Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 15:37

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Question Stagnant Type 2 with a Question

Hi...I haven't posted much in this category....mostly because I fit so many categories in this forum, and haven't had a question that might fit this one until now.

I'm a type 2...doing my best to control my blood sugar with diet, exercise, and natural supplementation. In addition, I've also dealt with yeast issues (and am symptom-free presently, due to successful cleanse..), fluid retention (due to a lymph vein insufficiency...mostly in my left leg), allergies/asthma, hypothyroidism, etc....

I've been on Atkins since August, 2003...and have lost only 22 lbs. It took me four weeks to start dropping any weight at all....then I struggled fiercely to lose any more. I'm currently doing 20-25g carbs daily on OWL. I AM TIRED OF STRUGGLING SO HARD!!! I am convinced that my current problem is the ongoing fluid retention coupled with an incredibly sluggish metabolism...apparently my body thinks it's in starvation mode regarding food...and fluid as well.

My question: I recently heard stories of people who have kept their metabolism stimulated by strictly following the diet plan for six days/off the seventh day. I also wonder if some people choose one meal to eat what they want...and then return immediately to the stricter diet. I've also heard about planned "cheats" geared toward holiday eating. COULD SOMETHING LIKE THIS REALLY WORK TO STIMULATE THE METABOLISM? Quite frankly I am SCARED by all this....what about my blood sugar? Wouldn't that be too much of a shock, considering the fact that I haven't done anything like this for such a long time?

Have you tried anything like this? What happened...did it work? How did it affect your blood sugar?

BTW...I posted a question similar to this one in Turtle Club...got no answer....

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 16:38

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

.........wow.... to many...of this one ? ? ?...:-)))))
...and *I* can not unswer them ! just dont know !
BUT....you are doing something good and that is controling your sugar so it means...you are doing good !!!
Im the same as you....with LC foods and some exercise Im trying to control it...when I eat ...tons of fresh veggies and very 3 small portion of protien... I see I can lose it nicely.
BUT.......Im not that always good :-(((.....:-))))))....Take care
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 00:32

BF:

I'm sorry Picaboo.....I guess I didn't re-read my own message! My one question did turn out to be several.....

I guess in one question I would say...Would a planned cheat or higher carb meal once a week stimulate my metabolism...without affecting my blood sugar adversely??

Thanks....I welcome comments from anyone who has been there.....
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 00:48

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 145/117/120 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

I think all it would do is to raise your blood sugars and would therefore be a very bad idea. That's just my opinion, but it's based on my own experience with Dr. Bernstein's low carb plan. I keep my blood sugars very low on this plan, from around 4 (72) first thing in the morning to 5.3 to 5.4 (95 to 97) two hours after a meal. Have you read Dr. Bernstein's book? If not, I would strongly recommend it to you.

Karen D.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 19:32
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. B's 6-12-12
Stats: 275/228/185 Male 70.5 inches
BF:N/A
Progress: 52%

Forget about cheating. Limit your carbs to a very narrow range of sources. Forget bread, potatos, rice, pasta...think asparagas, green beans, cream cheese, ham, chicken, shrimp, brocolli, cauliflower, lettuces of all kinds, spinich, low GI berries like strawberries, blue berries...etc, etc Find Out About It Here.

Cheating will only destroy your control. Weight loss is weight loss no matter what you're eating. Burn more off than you take in and you will lose weight. Sometimes I just have to get up off and my butt and start walking a couple of more miles a day...the weight loss restarts or accelerates. This is really pretty simple to do...not easy the first 2-3 days, but simple.

Good Luck.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerBlumers
My question: I recently heard stories of people who have kept their metabolism stimulated by strictly following the diet plan for six days/off the seventh day.

