Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 05:17

Plan: south beach diet
Stats: 231/202/154 Female 5ft 4inches
BF:37%/34.1%/25%
Progress: 38%

Hi girls, wow liz all them pounds you lost it seems so far away for me, I am ashamed of myself today I went out shopping for the kids confirmation and communion clothes yesterday, I had no breakfast and no lunch i was so hungry come 4 Oclock I had some of the kids chips and a sandwich, Oh no I dident stop there I buckled under preasure and had a drink, no not a glass of wine, pints of cider !!!! I will try again, and again till I get it right, by the way liz there are 14 pounds in a stone, you done a great job with your weight I can only dream of shifting 5 stone
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 12:07
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/162/136 Female 5 ft 6 '
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi glenellen and carmel..welcome lizwhip.
Well last wednesday night I went out with the girls from work..and had garlic bread, pizza and dessert..and thurs morning I had gained 5 lbs...ahhh.
Anyway I was away for the weekend..had a brillant weekend..tryed to stick to the diet..just got back so i will weigh myself in the morning and let ye know how I got on. Have decided I can't give up wine..also discovered irish coffees made with decaf coffee and fresh cream..yummy
kitty
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 12:16

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 249/ 199/175 Female 68 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 68%

cead mile failte liz,of course you can join in,the more the merrier as you can see we are a small little group but determined nontheless to succeed in this challange we have set ourselves.I wonder is there something in our Irish d.n.a. that makes us love the "odd"glass of wine or2?.I was away for the night at a party and had to stop myself weighing myself on my hosts bathroom scales,but no doubt tomorrow morning I will know if drinking 4 glasses of white wine did much damage,the food was no problem as my host made a big effort to have lowcarb food for me but kept filling up my wine glass!!!.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 15:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/149/125 Female 5feet 2inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hello everyone.
Glenellen told me about your challenge and I was hoping I could join you. I am not Irish but my birthday is on St. Patricks Day. I would love to lose 10 pounds by then.
I had a bad weekend. Lets just say ten 6 year olds, a two hour birthday party, my mother, pizza and chocolate cake. I think that says it all.
I plan on going back on induction tomorrow and I could use a challenge to help me stay on track. I hope you don't mind my droping in.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 22:29
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi again,

Thanks for the nice welcome ladies! I am psyched to reach my St. Pat's goal, and this is really helping me to stay on track. I had been stalled for about two months, even without cheating, so last weekend I did what they call a "refeed" which basically means you eat every high carb food in sight for two days, then go back to Atkins. It is supposed to get your weight loss going again, and it worked great for me, as I am down 3 pounds this week.

I am very strict about sticking to the diet, have only cheated 2 or three times, which just goes to show that I have an obsessive personality - I am absolutely determined to do this! Am just sick and tired of being overweight! That being said, I do drink wine, diet coke, and smoke cigarettes! But when that kills me I want to be nice and slim at my wake.

So, three lbs. this week, It will be interesting to see how long I can keep losing after my refeed, without stalling again.

As to the DNA/wine connection, it may be true, but It may be true for lots of different ethnicities too - my Italian, German, Polish and African American friends need their wine/beer/booze too! Or maybe they're all a little bit Irish and aren't telling me...

Liz
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 13:13

BF:

Hi Scarlet ,you are more then wellcome to join ,lets just hope we can all stay the course and reach our target weight loss .Speaking for myself I need the support as well as the hints and tips I get from this forum.WhenI get up from my computer I always seem to feel more determined to reach my target weight,and I also do not so alone on this journey.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 13:16

BF:

my typing is dreadfull,my spelling is not so hot ,but at least 10 out of 10 for effort!!.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 14:47
aka Celestine

BF:

Hi all!

I don't know if ya'll are aware of this awesome web-site called fitday.com but it is really helping me. You can go there and set up an account (it's free), then you input everything you've eaten that day. It calculates your calories, carbs, and all the other nutritional values of everything you've eaten. So you can really see what you're doing, and where you are having those few extra carbs, etc, that might be slowing you down. When you look at your nutritional values it reminds you to take your vitamins, too.

It does other things too, like calculate how many calories you're burning based on your activity, (or in my case lack of activity), but I mostly love it for keeping-track of my carbs and calories. I think its a lot of fun, plus it will tend to make you think about what you're putting in your mouth so you can remember it to input later.

I have made this WOE the most important thing in my life, right up there with my job and my kids. In fact I took some advice I read in one of those self-help books, which said to treat yourself as well as you would treat your own child. I mean, if one of your kids were obese and unhappy, would you stop at anything to rectify the situation?

