Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 15:56

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Exclamation Update...

Okay...Update on this stagnant diabetic....

After much discussion on several threads in two different forums...I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't know how a "carb loading" would affect me unless I tried it....kinda YMMV. So.....Monday I did just that......I ate...Spaghetti....two slices of real potato bread....and a big bowl of ice cream with hot fudge/cinnamon sauce. My first reaction was intense BLOAT....achiness.....and the next morning I found a 3 1/2 lb gain. Now I'm back on Atkins...strictly...and feel much better. Time will tell whether this was enough to stimulate any weight loss....my blood sugar did take a bit of a swing....but seems to be resting comfortably now. I had expected to have a little disorientation earlier...but that never came. Now I play a waiting game......

Thanks for all the suggestions and support...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 23:15

BF:

Hello...another update...

It's been awhile since that re-feed episode. Of course, turtle that I am , only this past week I lost the poundage I regained after that one day. In a couple days I will weigh in....and see if the dropping continues. If not...maybe I'll have to try something else?
The carb loading had less effect on my blood sugar than I thought it would....but now it's back to the level it was prior to that.

#18   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 00:06
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerBlumers
Hi...I haven't posted much in this category....mostly because I fit so many categories in this forum, and haven't had a question that might fit this one until now.

I'm a type 2...doing my best to control my blood sugar with diet, exercise, and natural supplementation. In addition, I've also dealt with yeast issues (and am symptom-free presently, due to successful cleanse..), fluid retention (due to a lymph vein insufficiency...mostly in my left leg), allergies/asthma, hypothyroidism, etc....

I've been on Atkins since August, 2003...and have lost only 22 lbs. It took me four weeks to start dropping any weight at all....then I struggled fiercely to lose any more. I'm currently doing 20-25g carbs daily on OWL. I AM TIRED OF STRUGGLING SO HARD!!! I am convinced that my current problem is the ongoing fluid retention coupled with an incredibly sluggish metabolism...apparently my body thinks it's in starvation mode regarding food...and fluid as well.

My question: I recently heard stories of people who have kept their metabolism stimulated by strictly following the diet plan for six days/off the seventh day. I also wonder if some people choose one meal to eat what they want...and then return immediately to the stricter diet. I've also heard about planned "cheats" geared toward holiday eating. COULD SOMETHING LIKE THIS REALLY WORK TO STIMULATE THE METABOLISM? Quite frankly I am SCARED by all this....what about my blood sugar? Wouldn't that be too much of a shock, considering the fact that I haven't done anything like this for such a long time?

Have you tried anything like this? What happened...did it work? How did it affect your blood sugar?

BTW...I posted a question similar to this one in Turtle Club...got no answer....

Yup. This can work well.

Bodybuilders do something similar - it's called cyclic ketogenic dieting, or CKD. We call the "day off" a refeed.

Stimulates thyroid, and helps keep your metabolism ticking away.

Not sure about how it would work with type II, but it's might be worth a shot, especially if you exercise hard (ie fairly intense cardio, or weightlifting, lifting, followed by a bit of cardio) the day following your refeed.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 11:42

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 255/230/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Low carb and not much loss

I too started the low carb in March 2003 and lost 25 pounds very quickly then nothing. I found that I had to also keep my calories down as well and cut out all salt.

Are you eating a lot of calories?
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 16:37

Plan: Atkins/Diabetic
Stats: 137/138/128 Female 5'4 and 1/2"
BF:
Progress:
Default Metabolism and Atkins

There are some Thyroid forums, one at Delphi's About.com, and also if you've taken diabetes classes, maybe you could still meet again with the dietician for some emotional support. I've been on Atkins not to lose weight but to control blood glucose, also garlic pills.

Manufacturers have been "messing around with" formulations of the best-known thyroid meds, so now it's very hard to figure the right dosage, and doctors give conflicting opinions. It's almost like nobody really knows.

Ever had a "thyroid panel", showing what your "Free T4", the main factor, is, also your T3, and if those are low, your TSH may be elevated, anywhere from 1-5 I think, some people even higher, or, some experts point out, may never rise at all even if you're hypothyroid enough to be a zombie sleeping all the time, muscles weak and/or painful, my problem. If already on meds, don't take them just before a test, and the fashion, fad, or trend seems to be to lower patient's dosage no matter what. I can hardly turn my steering wheel, slowly bumped into a post one day, stayed home the rest of the day and increased my dose on my own next day, changed doctors and told him about this. He said we'll give you enough to keep you out of trouble. Why not just stick with what his predecessor prescribed, that had worked for me for 40 years? I don't get it.