Hello DerBlumers:
I alternate between low carb days and higher carb intake days. Like I'd eat low carb (protein, fat, veggies) for a few days in a row (4 or 5), and then add one day, when I can eat higher carb food, like fruit, some whole grains, legumes in moderation of course, to keep my carbs higher but still under 100-120g. I avoid refined carbs in any form during this day, so no sugary and junky food at all. Just stick to some low GI fruit, legumes and whole grains in moderation in addition to protein and fat. This way I satisfy my carb cravings, which I've acquired since adopting too low carb diet, and see better results with my cardio and weight exercise, in terms of strength and muscle gain. This helps me with fat loss as well, which I'm after, not exactly weight loss per se. I see no changes in my BG during those higher carb days whatsoever. But YMMV. You also may consider to look into CKD, Cyclical Ketogenic Diet my Lyle McDonald. It's a very well written and scientifically explained book but keep in mind that it includes a great amount of exercise, both cardio and weights. In any case, it wound't hurt to shake up your diet and exercise routine. You may be surprised to see that it really makes a difference. At least, it did for me. I anticipate lots of angry responses from other Dr.Bernstein forum members, so it's again, just to answer your question, not to start a war on the Dr.Bernstein site. May be you should post your questions under General Low Carbing forum.
Take care,
Dina

Last edited by dina1957 : Mon, May-17-04 at 14:44.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 15:11
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan
Weight loss is weight loss no matter what you're eating. Burn more off than you take in and you will lose weight.

Hi Iceman:
Is this would be true, low fat diets will work very well for weight loss too. If this is the case, why then many ppl are struggling to lose all the extra weight, and what is more important, extra fat despite eating a very low calory diets? I'm afraid it's not that simple, otherwise, we all won't be looking into different diet and exercise regimes. Also, eat less and exercise more sounds like a very sensible advice, and everything will be perfect in ideal world, but we also have hormones, muslces and joints which can give you grief when overtrained, we have different metabolic types, need variety in out diets, and also have some other health issues besides DM. Human biochemistry is not equation with just one variable , especially when it comes to type 2 diabetes. There are other factors involved, since diabetes is a metabolic disorder, which affects whole body and all hormones in general. So, simply eat less and exercise more doesn't work for everyone.
Regards,
Dina
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 16:07

BF:

I want to thank those of you who have answered...and given some advice. I have a few things to add....

To Karen D.....I would love to read Dr. Bernstein's book...I will look for it in the library or local bookstore....I'm quite curious, myself.

To Iceman....I am doing EVERYTHING you're already saying.....I haven't had bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, sugars, or even any fruit since last August. I don't eat ham, bacon, or sausage because they kept me from even beginning to lose weight. My diet consists mostly of tuna salads (lettuce + red pepper + green onion + tuna + Drews salad dressing), chicken or fish with broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, etc....seasoned, without a real sauce......and my eggs/limited cheese with a veggie in the morning. I drink more than a gallon of water daily and take numerous supplements. Everything I eat is low GI....I consume 20-25gr carbs daily. Exercise?? I work two jobs....both keep me on my toes...one keeps me going up and down stairs and steep inclines during the day....BOTH require some lifting.....on my ONLY day off I do a lot of walking when I can. I don't lack exercise.....
I only asked about the possibility of a planned diversion because I've been so strict for so long....perhaps I might be going into a type of starvation mode...I know my body must think I'm in a fluid starvation mode, because I keep retaining fluid....I'm actually afraid to eat something I shouldn't....because of a blood sugar reaction...and THAT's why I asked.

Dina....What you suggest about alternation is what I am referring to....but I'm afraid that my blood sugar will suffer if I try this. I've been getting conflicting...confusing feedback, and I don't want to do anything if it's going to ruin anything that I've done so far...including getting my blood sugar in order....without insulin or oral meds. I must be terribly metabolically challenged......

I'm seeing someone this afternoon who might have a couple ideas for me....maybe I'll get a chance to report on what she tells me later....

