Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#301   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 05:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 258.4/241.4/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 25%

This is a great thread about salt! I'm not really experiencing too many symptoms after 2 days on LC except for the big D lol. I'm chalking a lot of that up to the massive amounts of water I'm injesting but maybe I need to add salt.

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is the use of salt pills? I remember in high school football coach used to almost force us to take salt pills after practice. Just a quick Google I found some salt pills from Wally World that contained about 450 milligrams. A person would only need to take about 10 a day to get to the recommended 5 gram amount. I remember them being quite small when I took them in high school but not sure of the size now.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/th...0e-a97b088d0a5e

Any thoughts on salt pills?
Sponsored Links
  #302   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 05:54

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Those have some sugar and starch in them:
Ingredients....Cellulose , Dextrose , Calcium Carbonate , Sodium Starch Glycolate , Stearic Acid

Probably wrote this before in this long thread, but Himalayan pink salt actually "tastes" good to me..different than processed stuff in a blue container. Hard to describe, but able to lick it off hand or add to a glass of water without gagging, and it supposedly has other minerals.

Quote:
Himalayan salt is widely touted for its mineral content, containing 84 minerals in total. In addition to sodium, Himalayan salt is relatively high in iron, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, potassium and chloride. It also contains traces of boron, fluoride, iodine, zinc, selenium and copper, all of which are necessary for bodily health. As a naturally occurring salt, Himalayan salt contains all these minerals without chemical processing or refinement.
  #303   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 06:11
Registered Member

BF:

Janet...before I waste my time doing a bunch of internet searching do you think there are any salt pills available that don't have the added junk?
  #304   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 06:16
Registered Member

BF:

Hey! Check these out! And they are 1 gram each...

http://www.vitalitymedical.com/sodi...ZhwPBoChjXw_wcB
  #305   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 23:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

Re Himalayan pink salt tasting good -- I have the same response to Maldon salt, I can chew a bit without getting a bad reaction, it tastes like food to me.
  #306   ^
Old Sat, Feb-13-16, 19:15

Plan: LCHF and OMAD
Stats: 298.4/187.6/145 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 72%

For the past few days, I have been having muscle cramps and headaches. I know it wasn't potassium or magnesium because I have been supplementing those.

Then I came across this thread. This morning, I drank a cup of beef broth and then had one before supper and I am feeling so much better. Muscle aches are gone and the headache is a very very dull ache at the back of my head.

I was always leery of eating too much salt, now I know that I have to adjust another eating lesson I have been taught.

NancyLC, thank you for all the great advice that you so selflessly give. It is much appreciated.
  #307   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 04:52

There are many fans here of using the original Atkins book, but that does not have new advice now incorporated into the program, such as the 2 c of broth added in 2010. Or to quote the Duke clinic program,
Quote:
Bouillon: Occasionally, people can experience fatigue, headaches, body aches, difficulty concentrating, or other flu-like symptoms when they stop eating carbohydrates. These symptoms are usually fairly mild and pass quickly; they are a sign that your body is going through a transition period from burning carbohydrates to burning fat for fuel. To help prevent these symptoms, we recommend drinking beef or chicken broth one to three times a day. Do not use bouillon if you have high blood pressure or heart failure. To make the broth, drop a cube of bouillon into a cup of hot water and drink it. Although your energy levels will soon return to normal, many patients have reported they enjoy the broth and continue drinking it beyond the first week.

Bouillon is a fast delivery system for sodium, and I continue to use it as a snack 5 years later. Bloodwork almost always shows my sodium level a point or 2 below the "normal range" for people eating a standard diet, as LC is diuretic by its nature.

Added, this is currently on the Atkins website:

Quote:
Shifting over to fat metabolism and creating ketones, has a diuretic effect on your kidneys. This means they speed up the amount of salt and water they get rid of. Overall, that's a good thing, because you will feel less bloated. Those with high blood pressure often see their numbers come down nicely in the first few days or weeks. However, for many people this can be too much of a good thing. Particularly if you weren't bloated or have high blood pressure to begin with. The good news is that this is a cheap and easy problem to manage – all it takes is ample water intake and a cup or two of broth each day. This broth, which you can make for yourself at home or from bouillon cubes, keeps your circulation primed and ready for action despite the extra fluid and salt being released by your kidneys. Master this process from the beginning and you'll avoid headaches, dizziness, fatigue, weak legs, and/or constipation. If any of these symptoms do occur, ask yourself, "Have I had a cup of bouillon within the last 6 hours?" Most often you will find the answer is no, and when you make this your routine, these side effects will disappear.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Feb-14-16 at 05:01.
  #308   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 12:51

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwaterboy
Any thoughts on salt pills?
I just use a mixture of potassium salt and sea salt or regular table salt (and take magnesium in pill-form at night). Salt is cheaper than pills. You can buy "half salt" pre-mixed, but it is cheaper to make your own. 5g is 1 tsp a day. At the beginning, to get used to how much salt to add to things I had a little vial to make sure I got the full amount every day. I even add a sprinkle to coffee, tea, lemon juice with water on days that I'm getting a lot of physical activity. It is a cheap and additive-free alternative to gatoraide. Or just sprinkle it in my mouth and follow with some water.
  #309   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-16, 21:04

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I find I need the salt for sure.

