Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-10, 09:24
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Individual Pumpkin Bread w/ Lime Frosting

I keep tinkering around with oat fiber and continue to be pleased with the improved texture and flavor it seems to give things. This is my latest experiment, along with my all-time favorite Lime Cream Cheese Frosting recipe:

INDIVIDUAL PUMPKIN BREAD (picture here)
http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/1...-pumpkin-bread/

INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
4 drops liquid Splenda
1 pkt. stevia sweetener
2 T. pumpkin (not the pie filling)
2 T. golden flaxmeal
2 T. brown flaxmeal
½ tsp. baking powder
1 T. oat fiber (I order from Honeyvillegrains.com)
½ tsp. cinnamon
Pinch each of cloves and nutmeg
1 T. heavy cream

DIRECTIONS: Melt butter in microwave in a small bowl or mid-size ramekin. Add egg, pumpkin, cream and liquid Splenda and beat until smooth. Add flax meals, spices, baking powder and stevia and stir to blend well. Microwave on HI for about 1 min 10 seconds. If dry to the touch in the center, it’s done. Remove, cool a minute and using knife tip, gently tip it out of the ramekin/bowl. Can be eaten as is or you can ice with my Lime Frosting or any favorite topping.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 1 serving which contains: (note, this does NOT include any frosting)

361 calories
30.4 g fat
20.1 g carbs
15.8 g fiber
4.3 NET CARBS
12.4 g protein
274 mg sodium

LIME FROSTING: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/10/16/lime-frosting/

I like to keep this frosting made up all the time and in the fridge at the ready. It’s so handy for topping breakfast muffins, sugar cookies, cake slices and I even like dipping fresh strawberries into this. Keeps well and it even freezes well.

INGREDIENTS:

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
Liquid Splenda to taste (took about 12 drops for me)
Grated zest of 1 lime
Juice of 1 lime

DIRECTIONS: Soften cream cheese and add remaining ingredients. Spoon into lidded plastic container and store in refrigerator. Keeps a long time. I’ve never had to throw this out due to spoilage. Gets eaten before that is an issue! Makes enough to ice a 8×8 square cake or a dozen cupcakes, probably 18-24 small cookies.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes about 16 tablespoons of icing. Each tablespoon contains:

50 calories
4.94 g fat
.64 g carbs
.05 g fiber
.59 g NET CARBS
.9 g protein
42 mg. sodium
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-10, 09:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237.0/209.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Morning Peggy. This looks really good. Thanks again for all that you do.

Have you ever seen oat fiber in the store? Like Bob's Red Mill brand? How many carbs/fiber per serving does it have in it? Does it really make a big difference in taste/texture? Sorry so many questions.

Hope that you have a wonderful Sunday.
Rox
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-10, 09:48
Patience Personified

Rox, I find it makes cakes and muffins smoother and gives results more like real flour. And it adds a bit of an oaty flavor to vanilla based items. The spices in this pumpkin bread, of course, overpowered any oat fiber flavor. But it made the bread textured more like my traditional flour recipe.

I've never seen the stuff in a store, though your local health food store might carry/order it for you. Be sure to note that oat bran flour (often in stores) is not the same thing and is much higher in carbs, because it doesn't have as much of the husk apparently. The oat fiber is more concentrated (according to Honeyville). It is ground to a very fine powder like flour. It has 26g carbs, but 26g fiber, so it basically zero's out to 0 net carbs when cooking! If it has any carbs, it must be <.5, or they'd have to show it on the Nutri. Info label. Here's the manuf. blurb if you'd like to read what they say about it:

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/oatfiber50lb.aspx
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-10, 10:18

Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

i am really wanting to try this.. do you find you lose weight fine still eating it all the time now?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-10, 10:31
Patience Personified

Well, Candice, I've been stalled for so long due to low progesterone and stress-related high cortisol levels, I can honestly say adding this to my regimen hasn't caused any gaining. So I don't think oat fiber has any negative impact on ME. Might someone else though. You'd have to try it and see if your system tolerates it OK.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-10, 10:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoni
Rox, I find it makes cakes and muffins smoother and gives results more like real flour. And it adds a bit of an oaty flavor to vanilla based items. The spices in this pumpkin bread, of course, overpowered any oat fiber flavor. But it made the bread textured more like my traditional flour recipe.