Was just reading about the late Martha Mitchell, trying to find what she died of, articles that mention our gov't keeping some Nazi's, and I guess experiments the government's been sued for, Mind-Control. Am I joking or not when I wonder out loud, is this more of that? So many at About.com are suffering. When Reagan was young, we had an expression, "All a communist plot", when we couldn't figure out something. Or some cult leader may not like people taking meds? I was looking up Lundgren, on Ohio's death row for telling that a bookish family of 5 were "evil" and getting them killed in a barn. I found countless pages of these cases, worldwide. Where's that Smiley with all the question marks? Okay, I'll use this one.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-04, 23:18

Plan: bernstein's
Stats: 258/238/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

der blumers--i am new here but have been doing dr bernstein's for my type II for about 2 mos. in looking at the foods you are eating, i see you are tending towards the lower calorie end. even tho you might be eating plenty of protein, i suspect your fat intake (or lack thereof) may be hindering you. just a thought...
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-04, 17:54

Plan: South Beach and Atkins..
Stats: 186/165/125 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the tip on Fitday...I heard a friend talk about it..went and downloaded the program..it's great. It makes a difference when you see it in print and a graph...and I love the activity log...thanks again..

Jan..type 2 controlled with diet and alot of exercise.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-04, 18:32

BF:

I'm back....with a big change in my diet routine.....

Several of you have given great tips..and I'm grateful for them all. From everything I've read here....I think Kvilter (you might be new...but you have great insight...thanks) probably offered the most helpful thought... Sometime in November, after reading a couple statements by some diet authors...and a few reflections/thoughts in a couple other areas of this forum...a possibility dawned on me...one I hadn't thought of before. I was pesco vegetarian for nearly three years prior to going low carb, and it was a huge step for me to add meat back into my diet. I thought I'd have a better chance of making this work if I did just that. What I didn't realize is that I probably added all the FAT that goes with the meat as well....in addition to the fats I consciously added as vegetarian...which were mostly good fats. I now think that I must have been doing it all wrong; what I should have done was replaced the BAD fats with the GOOD fats......but somehow my body can't (or doesn't want to) process the EXTRA fats....and the only way I can control my fat intake properly...both amount and type....is to RETURN to the pesco vegetarian lifestyle....only THIS time making it LOW CARB...eliminating all the starches, sugars, bad fruits, etc....that I once ate in mass quantities.

Yes....I believe my stagnancy has everything to do with type and amount of fat intake.....and have just started taking the necessary steps to improve....THANKS
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-04, 18:34

BF:

BTW....if my previous post doesn't make much sense...please check my journal...maybe I said it better there!!
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-04, 19:02

Plan: The Diet Cure
Stats: 225/212/150 Female 65 inches
BF:Too much!
Progress: 17%

DerBlumers ... just a thought ...
I have heard that if your calorie intake is too low, your body goes into starvation mode and hangs onto the fat.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-04, 10:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 271/251/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 15%

DerBlumers, We seem to be in about the same situation. I was diagosed with T2 in July, about 3 weeks after I started Atkins. It took me 3 or 4 weeks to finally loose a little weight. When I got Metformin I lost 4 pounds the first week. I also have PCOS. Since then it has been very slow. 18 lbs in 6 months. I also have been trying to figure out why. I started using more butter and cream and when I do that I feel like I loose a little faster. Sometimes I have a hard time getting 1000 to 1200 calories a day. I think it is from thinking for years low fat, low calorie to loose, but I didn't loose, just kept gaining. So it is hard to accept that I should eat more fat in my diet. I don't remember the percentage of fat you should be eating, but it is high, so that your body uses it as fuel. I am also going to try some things that are suppose to help Insulin resistance. (Inositol, cod liver oil, etc.) I am thinking that this is my biggest problem, because your insulin can be high and your glucose under control. I keep hoping that if I do this (Atkins) long enough maybe IR will improve and I will start loosing faster. I use to have all the water retention all the time, and that is one thing that has really improved. I actually have ankles again.

I have seen some suttle changes over this 6 months. I used to have a lot of brown spots (liver or age spots) and I am amazed how much they have faded and I actually have white looking arms and hands. Just keep trying and adjusting things to try to make things better, because, the way I look at it, I am 18 lbs. less than 6 months ago and if I don't follow this WOE I would really be in bad shape. But, I keep investigating and reading these forums and maybe something will help. I also have a lot of questions and I am not sure where to begin, so I keep reading. I think if you eat a lot of carbs for one meal or day you are just making your insulin level higher. Have you had your insulin level checked. Mine was 46 (normal is 1 - 14). I have to go in for another battery of tests (I should have gone a month ago but I have been putting it off). Hang in there. I will be watching for your posts to see if anything helps, so I can try it too.