Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-21-07, 06:11

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Weight Training Buddies

I thought that it might be fun to have a thread for those of us who enjoy weight lifting/resistance training. I think that there are a quite few of us here on the forum, and it would be great to for us to get together to discuss lifting and all things related and also to offer/receive advice, encouragement, help and support etc., or just to chat.

It would also be interesting to find out about the different routines we all follow, what works, what doesn’t, how we think we can improve.

It doesn’t matter whether you’re a complete newbie or a seasoned body builder, I’m sure that everyone will have something positive to contribute to the mix.

As for me, I still consider myself a newbie in body building terms, as I only began lifting about 18 months ago. I’ve also recently had quite a long lay off due to a shoulder injury. However, I’m now back and loving it.

I originally started off by following the workouts in the Body Sculpting Bible for Women and also by reading Krista’s fabulous Women’s Weight Training site at stumptuous.com. Both really helped me in terms of learning the correct form, and also encouraged me to think that heavy weights are not just for the boys!

I’ve just got myself a copy of Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove’s New Rules of Lifting, and I’m planning on using it to devise a more serious training programme now that my shoulder is better.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-21-07, 06:36

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hey Demi. I think this is a great idea.

I didn't have time to go into my background in weight training this morning. So I'm editing now to say a few things.
I'm 51 years old. Started weight training around 1986 at age 31 after my second child was born. I started out as an aerobics instructor, and became interested in weights since I was in a gym. I practically wore out Rachel McLish's bodybuilding book. That's where I learned the basics. My first husband was killed in 1988, I remarried in 1991, moved and eventually stopped weight training....until I think it was 2004.
After I had let myself go and was fat and miserable. I had started lowcarbing and was encouraged by the weight I had lost. So....I got back into it and found the passion and love I had for it before. I don't intend to ever stop again. Now....I need it for my mental health as well as my physical health.
This time I work out in my basement. I didn't think I'd ever be able to weight train at home....but now I LOVE it.

I'm doing my first cut now. I'm journaling this experience in my gym log. I'm only 1 week into it....but so far, so good.
So that's the "highlights" of my background in weight training.

Last edited by galatia : Sun, Jan-21-07 at 09:47.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-22-07, 15:51

BF:

Hi galatia ~ thanks for stopping by and taking part It's really nice to see you here because you're definitely one of my weight lifting hero's Your muscle definition is fabulous

I wish that I'd discovered weight training when I was younger. I'm 47 now, but I suppose that it's better than never having started at all!

Totally understand what you're saying about the mental as well as physical health. I find that I tend to get 'jittery' if I miss a workout.

I currently workout at my company gym, which is very small but meets my needs. I'm also in the process of putting together a home gym ... mainly so that I can do more at the weekends rather than just going for long walks with my dog.

Quote:
I'm doing my first cut now

Are you following a particular programme?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 03:07

BF:

Hi Demi. Thanks so much for the very nice compliment.

How did you hurt your shoulder? I injured mine many months ago and I had to baby it for months before it was better. Not fun.

Quote:

but I suppose that it's better than never having started at all!

I've been helping my 79 year old mother with some weight training. It's never too late.

Quote:

I find that I tend to get 'jittery' if I miss a workout.

Oh yes....it becomes quite an addiction. I'd be miserable if it were taken from me.

Oh....you'll love having your home gym. What all will you have in it?
What inspired you to start weight training? Do you have a work-out partner at the company gym? I've had some great work-out partners in my past...but not having one is good too. It's all up to me what I do, when, etc. That's pretty nice.

What kind of dog do you have?

Quote:
Are you following a particular programme?
I'm on another forum that's more geared to bodybuilding, and I've gotten help there with my meal planning and exercise routine. The weight training is push/pull 4 times a week. The meal plan is carb/calorie cycling. I've been doing this style of weight training for some time now....the eating and cardio are the big changes. And they are a work in progress.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 15:30

BF:

Quote:
How did you hurt your shoulder? I injured mine many months ago and I had to baby it for months before it was better. Not fun.

My physio thinks it was originally caused because of the way I was sitting at my computer, and it became aggravated due to the weight training. It took a while to repair the damage, but it's fine now and I try and do the shoulder exercises that the physio showed me at least a couple of times a week.

Quote:
Oh....you'll love having your home gym. What all will you have in it?

So far, I've got a set of dumbbells and a barbell with various weights, a rebounder and a fitness ball. I'm planning on getting a bench in the next week or so, and may also get an elliptical.