I've never seen the stuff in a store, though your local health food store might carry/order it for you. Be sure to note that oat bran flour (often in stores) is not the same thing and is much higher in carbs, because it doesn't have as much of the husk apparently. The oat fiber is more concentrated (according to Honeyville). It is ground to a very fine powder like flour. It has 26g carbs, but 26g fiber, so it basically zero's out to 0 net carbs when cooking! If it has any carbs, it must be <.5, or they'd have to show it on the Nutri. Info label. Here's the manuf. blurb if you'd like to read what they say about it:

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/oatfiber50lb.aspx

Thanks Peggy. I did find the oat bran flour at our Nugget market on Sunday and it had like 24 or 26 carbs and fiber was like 4 or 6. I did not buy it and glad now that I did not. I will ck the link out.
Thanks.
Rox
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-10, 10:37

BF:

Do you buy 50lbs at a time? $120 is a little steep on my budget.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-10, 13:07
Induction ≠ Atkins

Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

Rox - I ordered mine from Netrition and it was less then $4 it was 500g.

Last edited by krystalr : Tue, Oct-19-10 at 13:15.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-10, 13:13
Patience Personified

I think my bag was a 5 lb. bag, if I remember right.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-10, 14:34

BF:

Thanks Krys and Peggy.
I just got back from Henry's Farmer's Market, they are natural type food store and they only had oat flour in the bulk. I did get some Bob's Red Mill Course ground cornmeal for like $2.39. I am going to start practicing on a cornbread for Thanksgiving Stuffing.
Either of you had any sucess with cornbread?
Thanks,
Rox
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-10, 15:50

BF:

Just placed my first Netrition order;

1 244-0004 LifeSource Foods Oat Fiber 500 1 lb. (454g) $3.29 $3.29
1 40-0017 Netrition Product Catalog 1 catalog $0.00 $0.00
1 407-0005 Russell Stover Net Carb Peanut Butter Cups 3.5 oz bag $2.59 $2.59
1 407-0006 Russell Stover Net Carb Pecan Delights 3.5 oz bag $2.59 $2.59
2 592-0001 Smokin' Joe Jones No Sugar Added Barbecue Sauce 16.5 oz $5.95 $11.90

I will let you know when I use any of these products.
Rox
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-10, 11:01
Patience Personified

Rox said: I am going to start practicing on a cornbread for Thanksgiving Stuffing.
Either of you had any sucess with cornbread?

Funny you should ask, Roxanne, as I have been tinkering around. Last night's cornbread experiment came out pretty good, too! Hubby had seconds! Here's the recipe and link to the pic: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/1...milk-cornbread/

I have been experimenting with a new baking ingredient, crude corn bran, as it only has 6 net carbs per oz (1/3 c.), compared to 15 net carbs for the same amount of whole cornmeal. I miss my cornbread when I have pork chops or smoked pork. What can I say? I’m a southern girl.

My first experiment came out good enough to crumble up into casseroles that call for corn tortillas. But not good enough in texture to slice and eat as bread. Tonight’s experiment came out good enough in texture and flavor to butter and enjoy. Hubby and I found it quite close to real cornbread in taste! Texture wasn’t quite as grainy, but taste was very close. Appearance was pretty good, too, I thought. I consider this recipe a work in progress, as I am just learning about crude corn bran. So as I discover improvements, this recipe will be changed here. This recipe is not suitable until the grains rung of the OWL phase of Atkins.

