Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 11:08
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Fibro from injection?

Hello Everyone:

I had Fibro, CFS, MCS, allergies, candida, reactive hypoglycemia, and IBS. Anyway, I didn't know I had fibro/CFS because I was so focused on my other problems. Where do you fit all the complaints in, right?

Most of my problems started 7 years ago when I got a cortisone injection in my wrist. I had a horrific reaction to the injection and to add further insult to injury, received arrogant indifference by the orthopedic surgeon since I was a HMO patient at the time. Ironically, he shamed me into getting the ~#$^%$^%$% injection in the first place. I didn't think I needed it.

To make a long story short, that injection resulted in Reflex Dympathetic Dystrophy in my wrist and shoulder because I wasn't able to use my arm. Lifting up a plate would send my hand into muscle spasms. My hand turned into a claw and I wore a sling everyday because I did not have the strength to hold up my arm.

Things got even worse after that, but the happy ending is that I feel 100% better today since I changed my diet from a low-fat vegetarian diet to a LC diet.

Now here's the problem. I see a doctor who practices complementary medicine. Only problem is he doesn't do pap smears. So I went to my traditional doctor (after a 7 year hiatus) and she wanted me to get a tetanus shot. I got the shot and the muscle in my arm (bicep) has been sore for 2 days now. For 2 nights it's been interrupting my sleep due to the throbbing. I'm also experiencing weakness. The injection site is not swollen or red, it's just sore.

I noticed on Dr. Mercola's site that tetanus has formaldehyde, aluminum and mercury in the vaccines. I'm not sure if I'm reacting to the chemicals (I have MCS) or if this is a fibro flare-up.

I'm a bit scared. I was crying this morning for fear that I was going through the same thing as my wrist. I'm not the crying type, and I'm a little embarassed to even admit it. I know it's just an over-reaction, but I can't help the fear. I know I couldn't live through it again and come out of it "intact".

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? I've put cold compresses on the site which helped a little. I already take 700 mg of magnesium so I'm too nervous to increase the dosage without an intracellular magnesium test. Any advice?

LOL! My doctor wants me to get a hepatitis shot as well. I don't think so. I'll take my chances.

Thanks,
Wanda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 13:11

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

Hi! My DH recently received a tetanus shot, and he couldn't believe how sore his arm was, the pain lasted at least three days, and he had a hard time moving his arm. He is really healthy, and not one to complain much, but I was impressed by how painful it was for him. I can't remember if he had trouble sleeping or not.

I don't blame you for being scared, after all you have been through. I would say if it is still really bad after another day or so, talk to your comp. med. doc.

In the mean time, get some extra rest.

Hope you feel better!

-Jess
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 11:52
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Jess:

Thanks for your encouragement. My arm feels a little better today. I think it's getting there. It was a bit scary though. I slept really well last night.

I took advantage of all those emotions yesterday and started my journal. I really wanted to write my story down.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 09:00

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Hi, Wanda...

yes, Tetanus shots hurt terribly! And since you do have fibro etc., the pain will seem worse to you.

Hang in there, it will get better.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 13:44
Mad Scientist

BF:

Thanks Quietone for your encouragement. My arm feels a lot better now, but it was a bit of a scare. At least I took advantage of all those emotions and started writing my journal. It was a great experience and made me feel so much better.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-03-10, 02:04

Plan: personalized
Stats: 240/228/160 Female 69inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

[B] to the person who posted on the other page about candida and die off... get you some enzymedica brand enzymes called candidase ... it has an enzyme called protease in it to gooble up all the die off basically ..it done wonders for me .. but protease has been known to cause excess acid and add to the reflux problem so you might wanna add the acid soothe also by enzymedica to your program ..it is a bit pricey but you only have to take it for a couple of weeks on average ...
but the best way to get rid of candida is to do a complete bowel cleanse with IF#1 and IF#2 ..and make it to where your body is not a host to those critters ...with our typical diet nowadays it sets us up for a host of diseases and reactions /parasites/candida/ IBS and etc ..

I do believe candida and fibro/cfs may be related also based on what I have read ... just look for the book "THE YEAST CONNECTION" by William G. Crook on amazon ..used is very cheap if you can find it

you can low carb for 10 yrs or more and go back to eating carbs and all symptoms come back because the reason you got candida in the first place were not addressed ..I have researched all this till my eyes hurt ..LOL..but have found out a lot ...cleanse your body and the boogers will leave cause they wont have a home of filth to live in anymore ...simple as that .. colon cleansing is da bomb ! your energy will come back by the bucketloads

candida also hate garlic and cayenne as it kills them off ...just so you know . .if you are italian then you are used to garlic if your not then get used to it ...raw garlic !... and cayenne pepper ..it kills critters and is cheap too

blessings to you all
Anne_40
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-03-10, 10:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I remember having a shot that made my arm very sore, but it did go away.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-11-10, 08:22

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcollier
Hello Everyone:

I had Fibro, CFS, MCS, allergies, candida, reactive hypoglycemia, and IBS. Anyway, I didn't know I had fibro/CFS because I was so focused on my other problems. Where do you fit all the complaints in, right?

Most of my problems started 7 years ago when I got a cortisone injection in my wrist. I had a horrific reaction to the injection and to add further insult to injury, received arrogant indifference by the orthopedic surgeon since I was a HMO patient at the time. Ironically, he shamed me into getting the ~#$^%$^%$% injection in the first place. I didn't think I needed it.

To make a long story short, that injection resulted in Reflex Dympathetic Dystrophy in my wrist and shoulder because I wasn't able to use my arm. Lifting up a plate would send my hand into muscle spasms. My hand turned into a claw and I wore a sling everyday because I did not have the strength to hold up my arm.

Things got even worse after that, but the happy ending is that I feel 100% better today since I changed my diet from a low-fat vegetarian diet to a LC diet.

Now here's the problem. I see a doctor who practices complementary medicine. Only problem is he doesn't do pap smears. So I went to my traditional doctor (after a 7 year hiatus) and she wanted me to get a tetanus shot. I got the shot and the muscle in my arm (bicep) has been sore for 2 days now. For 2 nights it's been interrupting my sleep due to the throbbing. I'm also experiencing weakness. The injection site is not swollen or red, it's just sore.

I noticed on Dr. Mercola's site that tetanus has formaldehyde, aluminum and mercury in the vaccines. I'm not sure if I'm reacting to the chemicals (I have MCS) or if this is a fibro flare-up.

I'm a bit scared. I was crying this morning for fear that I was going through the same thing as my wrist. I'm not the crying type, and I'm a little embarassed to even admit it. I know it's just an over-reaction, but I can't help the fear. I know I couldn't live through it again and come out of it "intact".

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? I've put cold compresses on the site which helped a little. I already take 700 mg of magnesium so I'm too nervous to increase the dosage without an intracellular magnesium test. Any advice?

LOL! My doctor wants me to get a hepatitis shot as well. I don't think so. I'll take my chances.

Thanks,
Wanda

My husband was diagnosed with RSD over a year ago. It is at the top level of pain diseases. It involves nerve damage. If a shot damaged nerves in your arm you would have been able to sue for negligence. Do you see a pain management doctor for this? I have Fibro and tetanus shots have not caused this reaction in me. Have you been checked for the RSD spreading? Also if your RSD was "cured" by diet then it really wasn't RSD. Nerves are damaged in RSD and they don't heal or spontaneously regenerate. Hope you feel better soon.