Any suggestions as to what I should get, would be much appreciated

Quote:
What inspired you to start weight training? Do you have a work-out partner at the company gym? I've had some great work-out partners in my past...but not having one is good too.

I first thought about it after reading Protein Power, where the Eades' pointed out that the best exercise of all was to lift weights, and The X-Factor Diet by Leslie Kenton. I particularly liked Leslie's description of how it could help you to obtain a lean, sleek body. Up until then, I'd spent most of my time during cardio, and getting nowhere. So I started doing a bit more reading on the subject, got myself a copy of The Body Sculpting Bible for women, and off I went.

I don't actually have a work-out partner as such at my gym. There are several men who also weight train and are very often there when I am, and we will sometimes chat and help each other. What is noticeable though is that I am the only female who does lift weights ... the rest tend to stick to the treadmill or the stairmaster

Quote:
What kind of dog do you have?

I have a six-month old yellow lab. I've always had Danes before, so I've found it quite interesting to learn how different they are. I chose a lab this time because I've really got into powerwalking in the last year or so, and I wanted a dog that would walk with me. You have to be careful how much walking you do with a Dane, so I decided to get a breed that wouldn't have a problem in going for miles.

Quote:
I'm on another forum that's more geared to bodybuilding, and I've gotten help there with my meal planning and exercise routine. The weight training is push/pull 4 times a week. The meal plan is carb/calorie cycling. I've been doing this style of weight training for some time now....the eating and cardio are the big changes. And they are a work in progress.

Are you keeping a record of your progress here too? I'll have to check out your gym log and journal
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-07, 09:15

BF:

Quote:

So far, I've got a set of dumbbells and a barbell with various weights, a rebounder and a fitness ball. I'm planning on getting a bench in the next week or so, and may also get an elliptical.

Any suggestions as to what I should get, would be much appreciated

Sounds great. You can work everything with what you've got there. You can use your fitness ball as a bench for lots of things.

Quote:

I don't actually have a work-out partner as such at my gym. There are several men who also weight train and are very often there when I am, and we will sometimes chat and help each other. What is noticeable though is that I am the only female who does lift weights ... the rest tend to stick to the treadmill or the stairmaster
Yes, it's pretty evident most women find serious weight training to be something they have no interest in. And that's fine. Hard for those of us who think it's wonderful to understand, however. I've always thought muscles were like a work of art, and strength gives such a feeling of power and confidence. I'm only interested in what can be developed naturally however. I think women who look like men with make-up look WRONG! But women who develop their muscles naturally are very beautiful. I'm glad the standard for competitions are going back to more the Cory Everson look. At least I've heard that is the case.

Quote:
Are you keeping a record of your progress here too?
Yes, actually I'm doing more with talking myself through this in my gym log here than anywhere else. I ask questions there and give updates, but here is where I talk mindlessly about how I'm feeling and what I'm doing.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 12:40

BF:

Quote:
Yes, it's pretty evident most women find serious weight training to be something they have no interest in. And that's fine. Hard for those of us who think it's wonderful to understand, however.

Yes, I must admit that I do find it hard to understand. But I suppose that if we lead by example, then perhaps others will follow.

I had a fabulous compliment earlier this week ~ several people (female) have apparently joined the company gym because of me! They have noticed my changing shape, and the fact that I work out every day, and want to follow my example. Whether they want to follow my example by weight training as well, remains to be seen. But it would be great if they did.

Quote:
I've always thought muscles were like a work of art, and strength gives such a feeling of power and confidence. I'm only interested in what can be developed naturally however. I think women who look like men with make-up look WRONG! But women who develop their muscles naturally are very beautiful. I'm glad the standard for competitions are going back to more the Cory Everson look. At least I've heard that is the case.

I love your comment about thinking of muscles like a work of art, and I can definitely concur with the feeling of pwer and confidence. I love the feeling I get when I weight train ... especially upper body ... it's almost sensual feeling too. Hard to desvribe, but I'm sure you'll know what I mean

And yes, I feel the same about natural ... it does look beautiful ... lean, yet properly defined.

A bit of a cliche, but I always loved Linda Hamilton's look in Terminator 2 ~ that's what I'm aiming for.

I'm suffering from DOMS today after yesterday's LBWO. Walking is fine, and I was able to go for a 3 mile power walk at lunchtime. However, walking down the stairs and lowering myself onto a chair is proving to be painful. But I'm sure I'll get through it.