Buttermilk Cornbread

INGREDIENTS:

½ c. corn bran (I order from Honeyvillegrains.com)
½ c. CarbQuick bake mix
¼ c. hazel nut flour (almond flour would be OK)
½ c. oat fiber (I order from Honeyvillegrains.com)
1 oz. (1/3 c.) vital wheat gluten
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking soda
1 T. olive oil
½ c. buttermilk (1%)
½ c. heavy cream
2 eggs, beaten

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Measure all dry ingredients into a bowl Beat eggs and all liquid ingredients in another bowl. Add wet ingredients to the dry and stir well. Pour into well-greased non-stick pan (it tented to want to stick to even a non-stick pan). Bake at 350º for about 20 minutes. Toothpick test center to be sure it is done. Should spring back when touched. Remove and slice into 8 slices.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 8 slices, each containing:

150.3 calories
11.8 g fat
18.79 g carbs
9.88 g fiber
8.91 g NET CARBS
6.88 g protein
176.5 mg sodium

I froze the leftovers to use in my stuffing for Thanksgiving.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-10, 11:58

BF:

Thanks Peggy.

I am going to try this tonight. I am going to make it into 12 muffins, bake less time. I also think that I might use 1/4 cup HWC and decrease by 1 egg. My normal recipe is the one that comes on the Albers Cornmeal box that has 1 egg and 1 cup of milk. I will let you know what I think.

Corn Bread

1 cup butter, softened
2 packets of Splenda
5 eggs, room temp
1 1/2 cups of almond flour
1/2 cup hazelnut flour (you can use all almond flour if you use cornmeal opt.)
1 teas baking powder
2 teas butter flavor extract
1/4 cup corn bran or course grain corn meal

Preheat oven to 350

Cream butter and Splenda well. Add eggs, one at time, beating well after each is added.

Mix flour(s) and corn meal if using with baking powder and egg mixture a little at a time while beating. Add butter flavoring. Pour into greased 9"-10" springform pan or 9" round cake pan and bake 50 to 55 mins.
Makes 12 servings
Without cornmeal: 3 grams per serving. With corn meal: 5 grams per serving.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-10, 17:27
Patience Personified

Rox, you say in the ingredients corn bran or corm meal. But they are markedly difeerent in nutritional info. Are you using corn MEAL for your calculations in your recipe? Because corn BRAN only has 6 net carbs per (oz) 1/3 cup. So using it wouldn't boost the carb count 5 grams per serving, but rather by 1/2 gram per serving. Now cornMEAL likely would boost it by the 5 g. you cite.

This is why I'm experimenting with the cornBRAN. Because it is so much lower in net carbs per 1/3 cup then its higher carb cousin cornMEAL.

Last month I tried a cornbread recipe that was all mostly almond meal and a little hazelnut meal last month, but it came out tasting more like and almond cake than cornbread. So this time I purposely reduced the nut meals to avoid this cakey taste. And it worked. No cake taste at all in this latest batch. Really just tasted like my real buttermilk cornbread.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-10, 20:24

BF:

Think that I kinda got this thread off topic.

Made the corn bread tonight with only 4 eggs and 1 3/4 cup almond meal, not flour, (I have both, decided to use the meal) 1/4 cup of HWC and liquid EzSweetz to save on the carbs a bit. I also used course ground corn meal as that is what I could find at the store in Bob's Red Mill brand. The taste was good, did not taste like a cake to me or hubs. The texture was good except for the corn meal pieces, little crunchy! The course ground is 23 with 5 fiber so net is 18 divided by 12 muffins, so not bad. Next time I am going to use Albers corn meal which is 24 with 1 fiber for total of 23. This will increase carbs by 5 which will up the carbs a bit but I think will be worth it for the texture issue. I also baked these for 25 mins in the muffin tin with paper cup liners.

Peggy where do I get the corn bran? Do I need to order this also? Is it a little finer texture?
Thanks,
Rox