Out of curiosity, what do people who have high blood pressure, and aren't supposed to have salt, do on the WOE?
  #310   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-16, 21:08

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Not everyone who has high blood pressure is sensitive to salt; in fact the majority (perhaps as high as 85%) are not. The best way to see if you are sensitive is to gradually increase salt intake and check blood pressure to see what happens. Those of African American descent tend to be more sensitive to salt with regard to blood pressure.
  #311   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-16, 22:48

Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
Do you take magnesium? Or how about an electrolyte formula such as this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...034578ZJNBZRF8V

FYI: No longer suitable for low-carb diets
ByConsume!!!on January 18, 2016

Was using as a supplement to stop leg cramps, but the product was recently reformulated and now has 3g carb per packet. Needless to say, anyone on a carbohydrate restricted /cyclic ketogenic diet should look elsewhere or roll their own.

I realize that companies cannot keep everyone happy, but there was no notification whatsoever about this change on the box or in the product description on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/EMERGEN-C-ELE...howViewpoints=0
  #312   ^
Old Tue, May-24-16, 07:21

Some scary reasons to be sure you eat enough salt. This is not just about breast cancer.

http://colinchamp.com/breast-cancer-and-salt/

Breast Cancer and Salt – Can Reducing Salt Increase our Risk? by Colin Champ, M.D.

Quote:
There is little to no data on a connection between breast cancer and salt. Sugar, on the other hand, has been shown to be associated with breast cancer, and in my recent posts (here and here) I have been keying in on the role of sugar and breast cancer for several reasons. Firstly, many patients are curious about this link and it is one of the most common questions that I am asked by patients regarding diet and cancer. Secondly, as more and more studies reveal the role that sugar and blood glucose play in cancer initiation and progression, we need to pin down optimal dietary changes to reduce this risk. The silver lining is that if simple lifestyle and dietary changes can actually help us to avoid cancer, this is powerful news.

However, a recent study on the effects of salt caught my eye. While studies on the connection of salt and breast cancer are limited, these data may reveal some connections and raise some questions. Could a low salt diet increase the risk for breast cancer?

Breast Cancer and Salt – The Study
In this study, 152 healthy men and women were placed on a low salt diet. A key here is that these were healthy individuals with no known medical issues, yet they were placed on a low salt diet per many modern dietary recommendations. After seven days, a plethora of studies were performed on the participants to see the effect of the dietary change.

Norepinephrine, our stress hormone, was increased from the salt restriction as the unwanted stress appeared to activate these participants’ renin-angiotensin-aldosterone and sympathetic nervous systems, or more simply, the “fight or flight” response. More worrisome was the insulin resistance that they experienced from the low salt diet.1 These participants required more insulin to lower their blood sugar than before starting the low salt diet. A further study by the same group also revealed that a low salt diet raised both insulin and blood sugar levels.2

Insulin is a hormone secreted from the pancreas to lower the amount of sugar in our blood. If blood sugar becomes too high, insulin shuttles some of the sugar into our cells as high blood sugar can be fatal. High blood sugar3 and high insulin levels4 have been found to be associated with elevated breast cancer risks and worse outcomes after treatment for breast cancer. Based on this study, a low salt diet in healthy individuals increases both. Such findings are certainly worrisome.

Breast Cancer and Salt– The Takeaways
I dedicated an entire chapter of my book, Misguided Medicine, to debunking the myths of the effect of salt and our health. As you will read throughout the chapter, not only have many studies shown no benefit from lowering salt intake, but many large studies have shown significant harm. Insulin resistance and raising blood sugar levels only adds to this harm and may connect breast cancer and salt restriction.

Furthermore, if we consume a lower carbohydrate diet, we actually may need to eat more salt as insulin – secreted to lower blood sugar – acts on the kidneys to retain sodium. When synthesizing this information, it becomes clear that the data on a low salt diet is shaky at best and dangerous at worst.

This is certainly not a green light to eat processed foods. However, when a diet consists of real whole foods and a reasonable amount of carbohydrates (i.e. much lower than the food pyramid and most modern health sources would recommend) we actually need more salt to support our cardiovascular and nervous system, while supporting healthy metabolism.

#313   ^
Old Tue, May-24-16, 10:30

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Norepinephrine, our stress hormone, was increased from the salt restriction as the unwanted stress appeared to activate these participants’ renin-angiotensin-aldosterone and sympathetic nervous systems, or more simply, the “fight or flight” response. More worrisome was the insulin resistance that they experienced from the low salt diet.1 These participants required more insulin to lower their blood sugar than before starting the low salt diet. A further study by the same group also revealed that a low salt diet raised both insulin and blood sugar levels.2

This part was incredibly important to me as I deal with a severe adrenal dysfunction.

I have invested in a big bag of pink sea salt which tastes marvy!
  #314   ^
Old Tue, May-24-16, 11:15

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Amazingly consistent medical advice on nutrition that lumped salt in the saturated fat category as a health menace. Now we find that it's essential for our health and a properly functioning metabolism. We sometimes need to think that doing the opposite might be the way to go with much of this advice. Come to think of it, one of Dr. Fung's recent blog post stated the same.
  #315   ^
Old Tue, May-24-16, 11:22
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Amazingly consistent medical advice on nutrition that lumped salt in the saturated fat category as a health menace. Now we find that it's essential for our health and a properly functioning metabolism. We sometimes need to think that doing the opposite might be the way to go with much of this advice. Come to think of it, one of Dr. Fung's recent blog post stated the same.

My thoughts exactly. How can the supposed 'smartest' people among us get it so wrong so often. Maybe they should just toss a coin when deciding what is healthy and what is not. At least then they'd get it right half the time.