Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, May-24-19, 20:14

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisK
I test every day and the highest it has run is 20 points over. Is that a lot?

I'm guessing you are in the US and this is mg/dl? Normal values are 70 - 130mg/dl (3.9 - 7.1mmol/L). What are your levels prior to eating and after eating?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, May-26-19, 07:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/192/150 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress:

I started Metformin yesterday. I have a friend who has been on it for twenty years and just had the impression that once on, never off. But I am learning that is not necessarily the case. My primary gave me a prescription for Belsomra, a sleeping pill. I only took half the first two nights and slept well, took another half last night and got a whopping three hours. That is common with my history of using sleep aids. Will try the melatonin in the night when I wake up and see what happens. My primary gave me a list previous sleeping pills I have tried to take to my sleep doctor. Since I have been seeing her in 2011, I have tried nine different medications.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, May-26-19, 07:11

BF:
Progress:

Another question - has anybody ever heard of the method of blood draw/removal of the tubing affects A1C results? My sister-in-law states she has heard from two different doctors that if the tubing is not removed as soon as the blood hits the tube, results can be skewed. That all sounds skewed to me, but thought I'd throw it out there.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, May-26-19, 07:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Another question - has anybody ever heard of the method of blood draw/removal of the tubing affects A1C results? My sister-in-law states she has heard from two different doctors that if the tubing is not removed as soon as the blood hits the tube, results can be skewed. That all sounds skewed to me, but thought I'd throw it out there.
That's a new one on me...Never heard of that but there are some health practioners who consider A1c not reliable due to the length of red blood cell lifespan. So another reason to take frequent fasting and post-meal blood glucose readings to get a handle on how your BS reacts to your foods. Also consider your overall health before taking medications. Having a Fasting Insulin reading is an important indicator too, though not many doctors give that test.

https://chriskresser.com/why-hemogl...eliable-marker/

A New DietDoctor guide on the Signs and Symptoms of Diabetes:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes/symptoms

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, May-26-19 at 09:11.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, May-26-19, 20:53

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

Quote:

If the blood is not drawn correctly i.e. needle too small, it can damage the red blood cells giving a false reading. However, it is very obvious to the pathologist that this has occurred and you would be called back to be retested. As far as I know the only likely false increases in A1C are in people with various Anemia conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Having a Fasting Insulin reading is an important indicator too, though not many doctors give that test

This is the standard test used in Australia - We don't often see A1C being used in diagnosis....
  #21   ^
Old Thu, May-30-19, 03:59

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Even though I've lost my extra fat, my apneas continue, and I'm concentrating lots of effort into learning what I can do for myself and when I'll need to fold the doctors into the recipe. (Due to Medicare, my condition has been ignored.)
I highly recommend two books on sleep. From best to second best:

Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams, by Matthew Walker (2017)

and

Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival, by by T.S. Wiley, Bent Formby (2000).

Essential reading.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, May-30-19, 05:50

Quote:
I started Metformin yesterday. I have a friend who has been on it for twenty years and just had the impression that once on, never off. But I am learning that is not necessarily the case. My primary gave me a prescription for Belsomra, a sleeping pill. I only took half the first two nights and slept well, took another half last night and got a whopping three hours. That is common with my history of using sleep aids. Will try the melatonin in the night when I wake up and see what happens. My primary gave me a list previous sleeping pills I have tried to take to my sleep doctor. Since I have been seeing her in 2011, I have tried nine different medications.

Good Morning Phyllis, how have you been feeling since both starting the Metformin and on a new sleeping pill?
  #23   ^
Old Fri, May-31-19, 20:27

BF:
Progress:

No gastric effects from the Metformin, yet anyway, and I expect that to continue. Sleeping pills not very effective. I’m going to take them for another week and if no luck, will call my sleep doctor to see if he has any ideas. Thank you for following up.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-19, 04:47

That's good news, likely started with a low dose. Let us know if we can make suggestions for foods that help keep your pre and post-meal blood sugars low and stable.