Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-14, 10:50

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Hi Costello,
Hope you are well half way through March.

I weighed in at 178.4 this morning, so I should make my March goal easily - knock on wood.

Quote:
She writes "gluten and casein molecules have a similar amino acid sequence, and so to our immune cells they are often equivalent. When we eat these foods, our dopamine levels rise"

I should have a look at that book. I have a relative with schizophrenia, and one of the treatments that gets floated occasionally is a gluten-free, casein-free diet. So I knew there was some similarity in the molecules.

I should say that my dairy-free diet is also mostly gluten-free. I seldom eat anything with gluten.
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-14, 19:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

There's a lot about schizophrenia and gluten in "The Gluten File". Other psychiatric diseases as well.

I just heard about a lady in San Fran. who has a cafe whose specialty is serving toast. She's got some form of schizo. I thought... "Of all the things she shouldn't be eating, it would be toast." So sad.
  #198   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-14, 20:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I just heard about a lady in San Fran. who has a cafe whose specialty is serving toast. She's got some form of schizo. I thought... "Of all the things she shouldn't be eating, it would be toast." So sad.

I heard that piece too. This American Life?
  #199   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-14, 21:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Seems like I read that mucus strings are caused by candida. I wonder if it could be die-off by your going so low carb?
  #200   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-14, 11:25

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/147.4/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 67%

My father in law had some form of schizophrenia. He got cancer, and then was on a very limited diet that did not include any gluten or other grains. From that point on until his death, he no longer had any symptoms or evidence of the schizophrenia. I've always found that very interesting.
  #201   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-14, 08:55

BF:

I ended March at 176, for a 6 pound loss over the month. I'm hoping to take off 4 more pounds in April.
  #202   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-14, 07:30

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
I'm doing what I call Dr. Ede's diet in addition to staying dairy free. I'm keeping the carbs low (under 30 g net), protein moderate (~80 g), and not worrying about the fat grams.

Great job, Costello! You exceeded your goal by 50%!

Are you still following the guidelines you said above?

I've carefully read all of this thread and decided to go dairy free again in March (except I confounded my experiment by going full AIP so dairy was only one of many things I got rid of). Still, down over 5 pounds for the month. Will try to reintroduce butter but otherwise stay away from dairy for the forseeable future.
  #203   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-14, 08:33

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
I ended March at 176, for a 6 pound loss over the month. I'm hoping to take off 4 more pounds in April.

That's fantastic!
  #204   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-14, 16:42

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Oh geez, just when I think I'm getting all of this info down and proper in my head, you guys say we should LIMIT heavy cream? AND cheese? But I love cream and cheese! I could not do LCHF w/o those things! What to do? ? ?
  #205   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-14, 20:29

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly B
Oh geez, just when I think I'm getting all of this info down and proper in my head, you guys say we should LIMIT heavy cream? AND cheese? But I love cream and cheese! I could not do LCHF w/o those things! What to do? ? ?

Take a look at the high-fat, dairy-free thread.
  #206   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-14, 09:02

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Here is a link to the story about the toast cafe, if anyone is interested. I wanted to know, so I googled it: http://www.newser.com/story/180848/...oast-trend.html

And mucous threads are caused by candida? Wow, I'm going to read up on this. I am shocked at all of the good changes that have happened to me since I quit eating wheat products! I miss them terribly, and will indulge every so often, but wow, it's shocking!

PS--forgot to add, for 14 years I've suffered with awful painful horrible MRSA blisters and pustules and when I quit eating wheat by going LC, I only had one more outbreak, during the first month I went LC! When mom and I went to Disney World and I ate everything, in moderation, remember I said I had the throat clearing problem come right back? Well, I forgot to tell you guys that I ALSO had another outbreak of painful MRSA boils! AND 3 fever blisters on my mouth, in 3 different places!!
  #207   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-14, 09:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You'll never stop missing them if you keep eating them. Cave = Crave.
  #208   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-14, 10:22

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I would say that dairy can be different for everybody, so figuring out what works for you is worth the effort. Cut it all for a couple weeks (although butter is usually ok, as the lactose is pretty much gone by the time cow juice becomes butter) and then add things in slowly. Hard cheese, then cream, softer cheeses, etc. See if it makes a difference. I find everything from cream cheese to sharp cheddar is fine for me, but I can't go near cream without gaining. Go figure.
  #209   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-14, 16:34

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

My advice about going dairy free has evolved (in large part after I ready this entire thread).

Last year I did 3 weeks dairy free except I did continue butter. Several people chimed in that 3 weeks might not be long enough to judge, and also that butter itself could be problematic - while it doesn't have lactose, it does have dairy protein casein which some people are sensitive to.

I went dairy free again in March, this time also cutting out butter. I made a bunch of other changes so I can't know what effect the dairy free has had, but I'm glad I had a clean slate to test reintroductions. Right now it seems like butter will be ok for me (although I am talking about exceptionally high quality butter, not supermarket stuff).

Molly - if you're new to low carb just keep doing the basic rules, for as long as that keeps working for you (working meaning you're happy with your rate of weight loss and what you're eating). When you stop being as happy, reducing or eliminating dairy can be one of the changes you try as you start to fine tune. But no need to fine-tune until there is a problem, in my view!
  #210   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-14, 05:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisMama
Are you still following the guidelines you said above?

I did for most of the month. I had some trouble keeping the protein down toward the end of the month. My recordkeeping has gone to pot too, so I can't give you any numbers, but I'm sure it's easily exceeding 100 grams most days. The weight loss slowed too. I'm back on track the last couple of days, though.

Quote:
I've carefully read all of this thread and decided to go dairy free again in March (except I confounded my experiment by going full AIP so dairy was only one of many things I got rid of).

Confounding the experiment is something I do too. I suspect that for some of us, we need several interventions. For example, dairy-free alone wouldn't help me. I was a vegan for four years and I gained 50 pounds. It has to be low-carb plus dairy-free plus moderate protein. That's how I lose at least.

Quote:
Still, down over 5 pounds for the month.

Good job!

Quote:
Will try to reintroduce butter but otherwise stay away from dairy for the forseeable future.

Butter's going to be the first thing I'm going to add back in - some day. For now I don't want to tip the apple cart. I hope to eventually get to the 150 to 155 range (that sounds so tiny to me, I fear I'll never see it!). If I get there, I'll see if I can add back in a little butter.