Thanks all!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 10:05

BF:

....yeah.....right.....that person I saw yesterday? She was trying to get me to eat 200 calories 7-8 times a day......and when I told her most days my schedule doesn't permit that...and, besides, I'm on Atkins...and don't usually count my calories like that....she gave me a puzzled look and announced "Atkins is just a bunch of crap." Well......I'm sorry, but I'm not taking ANY advice from ANYONE who says stuff like that about Atkins.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 15:55

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

DerBlumers, the only way to find out how you would react to a higher carb day is to give it a try. You can't base how your body will react to it on how someone else's body will react to it. If you try it and your blood sugar shoots up, you have your answer.
There are many reasons for slow weight loss, not all of them related to "starvation mode", especially since you seem to have had difficulty losing right from the beginning.
Have you ruled out possible food allergies/food sensitivities?
Have you had your thyroid tested?
Do you get enough regular sleep?
What types of medications (if any) do you take?

Those are all some things to consider. It sucks to have to struggle to lose weight but on a positive note, this is probably one of the best things you could be doing for many of the problems that you have. Hang in there!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 20:35

BF:

Thank you, Lisa, for your comments...you are probably right. I won't know for sure how something like that will affect me until I try it....What I do know is....I have either ruled out or dealt with head-on everything I can think of....Yes, I do have a number of food allergies and sensitivities....but I have not been eating those foods. Yes....I am hypothyroid; I have had my thyroid tested three times in the last few months .... and my medication has been changed...and adjusted upward....so that is in control. My schedule is busy, but I manage to get the sleep I need. (I WOULD NOT if I took that lady's advice about eating 7-8 times a day....). Currently the only medication I take is levothyroxine for my thyroid....I took a prescription diuretic for my fluid retention problem, but the doctor said it was okay to wean myself off if I found natural substitutes to work as well. (I wasn't taking it for blood pressure or heart problems; just a type of lymph venous insufficiency mostly in one leg). I use an inhaler for my asthma for emergencies only; supplementation has supported my lungs to the point that I don't need regular meds. Ah yes...and no meds (so far) for my blood sugar..

I took myself through an extensive candida/yeastie bug cleanse for a few months....and now have no symptoms....I am maintaining with probiotics every day. It was when I was doing this cleanse I began losing weight on a regular basis for awhile. That has stopped....

I've been on so many diets in my life....I'm getting tired of the struggle...and it gets harder each time....so I'm determined that this is going to be my last time.....so it had better work. I plan on doing this right. Unfortunately.....in the process of "doing it right" I got stuck.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 07:05

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I've been on so many diets in my life....I'm getting tired of the struggle...and it gets harder each time....so I'm determined that this is going to be my last time.....so it had better work. I plan on doing this right. Unfortunately.....in the process of "doing it right" I got stuck.

I understand your frustration, DerBlumers, but consider the alternative. Even if you aren't losing weight at the moment, you are seeing other benefits (like better blood sugar control). What happens if you give up?
From my DH's experience (he also has multiple food and airborne allergies), just having allergies will make your weight loss slow and difficult even if you aren't eating something that you are allergic to. Add to that the other issues yuo've got going on and I'm afraid the weight loss is going to be very slow no matter what you do and it will be a matter of slow and steady wins the race.
One other thought...what does your daily calorie intake look like? You've said that you keep to 20-25 grams of carb per day, but are you also keeping your calories low?
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 00:36

BF:

I'm sure my caloric intake is under 1500....but I don't record calories on a regular basis, so it might be wise for me to keep a record for a week to get a better idea.

I realize that I have issues that are probably making this process a lot slower for me.....but considering the alternative.....I have to keep going.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 01:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/215/190 Female 5'8"
BF:t/o/omuch
Progress: 67%

Hi, just another thought. Have you tried using Fitday.com to track your calories and carbs? I have been using it for several weeks and really like it. I was shocked at how few calories I eat and am satisfied with on Atkins. Also, there is a chance your calories are too LOW. There is a way to calculate them along with your exercise level, but I don't know how, offhand. I have tried the low carb/high carb days and it works for me, BUT I am not diabetic. So please be careful. . .Carlene
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 13:22

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 255/230/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Weight Loss

Hello Everyone

I have been reading the postings regarding weight loss and am glad to know that I am not alone. I have been eating low carb for 15 months now and have only lost 20 pounds. However I did lose 3 sizes!

I walk every day for at least 30 minutes. And I still can't drop the pounds...any suggestions??