I've heard that taking ibrupofen (or the equivalent) to help with the pain is not a good idea, but I've no idea why. Does anyone have any idea?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-07, 09:26
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi there, mind if I join you? I really like this thread and am sorry I'm late arriving...but that's not unlike how I feel about strength training too!

Here is my story about strength training...it's a long one so I'm sorry about that...but I really believe in this topic and I have a lot to share...

I'm not sure where to start except to say that two years ago I was diagnosed with herniated discs in my neck and lower back...the chriopractor stood before me and asked how I wasn't in more pain. I have a good life attitude and illustrated that further by saying "so what do I need to do to avoid surgery?" The very next question was if I could join a local gym. The very next day I did.

[Please note my life before this consisted of martial arts in my mid-20s, then inactivity until 30ish, followed by lightweight cardio such as walking and water aerobics up until mid-30s. I was really in home workout mode at the time and always intimidated by gyms.]

I joined the gym and carefully began to explore the options there while getting treatments 3x/week and being taught specific stretching techniques. I was cautious through most of 2005 but did start to feel better and began to drop some weight through more activity, such as step aerobics and water aerobics. Because of my schedule, it was challenging to attend these classes, but I did my best and always tried to keep walking (something I've done for a long time even when I did nothing else). My long-term goal was always to replace the chiropractor with exercise and strengthening.

As I began to feel better and more confident, I started to explore the "express line" full-body circuit of machines that I'd been taught when I first started at the gym. It was 8 machines that cover upper and lower body. I had lost a good bit of weight by spring 2006 (down to 185) and was following a HC/LF diet and struggling with hunger. I was balancing cardio and strength, but being very tentative about it. And unfortunately in the summer, when we photographed 6 weddings in 8 weeks...I succumbed to stress eating and gained at least 10 pounds back.

After the summer I knew something had to change because I wasn't feeling "strong" at the gym (always felt hungry) and I wasn't feeling motivated to eat the foods I'd been trying to eat. I was craving fat and protein and I thought about years back when I did LCing. So by September, I was heading down a new path. (And yes, that's when I found this forum too!)

I slowly began to do more weight training (just that one area of machines I knew) and more cardio, including getting used to the elliptical. I also instinctively started to do intervals with that. I read "Eat Fat Get Thin" and began to transition...cutting out sugars and flours to start and really concentrating on eating the very things I was craving. (Isn't that ironic? Most people talk about craving carbs and I was just craving meat with fat!) It started to work and I was dropping weight and feeling much better.

By November I'd read Protein Power and found "THE" LC plan (for me, that is) and that's when I realized I needed to not just incorporate strength training into my workout but CONCENTRATE on it. I began to really push myself...challenging myself to do more and more weight. I also concentrated on strengthening my core muscles far more than before. And it all started coming together. Even though the scale didn't move, my body was reshaping. I felt like I'd finally hit my stride with diet and exercise.

As of January, I've gone a different direction with the strength training because of my personal trainer (Christmas gift). Now I'm using bands and the stability ball and free weights and my own body as resistance far more than I ever was. My abs are SO strong compared to before I am almost giddy. I'm actually doing push-ups (modified, I grant you, but it's still a big deal to me). And my trainer is pushing my balance and form, which has made my attempts at yoga MUCH better. I feel like I'm finally addressing my whole body, which feels wonderful. I'll work with him for another 8 weeks and after that I may revisit a different type of strength training, but for now I'm willing to see what he has in store for me.

As of today, I've just broken the 180 mark for the first time in...well, it must be over a decade at this point. That means 16 pounds down since September...as well as a whole different body shape.

Currently I commit to working out just 3x/week because I have such a hectic schedule. But that is my time and my investment in me, and I spend a couple hours at the gym when I go. As a matter of fact, I'm headed there today. And I'm excited to go! I'll warm-up, do lots of ab work, then resistance, and then cardio. I always end with a LOT of stretching. (I'm a big believer in that.)

I hope my story wasn't too long and boring, but as I said when I started, I really believe it it. It's been an amazing journey. I've transformed my body by concentrating on my muscles and believe that strength truly should be my focus.

And for the record, I go to the gym 3x/week but I only go to the chiropractor now once every 4-6 WEEKS as precaution for maintenance and assessment.

P.S. Women with good muscle definition are totally hot in my book! I want to be one of them! LOL

Last edited by lisaz8605 : Fri, Jan-26-07 at 10:25.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 08:08

BF:

Great to see you here Lisa

Quote:
I hope my story wasn't too long and boring, but as I said when I started, I really believe it it. It's been an amazing journey. I've transformed my body by concentrating on my muscles and believe that strength truly should be my focus.

