Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-24, 14:38

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Healthy, protein-heavy diet and plenty of water could alleviate menopause symptoms

Quote:
What you should be eating to ease menopause symptoms

Healthy, protein-heavy diet and plenty of water could alleviate symptoms such as hot flushes and weight gain, study finds

Menopausal women should follow a protein-rich diet akin to a weightlifter’s to help ease hot flushes and reduce symptoms, a study has found.

Hot flushes and weight gain are often the first signs of menopause, data show, but a healthy diet can alleviate discomfort.

Scientists from Semmelweis University in Hungary analysed 134 different studies on the effect of diet on women going through menopause and found certain eating habits offset the changes caused by hormonal alterations.

One of the recommendations was to consume 1–1.2g of protein per kilogram of body mass, a rule of thumb used by gym-goers to help them maintain and build muscle.

For a woman who weighs nine stone, for example, this would be 57kg and therefore 57g of protein a day.

An egg contains about 13g of protein, a chicken breast about 31g and a portion of salmon about 20g.

But the scientists say half of the protein should come from non-animal sources, such as soybeans, lentils, beans, chickpeas, or nuts.

The scientists found that during menopause women are more at risk of health conditions such as Type 2 diabetes, heart disease and cancer caused by a drop in oestrogen production.

Data from the study, published in the journal Nutrients, found weight gain and hot flushes are the first menopausal symptoms to emerge.

The sex hormone oestrogen made by women is key in ovulation and menstruation, but it also plays a role in regulating metabolism and fat distribution, which leads to weight gain in up to 70 per cent of menopausal women, the scientists say.

“With age, metabolism naturally slows down, the body burning fewer calories at rest,” said study author Dr Erzsébet Pálfi at Semmelweis University.

“The decline in oestrogen during menopause can further contribute to a decrease in metabolic rate, making it easier to gain weight.”

Diet key to reducing symptoms

A healthy diet is key to offset the hormonal shift , she said, but so is ensuring a calorie deficit to prevent weight gain.

“The recommended weight loss rate is about 0.5–1kg/week, primarily from fat while preserving muscle mass.

“This typically translates to reducing daily calorie intake by 15–30 per cent and consuming around 25 kcal/kg of body weight per day.”

Losing 5kg of body weight can make hot flushes 30 per cent more bearable, data show.

Eating plenty of protein is a good way to preserve muscle mass while also allowing a person to eat the right amount of calories to lose weight.

Other dietary recommendations for a menopausal woman include eating five portions of fruit and vegetables a day, drinking plenty of water (33ml per kilogram of body weight), having one meat-free meal a week, drinking half a litre of milk a day, and consuming no more than 500 grams of red meat a week.

The study also found that women should aim for at least seven hours of sleep during menopause to reduce the risk of health conditions.

Foods high in tryptophan - a chemical that becomes melatonin, which helps sleep - are recommended, such as cherries, cheese, fish and sesame seeds.

Sleep pattern and water consumption also important

The scientists also say women should have dinner at least two hours before bedtime and avoid drinking too much water at this time as it can lead to disturbed sleep.

“Regular exercise also supports metabolic health and can lessen the severity of hot flushes,” added Alíz Erdélyi, study first author from Semmelweis and also secretary general of the Hungarian Dietetic Association.

“During the transformational years, several changes can occur in the female body – of which weight gain and hot flushes might be the most apparent ones, but they can bring more risks if not kept under control.”

Writing in the study, the scientists say that menopause has an increased risk of obesity, metabolic syndrome, cardiovascular diseases, and osteoporosis.

“These diseases, which are characteristic of this period in women, can be significantly improved by eliminating and reducing dietary risk factors,” they say.

“In summary, during the period of perimenopause and menopause, many lifestyle factors can reduce the risk of developing all the diseases (cardiovascular disease, insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes mellitus, osteoporosis, and tumours) and symptoms characteristic of this period.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...in-hot-flushes/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-24, 22:54

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I happened to start Protein Power before heading into menopause and never had any symptoms. Two of my co-workers who believed in 6+ minimeals of 65% carbs, including lots of bread & donuts, had lots of symptoms, especially hot flashes. I don't think our differences were a coincidence.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-24, 07:46

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
An egg contains about 13g of protein, a chicken breast about 31g and a portion of salmon about 20g.

Please tell me this is a typo! That would need to be one HUGE egg to have 13 g protein, since a large egg only has 7 g protein.

