Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-21-07, 01:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 455/224/200 Male 6-3
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Ha Si Kil Pac (Sikil Pac)

Something I'm anxious to try - not the lowest of low carbs, but ok as long as you don't over-indulge. I'm going to serve it with celery (with pork rinds when/if I go back to meat):

Ha Si Kil Pac
By Rick Bayless

1 cup of hulled pumpkinseeds
3 ripe plum tomatoes
1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 habanero chile, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
The juice of 1 lime (or 1/2 sour orange)
Salt

Toast and grind the pumpkinseeds. Measure the seeds into a small saucepan or skillet, set over medium heat and, when the first one pops, stir constantly until all have popped from flat to round, about 5 minutes. Don’t let them darken past golden or the dip will taste bitter. Pour into a food processor, let cool, then grind to as smooth a paste as possible, scraping down the sides several times to ensure even grinding.

Roast the tomatoes. Spread the tomatoes on a baking sheet and place 4 inches below a very hot broiler. Roast until splotchy-black and thoroughly soft, about 6 minutes per side. Cool. Peel and chop into 1/4-inch pieces.

Finish the dip. In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkinseeds, tomatoes, onion, cilantro and half of the chile. Stir in enough lime (or sour orange) juice to give the mixture a dip-like consistency. Taste and season with salt (usually about a scant teaspoon) and more habanero if you wish.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-22-07, 14:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 455/224/200 Male 6-3
BF:
Progress: 91%

The recipe rocks! It was a big hit last nite at movie nite, with my veggie friends!

I added:

A splash of olive oil
4 cloves of garlic

Yummy! So delicious, and healthy!