are caused by poorly controlled blood sugars or blood sugars that are maintained above non-diabetic readings (which some doctors feel is perfectly acceptable). If you want to avoid diabetic complications, the best way to do that is by maintaining non-diabetic blood sugars as much as humanly possible.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/archive/...p/t-132934.html
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-16, 05:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

BP on LC over time:
http://primaldocs.com/members-blog/...-blood-pressure

BP can also reduce in the short term:
"You know how people always say, "Oh, you just lose water on that diet."(1) It's not true, as anyone who has given low carbing a serious shot knows. But there is a grain of truth in this: The fast weight loss during the first week of a low carb diet does chiefly come from water loss.

High insulin levels make your kidneys retain sodium, you see. And as anyone who is concerned with blood pressure knows, sodium makes you hold water. Insulin also causes your kidneys to throw off potassium, the mineral that helps your body eliminate water. With too much sodium and not enough potassium, your body retains water, increasing the volume of your blood, causing high blood pressure."
http://holdthetoast.com/low-carb-lowers-blood-pressure

Other steps to lower BP:
http://www.dietdoctor.com/blood-pressure#lifestyle