How much protein the chicken breast and the "portion of salmon" have - well, it depends on the size of the chicken breast and portion of salmon.

In general, animal sources of protein (meats, eggs, cheese) have an average of 6-7 grams of protein per oz. (Milk, cream, and cream cheese are notable exceptions, with significantly smaller amounts per oz)
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-24, 08:06

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
Please tell me this is a typo! That would need to be one HUGE egg to have 13 g protein, since a large egg only has 7 g protein.

How much protein the chicken breast and the "portion of salmon" have - well, it depends on the size of the chicken breast and portion of salmon.

In general, animal sources of protein (meats, eggs, cheese) have an average of 6-7 grams of protein per oz. (Milk, cream, and cream cheese are notable exceptions, with significantly smaller amounts per oz)

I agree. Must be an ostrich egg . . .
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-24, 08:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

"1–1.2g of protein per kilogram of body mass, a rule of thumb used by gym-goers to help them maintain and build muscle". Umm, no. The weight lifters I follow, including women like Dr Lyon, consume 2.2g per kg of protein, minimum. Or 1g per pound ideal body weight. And what Calianna said…my 6 oz portion of salmon has 40 g of protein. There is so much weirdness in this article, I liked "Losing 5kg of body weight can make hot flushes 30 per cent more bearable, data show." How does one calculate bearable?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-24, 09:38

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
"1–1.2g of protein per kilogram of body mass, a rule of thumb used by gym-goers to help them maintain and build muscle". Umm, no. The weight lifters I follow, including women like Dr Lyon, consume 2.2g per kg of protein, minimum. Or 1g per pound ideal body weight. And what Calianna said…my 6 oz portion of salmon has 40 g of protein. There is so much weirdness in this article, I liked "Losing 5kg of body weight can make hot flushes 30 per cent more bearable, data show." How does one calculate bearable?

I don't know what they mean by "bearable" either. Hot flashes can range from a minute of suddenly feeling a little too warm a few times a week to sweating profusely for 30 minutes or more multiple times daily (and nightly). They're all "bearable" when you have no choice but to "bear" them in the midst of a hot flash.

So all of what you said, and these little gems too:

Quote:
The scientists also say women should have dinner at least two hours before bedtime and avoid drinking too much water at this time as it can lead to disturbed sleep.

If you're having a hot flash in the middle of the night, your sleep is already being disturbed - might as well run to the bathroom, since you're wide awake anyway.

Quote:
The study also found that women should aim for at least seven hours of sleep during menopause to reduce the risk of health conditions.

I can't recall ever "aiming" for less than 7 hours of sleep - doesn't mean I got a full 7 hours of sleep on any kind of regular basis.

The whole article is full of silliness - half your protein from non animal sources, no more than 500 g of red meat weekly, at least one meat-free meal weekly, cutting your calories to 25 cals/kg of body weight to lose 1/2 to 1 kg (2.2 lbs) weekly (and how about those who are already eating well under 1200 cals or less daily because they've done dozens of low cal diets over the years, and still can't lose weight, hmm?), and on and on and on.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-24, 20:00

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Plant proteins in grains & legumes cause inflammation in many people and are not 100% bioavailable. And older women need more protein, not less, to keep up their strength & mobility. I aim for at least 80% of my protein to come from animal sources.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-24, 06:15

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
But the scientists say half of the protein should come from non-animal sources, such as soybeans, lentils, beans, chickpeas, or nuts.

Yup. They are trying to kill me.

But then, when I first started wrestling with the menopause monster, caused by an incompetent doctor, I manage to hang in there until I could get bio-identical estrogen. I still take it (in amounts sufficient to suppress symptoms: standard of care) but before that I stayed alive by using pregnenolone, a la Ray Peat.

But how many people can wade through backpages of search results and have a good track record for evaluation. How many even consider that there is more than one way to "eat healthy" as long as it is based on what the food can do for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I happened to start Protein Power before heading into menopause and never had any symptoms. Two of my co-workers who believed in 6+ minimeals of 65% carbs, including lots of bread & donuts, had lots of symptoms, especially hot flashes. I don't think our differences were a coincidence.

Nor do I. A healthier body is going to cope with everything better. And while fat is my fuel, protein really IS the building blocks of the body. Which is likely why the body has a switch to keep us eating until we get all of our protein.

Shooting for 125 a day has been greatly beneficial, for years now. It's about there that my cravings ease off.