Not at all ... it's always fascinating to read how and why everyone started off ... what got them to consider weight training in the first place.

And you're totally right about transforming your body with it. Although I've still got a long way to go to get the body I want (see my ref to Lind Hamilton above), I know that I've also come a long way from when I first started. I know that I've already posted this in your journal, but I thought that it might be interesting for others to read here too:

Quote:
Very often I find that the scales are not showing the true picture. In fact, most people think I weigh a hell of a lot less than I actually do. I put that down to the walking and weight training, along with the 'diet'.

A good illustration of this is the fact that I weighed around 190lbs the first time I started out on Atkins (in 2001). I wore a size 18 (US16). What with one thing or another, I put the weight back on and more. This time around I started South Beach at 215lbs and a size 18, and when I reach 190lbs in October I could fit into a 14 (US12). The difference? Well, I started exercising properly nearly 2 years ago ... and more importantly, I began weight training around 18 months ago.

Weight training has definitely transformed my body ... and I'm hoping to take it to another level this year.

According to the body fat scales at my gym, I have a BF% of around 32. My current goal is to get it down 163lbs, which according to my calculations would give me a BF% of about 20. Once I've done that, I'm hoping that I'll have the more lean and ripped look that I'm aiming to achieve. If not, then I plan to take it down a bit more, possibly between 15-18%.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 11:36
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Me too...me too!!!

I've just started with a trainer but can see the benefits already!!

I wanna be a hard body!!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 11:52

BF:

YAY! Welcome too Judy

I wanted to share something that I came across yesterday ... a bit of inspiration/motivation if you like ~ well, for me anyway.

It was this article in the Transformation of the Week (Woman) posted on Bodybuilding.com: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/transf92.htm.

What was so inspiring to me, is that Stacey's 'before' shape is rather as I am now ... especially the flabby legs and arms.

What it showed me, is that with some hard work on my part, there's no reason why I can't go through the same transformation myself. I just love the picture of her right at the bottom of the article, 'I love working my arms'. I will be very happy if I can look like that
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 12:08
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

That is awesome Demi!!

I tried to see how tall she is but couldn't find it. I wonder?

My oh my...shes done so well!!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 12:22
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Thanks for the welcome, Demi...and glad you're joining us, Judy!

I have more to post, but I'm scrambling today and will be out of town the next two days. I'll post again soon!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 18:19

BF:

Hi Lisa and Judy, glad you're joining us.

Demi, I was looking at those transformations on Bodybuiding.com today too! They are inspiring aren't they.

What's everyone's plans for the coming week? The biggest change I'll be making is adding more cardio. I do very little of it, but with this cut, I'll have to be doing more. Hopefully it will get the scales moving a little better. If not....I'll have to take another look at....my breaded chicken patty. But we won't talk of that for now.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 20:08
Taking MY Turn

BF:

I'm almost packed and ready to leave. I'll be out of town today and tomorrow so I'm meeting with my trainer on Tuesday (instead of Monday).

The best news I have is that DH gave the o.k. for me tp purchase more sessions with the trainer. I had 2 left and I recently bought 5 more (with a little discount) plus my trainer said he'd add in one for free. (I love this guy!) So that means we have 8 weeks together, which I think will be a wonderful learning experience for me.

He's already excited about how we'll spend the time. Right now he's concentrating on overall body and balance (using stability objects a lot, e.g., when doing flies or squat pulls I'm not on the floor but balancing on those...I don't know what to call them except puffy discs, LOL) He said over the course of our time he'll keep changing it up...a segment of more steady (less "wobbly" like I'm doing now) strength-oriented focus...and then also a segment with a more "explosive" feel. I know I've heard these terms and I'm figuring you'll know what I mean. Of course I'll share the details when we get to it.

I'm doing the weekly thing so that I can stretch out the time but still use it efficiently. We meet at the beginning of the week and he tests me and teaches me things. Then my job is to go back to the gym myself two more times that week and repeat everything I've learned. The concentration with him is strength/resistance and ab work, which has been incredible. (I swear I'm seeing hints of lines!) I do cardio on my own, which consists of treadmill and elliptical, influenced by my interest in HIIT. The biggest change I made is I do cardio 3x a week along with the resistance and ab work. I do think it's making a difference.

Thanks again for the welcome. I'll post again when I get back!