Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 11:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/202/185 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Southbeach Diet featured on Dateline

On August 15, Dr. Authur Agaston was featured on Dateline NBC. He authured the Southbeach Diet book. It a straight rip off of Atkin's yet he claims that it is not a low carb diet and he knocks Atkins. What really burns me up is that Dateline bought "hook line and sinker" and never challenged him on any of his assertion.

I read some of his book and the website for MSNBC and the website is an excerpt from his book. What's so damned scary about this is the thought that major news organization are potentially treating other stories like this !!!

Don't get me wrong, it is a great diet and a timely update to Atkins(advocates avoiding saturated fats and is a little less restrictive overall) but for him to perpetrate lies over the origin of the diet and claim that it is something that it is not is just plain unconscienable,

Here is a link to the article on MSNBC:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/925287.asp

Here is a link to the homepage for the Southbeach Diet:
http://secure.agoramedia.com/index_...F84F5C81&email=

P.S. After talking all of this crap I am considering the Southbeach Diet for lifetime maintance.. hehe.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 13:31
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I saw that report. It sounds very similar for sure, but more liberal with carbs.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 14:27
Registered Member

Stats: 232/232/190 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I wonder if Atkins Foundation can sue? Is the Atkins diet copyrighted? The whole 2-week thing is a complete copy. Pretty funny!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 20:58
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 110/102/98 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 67%

[QUOTE=C5Man] It a straight rip off of Atkin's yet he claims that it is not a low carb diet and he knocks Atkins. QUOTE]

Where does he knock Atkins? I've read the book and I got the feeling that he has a great deal of respect for Atkins. He just doesn't agree with the amount of fat or the type of fat allowable on the Atkins plan.

After the first 2 weeks SBD is definately not low carb. It encourages you to bring back good carbs into your diet like oatmeal, multi-grain bread, brown rice and barley.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 08:51

Stats: 144/140/125 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

For me the SBD is the answer I was looking for. I didn't feel healthy on Atkins, in fact I gained some wonderful intestinal/digestive problems that still persist. I think this is a good plan especially for someone like myself who doesn't have much weight to lose. My husband in fact thought it was so healthy that he has decided to join me even though he has no weight to lose. IMHO, I think this diet will be the "next Atkins" I don't understand why everyone complains that "this is stolen from Dr Atkins" when a million of these diets (pp,sb etc) are basically low carb too. This is just me though!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 09:04

Plan: low carb, low sodium
Stats: 205/164.5/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 51%

With all the low carb plans, it's hard to say SB is a ripoff of Atkins. What about CAD, Sugar Busters, etc.? I believe they started talking about low carb back in the 30s. It could have even been the 1830s!
That's like saying every modern convenience is a rip off of the original technology.
Let's all just agree that low carbing is the way we choose to eat and live our lives. We need to stick together as Low carbers because most of the world just doesn't get it............yet.
The point is each plan has its fans and detractors. They're all good choices and the operative word is choice.
-J
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 09:36

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick
I wonder if Atkins Foundation can sue? Is the Atkins diet copyrighted? The whole 2-week thing is a complete copy. Pretty funny!

Well, the merits of eating low carb (mainly meats, veggies, and fruits) have been around for, oh, about 100,000 years?

The past 100 years, there have been many who have espoused that refraining from breads, pastas, and other refined carbs were not only good for health, but weight loss as well. I mean, Dr. Atkins' inspiration was a research study he read in a Medical journal extrapolating the merits of eating low carb. In other words, one can say he ripped off the New England Journal of Medicine, or whatever other publication from which he got his epiphany.

Having said that, from what I've seen, I have no doubt the SBD plan is very much based on Atkins work and the popularity forged by the latter; but, that is just good capitalism, in my view.

Regards,

Frederick
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 20:00

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Hey guys I am currently researching the South Beach Diet....here's a great link I found that explains it for those interested...

http://www.prevention.com/cda/featu...80,5345,00.html

Hope this answers some questions....
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 07:23

Plan: Atkins/CAD/Now?
Stats: 216/210.5/110?? Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

I just read a little bit on this diet cuz the doc was on the radio. It sounds JUST like the modified Atkins I've started doing ... on my own. Really makes me mad that Atkins had to suffer all the naysaying and then these others skate in behind him with little to no resistance.