Here's another thing that I do which is probably (well, definitely) against the conventional wisdom of dieting - I don't drink all the water! But I do drink enough LIQUIDS to make up for it. I count my diet coke and my tea in my total "water" amount. Crystal lite lemonade is another way to get my liquid. Although my water intake is more than it was before, there's no way I can drink 64 0z. of plain old water a day. A doctor friend of mine told me that a good rule of thumb is to aim for your urine to be completely colorless. On days that I know I'll be drinking wine or low-carb beer, I try to drink some extra water because the alchohol is dehydrating. (Do you have Michelob Ultra in Ireland? It's only 2.5 carbs per beer.)

Liz

PS - Carmel, I think you have lost a lot, if you've only been doing LC since October!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 15:19

Plan: south beach diet
Stats: 231/202/154 Female 5ft 4inches
BF:37%/34.1%/25%
Progress: 38%

Hi girls and it's nice to see you here scarlet, It's back to basic's for me, I am still disappointed with myself, I even drank 4 litres of water today, I diden't think I could consume that amount of liquid, well non alchoholic!!! liz you said you have wine 2-3 times a week, how many glasses would that be, and I will definitely look into fitday, and no we don't have that beer here, Its difficult to get lo carb anything here. carmel your typing would be a lot better if you put down that glass!! and I also need the support, I diden't think I was so week, I am not visiting my family again, well for a few weeks anyway,it will give me a chance to shift some pounds. kittyford sorry about all that weight you gained for one night of passion lol, but not to worry tomorrow is another day. OH dont forget girls 4 more days to our weigh in.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 15:31
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/162/136 Female 5 ft 6 '
BF:
Progress: 24%

hi girls..welcome scarlett.
Kept to the diet today. Started yoga classes this evening. God the woman who was giving the class is so flexible. Felt great after the class even if I was one of the unflexible 'I can't even touch my toes' gals at the back of the class. Having lovely lamb chops for dinner..yummy.
kitty
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 15:35
aka Celestine

BF:

When I drink my wine or low carb beer, I drink as much as I feel like, which is sometimes a lot!

If you don't have Michelob Ultra, maybe you have Miller Lite? That has only a bit more that 3 carbs per bottle. People who like REAL beer might find these beers watery but I have always liked lite beer.

For instance I went out to a local hole-in-the-wall on Sat. night to play trivia, and had 6 or 8 Michelob Ultras, and was still down a lb. Will probably be drinking again on Thurs. night. I doubt it will be that much though, maybe 2 or three glasses of wine.

Liz
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 16:03

BF:

Thanks for the welcome all.
I am back on induction today and I have an awful carb hangover. Wish I liked that wine you all keep talking about. I so learned my lesson. I can't wait to gat the kids in bed so I can sit in the peace and have a cup of tea. It's going to be caffinated tonight. OW my head!
I find regular US beer watery so I guess the lo carb stuff would be extra wattery. No help there.
My scale is not working so I have no idea how the weekend hurt me. Hopefully by the time I get a new one all will be normal again.
Thanks for being there.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 07:25

Stats: 227/227/200 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Soft and Squishy
Progress: 0%

Hi All,

Would love to be a part of the St. Pats Challenge!!

FYI Loads of Atkins products at the Boots on Grafton St. -- the vits, etc. Nice to be able to get them but at twice the price they are in the states

Lets do it!

By the way - I am a vodka girl. Some reason no effect on the weight loss...

Cheers

Katyspice
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 13:34

BF:

HI to everyone.Here I am for my nightly fix ,hope everyone is feeling positive.I decided today after talking to a friend who started Adkins the same time as me but who has stoped and started about 5 times and is realy not getting anywhere with her weight loss and I think is only driving herself mad ,that the reason I have lasted so long lowcarbing is because I like an alcoholic I only tell myself that I cannot have-say bread -just for today and repeat that each day .I therefore only have to stay away from that food for one day,so it never seems to long.Works for me anyway,what keeps the rest of you for the most part on the straight and narrow?.I also think it helps me now that I am able to swim each day,I drag myself into the pool each day and feel great when I get out .the old endorphins(not sure about the spelling) start to pump!.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 14:57

BF:

Hi everyone.
Carmel I can't wait till I'm brave enough to put on a swimsuit again. I love swimming. It makes me feel great but I'm just not there yet.
I used fitday yesterday, like Liz suggested, and figured out that I'm not getting enough calories. What a pain. I'm thinking about trying to add more fat. I had this problem the last time too and when I uped the fat I lost much faster, just can't remember how I did it.
I am going to try your one day at a time theory and see how it works for me. Can use all the help I can get.