Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-05, 17:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 162/136/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default just bought coco nut oil

I just bough some cocoa nut oil from GNC, not really sure of the brand but it says pure organic virgin cocoa nut oil, no hydrogenated oils or anything so I'm gonna cook my eggs in it tomorrow morning. I tried a little bit today and it tasted pretty good. I froze a tbs of it to try later b/c I heard it's good that way. Hopefully this will work. I guess people use it as a conditioner for their skin too?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-05, 18:06

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 96/115/105 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 211%

libra
ive been reading up on some topics here and there recently about coconut oil, ive read more good than not but very interested in how you find it to be working.

Let us know.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-05, 19:24

Plan: Atkins/Callanetics
Stats: 168/157/110 Female 5'2"
BF:Sz16/sz14/sz6
Progress: 19%
Default What kind of oil?

Did you get cocoa nut oil? As in from cocoa beans?

Or did you get coconut oil, which is from coconuts?

I'm confused.......
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-05, 19:56

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 153/150/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

I've been using coconut oil for about four weeks now, and really enjoy it. I use it for almost all cooking, and have a Tbsp in my green tea in the morning. And although I've been eating nearly 3000 cals a day, I still lost a pound this month. It is supposed to have antimicrobial benefits, and I'm a believer after I injured my finger badly last week, and the healing has been phenomenal!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-05, 19:59

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 240/224/199 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 39%

I've had some for about a week now. It's pretty tasty. I just put some in a shake and suck it down. I tried it plain and it was just too much like drinking oil (which I've done in the past while doing a liver cleanse...yuk) but at least it tastes good. I have Garden of Life brand...and I don't think I've lost any pounds, but perhaps inches. I've put this stuff everywhere...they say it's pretty good for skin, hair, etc...
Have fun with it!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-11-05, 06:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Was it expensive at GNC?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-11-05, 07:32
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

vitacost.com Has Garden of Life, extra virgin organic coconut oil on sale for $8.77 per 16 fluid ounces, I just ordered 2

Debbie
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-05, 19:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 162/136/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

no, it was about $12 and I think it'll last quite awhile.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-05, 21:21

I finally bought some coconut oil, and I'm kind of disappointed because it tastes pretty awful to me! Although it has a slight hint of coconut, it also has another type of taste that's hard to describe- it's sort of like soap! I bought it at a health food store and it's called Spectrum Naturals Organic Coconut Oil. It says it's "expeller pressed" and "unrefined". I went to the web site and of course they say they that the way they process it is the best way to process it, etc.! It's kind of a milky color and has tiny little gritty bits in it (not alot) that I guess are little bits of the actual coconut? It's in a glass jar, like a mayonaise jar and is like a thickish liquid- you can shake it up in the jar. There is no way you would want to spread this stuff on a low carb muffin, like I've heard other people say they do, and you definately wouldn't want to eat it straight! I'm hesitant to cook with it because of it's weird soapy flavor. I like coconut, so I was really looking forward to trying this, but this tastes so awful I can't imagine using it unless you really work to diguise it's taste.

So, did I get the wrong kind of stuff? I've read other coconut oil threads and everybody seems to talk about how good this stuff tastes, that I'm kind of confused!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-05, 22:20

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

For some reason I seem to recall an older post about coconut oil where people that bought Spectrum Naturals hated the taste, and how it was much different from the others...Maybe do a forum search on that brand and see what other posters have said? Maybe it's just the brand that is not very tasty...
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-05, 22:31

Stats: 128/117.5/110 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I love coconut oil, been using for about 6 weeks. First I tried GNC brand then I tried Vitamin World brand and love it. Vitamin World usually has it buy one get one half off so thats two 16 ozs for 18.00. GNC brand has no taste or smell. Vitamin World has a little smell (good) and tastes wonderful in my coffee and tea, adds sort of a nutty flavor. I love how it cooks eggs. There is a huge recipe thread at another popular low carb site and a check in, don't know if I am allowed to say the name here. Coconut oil suppresses my appetite and I have lost about 5 pounds.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-05, 22:35

Thanks for the suggestion! I found one post where the person said they used spectrum naturals but didn't mention anything about the taste, and one other person who said the coconut oil they used tasted awful, but they didn't mention the brand. I'm tempted to throw this stuff away because the taste is so weird, but if this is the way it is supposed to be, and it's such a healthy thing, maybe I just have to learn how to use it!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-05, 22:38

Do you guys have the little tiny gritty flecks in yours? Maybe I should try the GNC or Vitamin World ones. Mine cost about $7 for 14oz.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-05, 22:54
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I've tried several brands of coconut oil. Spectrum Naturals is the worst tasting--it can be nasty. I avoid it. Garden of Life is my favorite, although I also like the Tropical Traditions and Now brands.

Coconut oil melts at 76 F. So, depending upon the temperature in your house, it will be either liquid or solid.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-05, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC
I've tried several brands of coconut oil. Spectrum Naturals is the worst tasting--it can be nasty. I avoid it.

Ah ha! So that explains it! Well, at least I didn't spend way too much and go through the trouble and expense of having it shipped to me!