Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-19, 07:50

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Great thread. EWG has an app for Android and iphones: EWG Healthy Living that contains detailed information enabling one to scan barcodes while shopping to get food/product information on the go. When scanned, the app provides a detailed health analysis of the food and suggests healthier or equivalent alternatives. Very useful.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-19, 12:39

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I use my Carb Manager app in a similar way: it has a scanning function, and I get an instant macro of what is in a typical serving.

Most of the stuff I put back
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-19, 17:43

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

One thing I buy occasionally is a carton of chicken livers. I know they're not carb free (still only 0.02 g carbs/100 g serving), but the price is excellent (I think the last time I bought them, they were only $1.29 or $1.39 for a pound of livers at a local SE Pa store.)

I usually fry them in butter, and eat a couple of them every day for a few days. I crave them every now and then - not sure why, but I think it might be due to their high folate content - 100 g of chicken livers has 588 mcg of folate (147% RDA). That's almost 3 times the amount in 100 g of spinach.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-19, 05:25

BF:

Ever since I started low carbing in 2003, I would say my grocery bill has not changed. Since my family is two adults with disparate tastes, I don't have to feed a bunch of hungry children or cater to junk food junkies, and that helps a lot.

Since we are both dealing with chronic illnesses and the fatigue it brings, our tender spot is keeping up with all the cooking and cleaning meals create. Frozen stuff has undeniable appeal in such cases, though it is the worst way to get a meal, I think.

Now that I have simplified my menu and my tastes, I find shopping for myself is so easy, and the cooking part is, too.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-19, 07:18

BF:

Expanding my thoughts further, I know I was raised with meat treated like pure gold, and it was never eaten alone... that would be a sign of sinful decadence! It was always streeeeeetched with cheap carbs. Low carb, with vegetables, is much better in that department, too.

But for me, going super low carb is doing wonders for my illness, so eating mostly meat is not the extravagance it might seem, because I eat my slab of beef and I AM DONE, often for the rest of the day. I can have one expensive meal for the cost of three cheap ones.

For money, I'm even, and for health, I'm ahead.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-19, 12:24

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Expanding my thoughts further, I know I was raised with meat treated like pure gold, and it was never eaten alone... that would be a sign of sinful decadence! It was always streeeeeetched with cheap carbs. Low carb, with vegetables, is much better in that department, too.

But for me, going super low carb is doing wonders for my illness, so eating mostly meat is not the extravagance it might seem, because I eat my slab of beef and I AM DONE, often for the rest of the day. I can have one expensive meal for the cost of three cheap ones.

Same here, I am the most satisfied with single piece of steak and it's really the best thing to eat for BS anyway and to stabilize that BS with No swings whatsoever. It's filling in a good way holding me for hours on end. Once in a while I've had a steak for lunch and although that seems
extravagant it shouldn't be because it's our WOE.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-19, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

My go to for cheap is eggs!

If you shop at the 99cent store they have good prices on limited quantities of bacon, ribs, sausage, cheese, half n half, cream cheese. Package of avocados 4 for $1.00. Recently clearanced ripe strawberries to 25c a carton. Loads of veges there. 3 packs of seaweed and flavored and unflavored pork rinds 1.00.

I buy the prepared salad mixes, 3 servings $1.99 they come with salad dressing, I add grilled chicken breast.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-19, 04:01
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

for the last 4 months, I have not had steady income and moved to another locale..
i had to pull my belt real tightly and try to survive on what I did have..
what I found that really worked to my advantage was buying ground beef in family packs.. $2.89/lb for 80/20 ground beef.
out of the family pack of 1.5 lbs of ground beef, I was able to get 6-7 burger patties out of that, coming to either $1 per burger patty or less....
two of those patties a day and it was costing me $2 or less for the meat.
ketchup, mustard, pickles, lettuce, eggs, onions, mushrooms, cheese & bacon were extra.. i changed my burgers up enough to have diversity in taste with my condiments.
It worked.. I was able to get my grocery bill down to about $20/week for one person.... or less...

it was hard. it was discipline. it kept me clean....
and it was good.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-19, 05:30

BF:

Good for you, PilotGal. Actually sounds tasty. May your fortunes look up!
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-19, 06:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
for the last 4 months, I have not had steady income and moved to another locale..
i had to pull my belt real tightly and try to survive on what I did have..
what I found that really worked to my advantage was buying ground beef in family packs.. $2.89/lb for 80/20 ground beef.
out of the family pack of 1.5 lbs of ground beef, I was able to get 6-7 burger patties out of that, coming to either $1 per burger patty or less....
two of those patties a day and it was costing me $2 or less for the meat.
ketchup, mustard, pickles, lettuce, eggs, onions, mushrooms, cheese & bacon were extra.. i changed my burgers up enough to have diversity in taste with my condiments.
It worked.. I was able to get my grocery bill down to about $20/week for one person.... or less...

it was hard. it was discipline. it kept me clean....
and it was good.

