Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-10, 11:15
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 152/152/140 Female 64
BF:don't/wanna/know
Progress: 0%
Default Daily carb intake

i'm wondering how many carbs you all eat daily? it seems as a vegetarian, eating under 20 is not impossible, but hard. i just started low carb 2 wks ago and i'm at/under 40 carbs per day. i've only lost 4.5 lbs and started exercising again yesterday. i *think* my love handles have gotten smaller, though.

anyway, just wanted to get a sense of what others are doing!

thx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-10, 22:23

Plan: Low Carb Vegan
Stats: 230/230/165 Female 63"
BF:?/?/22%

This is a question I wonder as well. When I was a meat eater. I lost 50lbs on on 20-30g carbs per day and kept it off for 3 years. Then I became a vegan and I thought the weight wouldnt creep back on but it did. Now I am fighting to lose the weight again but I have no idea how low is actually feasible and if you can even get into ketosis as a Vegan. I'm going to shoot for 40g per day and see how that does. I figure its a dramatic reduction in what I had been previously eating.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-10, 21:39

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 285/181/180 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

I eat relatively a lot of carbs - trying to keep it under 100, or 20% of my total calories, and have lost 40lbs so far. If I let them get above 20%, though, I'll retain water and stop losing weight.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 12:22
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 152/152/140 Female 64
BF:don't/wanna/know

since i originally posted, i still am only at 140 lbs, however i am losing fat!! i hover around 30 carbs, maybe 40. I might be able to go higher, but haven't tried. i started using myplan, which has helped tremendously and i cut out nuts. i noticed that whenever i ate nuts, i'd gain the next day.
i guess i just needed to trust the process!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 16:22

Plan: Atkins + Vegetarian
Stats: 167/154.6/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I'm just starting too, and even with a very low-carb focus (mostly eggs, cheese, soy "meats", low carb veggies) I'm in the 30-35 range.

I plan do do induction (Atkins) at 30-35 as my target.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-11, 00:04

Plan: no white diet
Stats: 136/128/122 Female 166
BF:
Progress: 57%

Below 20 is too low . I would suggest you to up it to around 30 - 35 just like justsmurfy . Try sticking to egg's, green veggies, nuts and fruits ( some are high carb, be careful ) which are high in protein . Try looking for new recipes and dishes and add a bit more of variety to keep the LC diet interesting .
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-11, 19:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315.5/315.5/170 Female 5ft6
BF:Got It
Default Theories?

I just read this thread as it is the big question I have as I go back to LC. I switched to a flexitarian diet a month ago (only eat meat on the weekends right now but dont miss it so we'll see) but I want to add the LC concept as I always enjoyed how I felt LCing - ANYHOW - I was a bit surprised to see that some of you are really that low on a vegetarian diet (20-30). Perhaps some others could weigh in on this and explain how they determined the right number or carbs etc! I would really be interested in hearing! I am a fromer atkins student but less meat was just not a consideration - it is now though
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 00:41

Plan: no white diet
Stats: 136/128/122 Female 166
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hi LCNikki, can you share your experience with Atkins? Many actresses seem to find it helpful. Eg: Catherine Zeta-Jones
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-11, 12:50

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 285/181/180 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Well, in spite of eating the most carbs here (though I didn't usually eat 100 - usually more like 60-80), I'm at my goal weight! (Well, within a pound of it) Just going to be trying to maintain from now on. 180 lbs at 5'9" might be technically overweight, but it's perfectly fine for me.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-11, 08:02

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSmurfy
I'm just starting too, and even with a very low-carb focus (mostly eggs, cheese, soy "meats", low carb veggies) I'm in the 30-35 range.

I plan do do induction (Atkins) at 30-35 as my target.

JustSmurfy, in the past when I've tried to do a vegetarian version of low carbing, I also found that I usually could get no lower than 35. But that took eating few vegetables and lots of soy-based protein that was "fake", like veggie burgers and hot dogs (at least in my case) and I prefer to eat "clean" whole foods.

Right now I'm doing the South Beach Diet and I'm at around 100-120 carbs/day. I don't weigh myself and I've only been at it for about 5 days but I do feel a lot of difference so far. For myself, eating higher carbs (ok, quite a bit higher!) and whole foods like beans and fruit is preferable to eating low carb and a lot of processed soy products.

