Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-19, 13:56

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

Having just had to return Dr. Bernstein's book to the library yesterday, i went looking again.

Our library doesn't have anything by Dr. Kruse, but has 2 by Fung. (Similar titles, one on Obesity, one on Diabetes. I checked out the 2nd via Hoopla, as sure, I'm both, but diabetes is the "higher priority" issue)

Will get to it in a bit....

(ETA: I have lots of reading to do. When I can get it fast and/or cheap, I'll take that first, for the ease of it, and get to the other titles later. )
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-19, 14:11

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Dr. Kruse has only one book, and it is not new. I would make that one a low priority as he has no diabetes specific info.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-19, 03:41

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The Dr Fung Diabetes book is excellent. It is a organized distillation of his blog posts, which are extensive! Opposite of some authors, he has more information on his website, so it is easier to find indexed information in the book.
There is a thread on the General LC forum with lists of other books members have suggested, ones to consider before Dr Kruse. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=480468
A book published in 2011, I still recommend as the best well written introduction to history of LC, and using diet for diabetes and obesity, is Why We Get Fat . This and the 2010 New Atkins (which has the most science of the Atkins books) are quicker reads, often found libraries, thrift stores, on Amazon used, etc.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-19, 11:07

BF:

Dr. Kruse’s book, Epi-paleo Rx: The Prescription for Disease Reversal and Optimal Health, is highly pertinent to me, since I am dealing with autoimmune and insomnia. But for diabetes, Bernstein and Fung are experts on the subject.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-19, 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
A book published in 2011, I still recommend as the best well written introduction to history of LC, and using diet for diabetes and obesity, is Why We Get Fat .

Isn't that Gary Taubes? (If so, I've read it & given away a couple copies)

Last edited by LiterateGr : Sat, Jan-26-19 at 13:46. Reason: trying to fix how my "quote" is working... or not working
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-19, 04:49

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Yup!! The one and only Gary Taubes. It is the easier and shorter version of Good Calories, Bad Calories and includes Dr Westman's clinic diet in the appendix. A LC diet was described in Gary's first 500+ page book, but readers wanted more details in fewer pages and an actual diet food list, so that was added to WWGF. So many have said to me that little book and the diet turned their health around, saved their life, and reversed diabetes.
The 10 page quick start guide at the front of The Diabetes Code is also a good guide but many want that list...Just Tell me what to eat

The Kindle edition of The Diabetes Code is now only $3.99.
And the Foreward by Nina Teciholz and the 10 page Quick Start Guide at the beginning are freely available on Amazon's "Look Inside " Feature

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-27-19 at 09:42.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-19, 06:05

BF:

“Just tell me what to eat” is probably embedded in everyone’s heads from the Diet Lists of Yesteryear.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-19, 11:47

lol I don't need "tell me what to eat. I already know, and I like playing around & coming up with new favorites.

The goal is LC. If you don't eat carbs, you don't get huge spikes in BG. It's really kinda that simple.

What I loved about Taubes was some of his broader historical perspectives, that threw some light on how we got where we are, today. (Lots of technical information, too, but little of that "stands out" in memory as something new to me.)

What I'm "struggling" with is the technical aspects of diabetes. I'm fairly sure that when my doc gets my results, she'll lose her desire to put me on meds. By medical definitions, I'm well-controlled. (My highest tested BG has been 145. After I was accidentally served a sugared soda, I *remember* testing at 180, but my meter is not backing me up on that. It says 145.) However, they're generally a bit higher than I'd like, especially in the mornings. (I shouldn't be waking up to 135.)

I just added a couple supplements to my routine (cinnamon & bitter melon) to see how they affect things. I've just bought a gym membership, and I need to watch how that affects things, figure out when my best "window" is to use that. (If exercise lowers my BG, I need to do it in the morning when I'm high. If it raises -- which my first visit suggests it may -- I need to go later in the day when my BG is lower.)

I am being frustrated right now with trying to get info on how to best "use" exercise, as so many sites claim, "Oh, you can't exercise on keto/lc". So I'm having to just take my tools and figure it out for myself. (When I was LC, before I was diabetic, I'd eat high-fat before workout, and eat some protein after, to rebuild muscles. As a diabetic, where I have to be more aware of my protein intake and its timing, and aware of what the type of exercise I'm doing does to my BG. (No, I don't think exercise helps lose weight as such. I think it helps my bad knee, however, and I know that long-term exercise helps BG levels, even if it doesn't necessarily lower them short-term) Trying to f
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-19, 13:23

BF:

LiterateGr, I think you have a great attitude, and from coming to this board for years, and wrestling with my own unique challenges, it all comes down to crafting it for yourself, anyway.

There are excellent guides out there, of course. It is very important to figure out the science so we can make informed moves in the right directions. And the first moves are very basic and clear, like you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGr
The goal is LC. If you don't eat carbs, you don't get huge spikes in BG. It's really kinda that simple.

But the longer we do this, and the closer to our goals we get, the more tweaking is needed, and the more personalized it becomes.

I started with Atkins, didn’t do induction, just reduced my carb load to 1/6 of what it was before, and it worked great. Found my first snag was climbing the carb ladder: everything above rung 5 gave me issues no matter the carb count. And I couldn’t increase my carb count to maintain.

Then health issues made me go Primal; no seed oils or artificial sweeters like Atkins. All went well until I had to go Epi-Paleo because of stubborn insomnia and exhaustion; now that I know what is wrong, I cut my carbs way down and am seeing more improvement.

Plus, my Phil Escott Protocol is the polar opposite of two other plans that are highly successful for other people: the Tara Grant Protocol which is too high carb for me, and the Terry Wahls Protocol which calls for 9 cups of vegetables a day.

My point being: good for you being so determined to figure out what works best for you. Because we all have to do that!
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-19, 13:43

"Kinda" was my admission that there's stuff that needs tweaking as you go. And that there are exceptions, and weird physiological stuff like Dawn Phenomenon. (Hence, too, my qualifier HUGE spikes).

But for me, LC is no-brainer. I know what I can eat. I know what I can't eat. I know what I can eat to absolutely KILL hunger. I know what I can eat when I'm in that "a little peckish" stage that means if I don't eat, I'll regret it in about an hour. (Especially if the next meal is still many hours away.) I even know how -- from an LC point of view, which is not quite strict enough for what I'm now facing -- to navigate an unfamiliar menu without doing too much harm.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-19, 13:49

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGr
I've just bought a gym membership, and I need to watch how that affects things, figure out when my best "window" is to use that. (If exercise lowers my BG, I need to do it in the morning when I'm high. If it raises -- which my first visit suggests it may -- I need to go later in the day when my BG is lower.)

It's good to try different things. I found out I can't exercise 1st thing in the morning, but halfway between breakfast & lunch works out well. Half of my exercises are pt for my knee - surprising how much that can make me sweat! In just 4 months my range of motion has improved so much - I'm almost normal. And it's enough to help my bg.