This is exactly why threads like this exist - you have done extremely well, stretching that $20 to feed you, especially with enough variety to keep it interesting. I seriously doubt that someone eating low fat or SAD would be able to eat for a week on $20 these days, without feeling like they were starving.

Here's hoping your finances improve soon!
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-19, 09:41

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

My thoughts and experiences exactly. I try to find good quality protein on sale, and I'm eating 1 or 2 meals a day at the same price point or less. The meal(s) is satisfying, delicious, and done. For one who is keto adapted (fat burner), the quantity consumed decreases (generally) without intentionally doing so due to the satiating nature of this WOE. Your body is getting the nutrients it needs while consuming less over the course of a day.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-19, 09:51

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
One thing I buy occasionally is a carton of chicken livers. I know they're not carb free (still only 0.02 g carbs/100 g serving), but the price is excellent (I think the last time I bought them, they were only $1.29 or $1.39 for a pound of livers at a local SE Pa store.)
I've been trying to add more liver to my diet lately. Beef liver was $1.99/lb, but the chicken liver was $3.29! That's more than chicken thighs! To be fair, the chicken liver was from the regional organic producer, and their chicken is usually $4–$5/lb. But that's all the store had. I bought it anyway, because I don't need to tightly control my food budget right now and my goal is adding more healthful things.

I made pâté with the chicken liver and you only need a stick or so of butter and some seasonings for 1/2 lb. of liver. So, maybe $1.50 for the butter, $1.65 for the liver, and say another $1.50 worth of flavorings including salt, pepper, herbs, and liquor (pâté is usually flavored with some brandy or sherry and you need something like that to balance the fat and rich liver flavor). All in, that's $4.65 for four servings--or $1.20 serving. Protein isn't super high, but the fat content will give you tons of energy to keep going (about 9g protein and 40g fat in a serving). I eat it with celery, which is cheap. Maybe add some baby dill pickles to have a tart balance with the richness.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-19, 12:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
I've been trying to add more liver to my diet lately. Beef liver was $1.99/lb, but the chicken liver was $3.29! That's more than chicken thighs! To be fair, the chicken liver was from the regional organic producer, and their chicken is usually $4–$5/lb. But that's all the store had. I bought it anyway, because I don't need to tightly control my food budget right now and my goal is adding more healthful things.

I made pâté with the chicken liver and you only need a stick or so of butter and some seasonings for 1/2 lb. of liver. So, maybe $1.50 for the butter, $1.65 for the liver, and say another $1.50 worth of flavorings including salt, pepper, herbs, and liquor (pâté is usually flavored with some brandy or sherry and you need something like that to balance the fat and rich liver flavor). All in, that's $4.65 for four servings--or $1.20 serving. Protein isn't super high, but the fat content will give you tons of energy to keep going (about 9g protein and 40g fat in a serving). I eat it with celery, which is cheap. Maybe add some baby dill pickles to have a tart balance with the richness.

The ones I buy are conventionally raised, which is why they're so inexpensive. Of course if it fits in your food budget to buy organic, that's great!

Just thinking about them sounds really good to me, so I think it may be time to buy another carton of them soon.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-19, 16:49

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

We eat pretty cheap except for 2 luxuries - home-grown rabbit & eggs. I refuse to figure out how much they cost us per pound/dozen - I'm sure they cost more than store-bought. But I like the taste, the experience with the animals, & knowing I'm eating healthful foods.

And rabbit liver is THE best tasting version of liver. I suppose calf liver might come close. I've also learned to enjoy the kidneys & heart (can't believe I used to give them to the chickens!), but everything else goes to the chickens, magpies, & coyotes.

Almost everything else is on sale, freebies thru local organizations for old folks, and knowing how to cook simple but tasty food.

I also buy organic lettuce because I eat so much of it & share it with the rabbits - they're sensitive to chemicals.

Having a good deep freeze helps me take advantage of sales on frozen vegetables & meat, as well as freezing our own berries.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-19, 09:43

BF:

Being able to have a freezer would help us out a lot. If I sell enough books...