Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#616   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-12, 12:46

Plan: High protein/HIIT
Stats: 234/197/174 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 62%

You can always bundle up in the cold, but how to cool off when it's hot?
Sponsored Links
  #617   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-12, 20:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthian
Hey guys! I've been gone for the forum for a bit and from regular riding. Back to both.

The weather is gorgeous here in Phoenix right now, so I'm trying to ride a minimum of 8 miles a day. Pathetic, I know. I let myself go terribly but am back on track now.

Props to you Wheeler for riding in the cold. Dang! And I thought I had it bad here in Phx in the summer when temps don't drop below 95 nights.

I am so jealous of anyone where it is warm! A friend (or two) and I are going mountain biking tomorrow mid-day. We should have a whopping high temperature of about 32 degrees by then!

I love riding fall and through the winter as long as there in little snow and temps don't dip below 20 degrees. But I am really missing summer riding about now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler
You can always bundle up in the cold, but how to cool off when it's hot?

Keep moving! Or douse yourself with water and keep moving! A good sweat is one thing that makes any warm weather ride even better! Unless I am riding to work or some such thing, the whole idea is to sweat, workout, push your limits, ride hard, ride fast, have fun and get fit!

I'll take 1,000 warm, beautiful riding days over one cold weather day anytime.
  #618   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-12, 01:29

Plan: Atkins/Keto/Volek/Phinney
Stats: 153/144.6/125 Female 63.5 inches
BF:27.4%
Progress: 30%

*sigh* Guess I will not be running and biking for a while. I busted my right wrist yesterday. 102 miles on my month old mtn bike and now it gets garaged until Spring. I may join a little 24/7 gym in town once I can run. Roads may be too treacherous with snow and ice to risk a fall. And they have stationary recumbents. Boring! but I gotta stay in shape.
  #619   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-12, 07:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandidCam
*sigh* Guess I will not be running and biking for a while. I busted my right wrist yesterday. 102 miles on my month old mtn bike and now it gets garaged until Spring. I may join a little 24/7 gym in town once I can run. Roads may be too treacherous with snow and ice to risk a fall. And they have stationary recumbents. Boring! but I gotta stay in shape.

Keep active and your recovery will seem to go pretty fast.
  #620   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-12, 09:50

BF:

I used to run a team of dogs and ski in the winter. I took up biking when my joints went bad, so for me biking is so much more than my exercise. It's how I get out there and be in the mountains, see and feel the weather-- -it's how I still fell alive and happy. I tried an indoor bike in the winter, but I loathe it. Makes me feel like a hamster and I don't get all the other benefits. I may try getting back on my cross country skis this winter, I'm just so afraid of dislocating my hip again in a fall.

Sorry to hear about your wrist. Sucks to not be able to do stuff.
  #621   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-12, 18:36

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 297/251.8/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%

Wishing you a speedy recovery CandidCam.

Wow Wheeler! I am sooo jealous! running with a sled team is on my bucket list!
  #622   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-12, 17:37

BF:

Had a great 14 mile ride today. After weeks of below zero temps it is now 10 above. I ate a lot of potatoes yesterday and was wondering how my body reacts to burning them while being mostly fat adapted. Can it go into and out of ketosis easily? All I know is that I felt great on my ride, including a steep hill section.
  #623   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-12, 19:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 212/197/175 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Love biking! My wife and I own one car and I hardly ever use it, as I prefer to bike. I don't bike in the winter, because after having a bad wipe-out after hitting some ice I decided it wasn't worth it. Next year I'm fairly certain I'm going to be crossing Canada on my bike, and I can't wait.
  #624   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-12, 10:30

Got out mountain biking on Monday and am trying to align things to get out again today. It is sunny and mid 30's here but a whopper of a winter storm is a comn! I am thinking if I do not get out today I am done for the calendar year at least!
  #625   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-13, 21:34

Plan: restrict carbs
Stats: 210/170/160 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

hi. first time to this section (i think). i love to ride bikes. i do both road and mtn. i have a couple of good bikes that can last me the rest of my life. currently i prefer mtn bike but that is probably because i don't get to do it as much since i have to travel for 30 minutes of more to get the the various trails we have in this area. we are fortunate to have a lot of mtn bike trails in the dallas area. (who woulda thunk)

due to work schedule and non-daylight savings time, riding is mostly confined to weekends. did 43 road miles last weekend; then did 27 miles mountain bike this weekend (Rowlett creek).

biking is the one activity i have stuck with over the years (even when a lot heavier than i am now). it is the only exercise that i look forward to doing and actually crave the ride.
gw
  #626   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 10:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 212/197/175 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I would love to get onto the road to do some biking, but as the temp has been around 0-10F, my cycling is confined to indoors. Can't wait for Spring!
  #627   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 22:26
Registered Member

Stats: 282/240/200 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by garydogwoo
biking is the one activity i have stuck with over the years (even when a lot heavier than i am now). it is the only exercise that i look forward to doing and actually crave the ride.
gw

That make two of us.
  #628   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 23:12

BF:

Went for a nice ride today at 25 below on my new fat bike. I like what garydogwoo said about craving the ride.
  #629   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-13, 10:34

Plan: Keto IF
Stats: 275/242.8/192 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler
Went for a nice ride today at 25 below on my new fat bike. I like what garydogwoo said about craving the ride.

-25F is cold wow...
Wish I had a new Fat Bike getting by with studded tires more of an icy issue here. Had a good fall and bruised some ribs last year on ice with smooth tires, no fun.

Enjoy the new bike
  #630   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-13, 18:07

Plan: restrict carbs
Stats: 210/170/160 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

19 miles on the mountain bike today on one of our good local trails. perfect weather sunny and close to 70 degrees. aahhh, life is good and meaningful...

gw