Tam
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-11, 08:36

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

i'm pescatarian, but eat completely vegetarian most days.

i eat around 17-30 day, usually right around 20-22.

i eat a LOT of eggs- cheese, mayo, cream everyday. i eat olives or nuts everyday as well and veggies, of course. i also drink a lot of coconut milk. I go through one box of veggy burgers/wk (so 4x/wk).

I'm 5'9, and weight about 150.

here are a few sample menus:

B- coffee, HWC, sf torani syrup (.5 carbs)
L- omelet with smoked gouda and mushrooms, sf catsup (6.5 carbs)
S- 6 olives (1 carb)
D- salad of wilted garlic spinach, fresh tomato slices, vegetarian bacon slices, sliced avocado and dressing made with mustard/mayo/1 packet splenda. This is a veggy version of a BLT salad with sweet mustard dressing (12 carbs)
S- a popsicle made with coconut milk/splenda/lime juice (3 carbs)

total= 23 carbs

B- coffee, HWC, sf torani syrup (.5 carbs)
L- egg salad on 3 stalks of celery (5 carbs)
S- almonds (2 carbs)
D- veggy burger with cheese, mustard, mayo, and a tomato slice/pickles wrapped in romaine (4 carbs- 5 if i want a double boca burger)
S- float made diet orange soda and HWC (.5 carbs)

total= 13 carbs

can definitely be done! good luck everyone.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-11, 12:18

Plan: Vege VLC
Stats: 291/232/168 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

I try to eat about 20grams of carbs a day.

This basically means that on standard days I eat various combinations of;

eggs, green leaves, celery, cucumber, asparagus, avocados, cream cheese (turned into things usually), cheeses, almonds, olives, sugar free jelly (what is called jello in the US I think), sesame seeds, soy milk, quorn, blueberries, cauliflower & broccoli & very occasionally some yellow pepper.

Today; breakfast a sort of oatmeal thing I make with sesame seeds soaked in soy milk, with sweetener & a little powdered ginger. Lunch leaves, asparagus, mozzarella cheese, celery garlic mayonnaise. Dinner, egg mayonnaise, asparagus roasted in olive oil & lemon juice, mixed leaves, cucumber (random I know but it was nice). Jelly. Snacks, almonds & camembert cheese.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-11, 16:53

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 173/170/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

I eat carbs only for breakfast in the form of a bowl of oatmeal or whole wheat cream of wheat, with no fats added. Not sure on the counts, I don't count carbs or anything else.

I combine foods - I eat either a protein/fat/veggie meal or a carb/veggie meal. I never have carbs within 3 hours of a protein or fat.

The weight is just falling off of me at this point, I don't know how long it will continue to do this, but I'm loving it for sure.

I think it's pretty possible to go pretty low-carb tho - I've been eating all my lunches and dinners and snacks with no carbs whatsoever. I eat things like lots of veggies, lots of soups, lots of salads.

Oh, I also do absolutely no sugar, I sub Truvia.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-11, 00:54

Plan: Low fat diet
Stats: 119/114/100 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

I ate lean meats and veggies in the morning. Oatmeal, wheat bread, boil eggs, fruits during Lunch. Vegetable Salad with mackerel in the evening or other Salad I like to eat and prepare as long as it is a low carb meal. I avoid drinks with high sugar, I am not losing weight though as there is no need for me to, but I am maintaining my weight just fine and my curves.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-11, 09:49

Plan: the vegetarian low carb d
Stats: 254/180/165 Female 174cm
BF:
Progress:

im followin the rose elliot vegetarian low carb diet, and though it can be hard some days when you just want to eat, 20g of carbs or less can be done with quite a substantial amount of food. id reccommend the book, ive done it before without it n all i ate was egg cheese n cauliflower! now im definately varyin it abit. i find it hard to ration my cheese though lol

as for the vegan person sayin about gettin into ketosis n what carbs it takes. i was on lipotrim for nearly 3 weeks, that was 50g of carbs a day and i was in ketosis all the time

hth