Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 14:42

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Question Carb Blockers...anyone Trying Them???

Hi all I'm wondering about CARB BLOCKERS....new on the market....has anyone used them??? Have they worked for you??? Thinking about using them myself...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 18:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/165/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

I just bought some but haven't tried them as I'm switching from Atkins over to PP - after 3 wks on Atkins I barely lost (keep gaining it back when I cheat - which is usually a protein bar)

I'll let you know how it goes
Lori
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 17:02

Stats: 226.5/193.0/185 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

Where can one find these carb blockers? Might be just the ticket for my day at the faire later this month!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 18:33

BF:
Progress:
Default I'm in Canada but many places in the US online (m)

Use google and type in carb blockers. Make sure you only get the blockers that have Phase 2 in them (that is the patent blend)

Yesterday I cheated a LOT and had a small eclair and a cupcake but that was it - was still doing Atkins as it is easier to follow. I was so surprised to find I hadn't gained!! WOO HOO!!

I'm still trying Atkins but will take a carb blocker if I decide to have a sandwich or something with a bit more carbs. Sure hope it works!

Good luck!

Lori
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 09:15

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

Hello . Excuse me for jumping in here but there are a couple of things I'd like to point out. Please bear in mind, this is my opinion only, but maybe (hopefully) it's worth considering...

First of all - This WOL is about improving your health (primarily), weight loss is secondary. Are you improving your health by taking a manufactured substance that causes the body to do something unnatural? If we were designed to "block carbs", there wouldn't be low-carbing to begin with...

Second - What is in this stuff and why does it work? Look at the problems with phen-phen, redux, ephedrine, etc. How many long-term studies have been done? Are they controlled studies? Does anyone know for certain what the effects are going to be to taking these?

Third - Since this is a Way Of LIFE, one of the purposes is to re-learn eating habits and eat more like paleolithic man. I'm sure there were no carb blockers centuries ago! Simply finding a way to "cheat" is not teaching you anything for the long-haul.

Fourth - The Eadeses strongly recommend that we learn to eat foods in their most natural states, and not rely on using processed foods. If we're trying to avoid processed foods, does that not also include manufactured substances that have no existence in nature?

Fifth - If there were any one "cure" for obesity - don't you think it would've been discovered long before now? There is no magic pill - not now, not before and most likely not in the future. Sorry, but that's the truth. You're neglecting accountability here. This is something you need to DO - not something that can (supposedly) be done for you. If you really want to improve your health and lose weight, isn't it worth a little effort on your behalf?

Ok - I won't go on now. Guess the upshot of this post I would run like crazy from the things ! Follow the program as it's written and it will work. And you'll be much healthier for it!

Thank you for listening.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 15:15

Stats: 265/250/225 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress:

The carb blocker I took in the past was Kidney bean extract(? or some type of bean). I don't know if it really worked or not, but it's about as safe as eating beans. I would use the keto sticks as the litmus test if they work.....
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 16:06

BF:
Progress:
Default It's kidney beans

And it's all natural - no additives or preservatives - have you researched this product? It's widely touted as valuable, reliable and safe. It's not "Manufactured" as you put it.

I would not put something like that in my body and if I fall of the wagon it's nice to know that I can prevent some of the damage I"m doing by blocking some carbs. After all aren't vitamins "manufactured" as well?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 16:30

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

No, loric1, I have not researched it as I have no interest in using the product . Sorry I offended you - I will happily bow out of this thread now. As I said, those were just some thoughts I had. Good luck .
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 17:27

Thumbs up Just A Healthy Discussion...lol

Well Shadow I started the thread because I saw them in a magazine and had never heard of them... Thought this was the place to ask anyone if they had tried them and the results.... The product is natural and made from white beans... In the Woman's World magazine there were several woman who had lost weight very well...they even recommended specific ones... As loric suggested they recommend the Phase II one's... One of the individuals who lost the weight had been on them in a trial and later found them in the store and used them to lose the rest of her weight...

I have never taken any harmful products other than prescription drugs and vitamin/herbal supplements...and would not take anything like that...

I'm still looking for other peoples experiences...I purchased Natrol's carb blocker as it was one of those recommended... I'll let everyone know whether I have any success too...

Thanks....and HAVE A NICE DAY...
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 17:37

BF:
Progress:

Shadow no offence taken Thanks for giving your opinion
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 19:36

BF:

I purchased Carb Cutter today at the local health store. It is made from extract of white kidney beans, each tablet has 300mg of Phaseolamin. The directions say to take one before each of two meals per day, a bit contrary to other brands I have been reading about. I am wondering if I should take two before each meal, anyone have a suggestion. This brand also contains chromium and vanadium, along with some other vitamins. I have stopped taking the supplements of those included in this blocker so not to overdose on anything. I do take a good powdered multi every morning along with calcium, magnesium and potassium.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 15:22

Thumbs up Take As Directed...

Well I would take them as directed....I'm not sure about the other nutrients but don't think they would hurt...

Let us know if you feel they have worked or not...
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 18:58

BF:

I will continue eating as I have been just to see if there is a difference. Should see something by this weekend I would think.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 18:13

Stats: 237/189/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress:

Greetings and Howdie.

I'm a newbie here on the forum, and I've generally enjoyed myself browsing the posts and learning from everyone's experiences. Thank you all for taking the time to share your wisdom and insight.

I have to echo most of what Shadow said in an earlier thread, with a few qualifications...

I've tried the carb blockers on several occasions for the past couple of months. I'm not monitoring with Keto sticks, but I'm using the primitive guess-guage: the scales. I believe they work, when used as directed.

Now, my take on the principal behind it:

They are not intended to be a fix-all or substitute for a change or habit and lifestyle. I'm frankly afraid of abusing them for that very reason -- that I might relapse or lose some of the good habits I've gained.

I only pop the blockers on a rare occasion when the wife and I want to go out and enjoy a steak AND potato or a nice chimichanga, etc. I don't see it as binging, but more as a way to sneak a treat occasionally, but still keeping the regimen going. I do not see it as a way of "introducing" certain foods back into my menu on a longterm basis.

Anyway, the jury's still out, and in fact, my search for others' results is what lead me to this thread in the first place, so I'm still learning and trying...

Good luck to all.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 06:50

BF:

Here is the result of my cheat day. Low carb breakfast as always, small meat on a stick for lunch at the faire that totaled perhaps two ounces, small dish of free/no sugar added ice cream mid-afternoon, broiled fish marinara with a small side dish of ziti for dinner. Start weight 202, new weight today 204.5, and all this while spending the day walking the fairgrounds. I doubled the dose of carb blocker for dinner and had one prior to the ice cream.

In my opinion, either the blocker does not work or I do not have the proper kind. I really don't feel I went that far overboard, in fact did not expect to see much of a change this morning.