Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-05, 19:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/245/150 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 17%

Wow...I had never heard of this! I'm gonna give it a try.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-05, 19:38

Plan: Atkins & Weight Watchers
Stats: 321/226/180 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 67%

sarah..good luck!
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-05, 20:58
Under Construction

Stats: 295/253/160 Female 5foot 5 inches
BF:50.6%/44.3%/24%
Progress: 31%

Wow, I will keep that in the back of my mind for when I hit a stall. I kept seeing other people talking about the meat and egg fast and I kinda figured it was extream.

Make sure you keep taking your supplements (ie. multi-vitamin, etc) and drink LOTS of water to keep your system flushed out.

Sounds like a plan I could do for a few days but wouldn't want to live on it for very long but maybe a good way to break a stall. Thanks for the info!
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-05, 21:38
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Lily's-mom,

Ooooh, good reminder. Not only because the protein is probably a bit harder on the kidneys, but if you're burning off more fat, you'll need more water to wash it out with. I read a post at COH from a woman who'd just been through the ER thing with her husband--kidney stones. Very persuasive reason to drink that water.

Hey, this MF stuff sounds interesting. I'm down 18 pounds in 5 weeks, which is wonderful, and I'm happy about that, but I can see how going on a blast-it-fast-fast would be a real encouragement. I think it would also help me keep on the straight and narrow, because historically my LC downfall has been to add more and more treats until my loss grinds to a halt. I think that getting on this, say one week a month, would make me really appreciate the freedom and flexibility that I have with regular LC eating, and keep me losing fast enough to stay motivated.

Something to share, and here's as good a spot as any. I had two victories this week:
Victory #1: yet another crisis at work--someone being upset with me for doing something I felt (and still feel) was in the best interests of my students, and in support of school policy. Her differences were understandable from her p.o.v., but I was pretty upset by the way she delivered her message. I came home in a serious funk, and got on the forum, and a few minutes poking around here left me with an amazing insight, which I will share:
Food is just food. The only thing it fixes is hunger and nutritional needs. It doesn't fix other problems. I was still upset for a few more days, until another teacher stopped me to tell me of some of the positive effects he'd noticed as a result of my decision. I thought it over, and decided not to be rattled by the other encounter any more. I did the right thing, and I'll stand behind it. (This sounds pretty unexciting, but I think it's a first for me.)

Victory #2: I can see and feel the effects of the 18 pound weight loss. I know it's going to take another 20 or 30 for it to start being apparent to other people, but that's okay. I actually admired my progress in a full-length mirror today. Usually mirrors bring on shudders and avoidance (don't have one at the apt, except medicine cabinet.)

Enjoy your weekends, folks.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 19:56

Plan: LC..own
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5 feet 11inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Re the meat and eggs eating plan to lose quick!!

Hi ,I am a new comer to this board.I have just started low carbs yesterday and so far so good.Wasn't sure if my eyes were focusing correctly or whether I really had lost this a.m! I will know by tomorrow!
I read your comments with interest and was wondering if youcan have milk in your coffees? I guess if I REALLY had to, I could have it black!I have a copy (rather old) of a low carb diet that was out ouf a magazine many years ago
( probably 25 yrs ago). I will type it out for you.......would really welcome any comments about it and how long people think should you stay on this eating plan? Thanks !

Here goes!

Explanation:
On this eating plan you need not count calories as such BUT, you must not cheat! Nor must you switch diets mid stream.

RULES:
You may eat as much as you like of the foods in list one. Eat not more than 4 helpings from foods in list two ( and in small to medium portions) . Eat NOTHING AT ALL from List Three!

List One(eat freely)
Lean meat, fish , chicken, turkey, liver, kidneys, fishpaste, eggs, ant type of hard cheese, unflavoured cottage cheese, natural yoghurt, vegetables (except those in list two ), melon, rhubarb, olives, cocnut, low-calorie cold drinks, black coffee or coffee with milk, lemon tea, Bovril, oxo, lemon juice.

List Two: ( select no more than 4 items per day )
Fruit ( except dried or tinned ), butter beans, broad beans, potatoes, lentils, peas, dry white wines, coca cola, bread, cracker biscuits, starch- reduced crispbreads, corn jelly, junket, blancmange, rice pudding, tapioca pudding, flavoured yoghurt.

List Three Avoid altogether!!)
Bananas, sweet biscuits, cakes, pastry, bread rolls, breakfast cereals, chocolates, sweets, pasta, Yorkshire pudding, crisps, nuts, beer, stout, cider, sweet and fortified wines, liqueurs, ice-cream, rich sauces, and gravies, thick soups, milky drinks, honey lemonade, sugar and jams.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 21:28

Plan: PSMF 1/1/5
Stats: 268/228/155 Male 66"
BF:48/39/12
Progress: 35%

I am on a protein sparing modified fast. It does work and is similar to what you all are calling a meat and egg fast with one caveat, I don't eat as much as I want whenever I want.

I eat 4-5 ounces of protein, 3 times a day with two small snacks a day, usually an ounce of cheese but sometimes 30 almonds. I keep my carbs less than 10 grams a day and have been in ketosis every day except this morning. I had a HUGE caesar salad and a plate of tomatoes with mozzarella cheese when I went out with my wife last night.

If you have the willpower, are truly dedicated to yourself and have no real medical conditions like kidney, liver or heart problems you could probably stay on it for years.

So far I am down 23.5 pounds in 50 days, equal to 3.29 pounds a week. I feel great after the first two weeks, I have more than enough energy to do normal day to day activities and I am not normally hungry. I just returned from a 30 minute bike ride which covered 5.5 miles at an average speed of 11.5 mph.

I lost less in the last two weeks due to eating double or triple the allowed protein due to being sick.

I take a multi-vitamin, a potassium tablet and 2-4 aspirin a day.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 21:53

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 280/265/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

OK, I lost 6 lbs so far and 3 inches off my waist and 3 inches off mt butt. Today was my 5th day on the fast. I still don't seem to be in Ketoisis (sp?). Anyway, I am going to try to go a few days more.

GQ
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 22:55

Plan: My Own
Stats: 262/235.4/170 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

i have only done this a few times and all 3 times i have i had just came off of a binge .... but anyway, my question to you all is do you guys feel weak while you are doing this?
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 23:31

Stats: 315/260/170 Female 5ft 7 inches
BF:48.1%/33%/25%
Progress: 38%

Actually I thought for sure I'd feel weak doing the meat/egg fast, but you know actually i felt more energetic. This is coming from someone who feels tired all the dang time! For some reason I feel really good when I do the meat/egg thing. Its just hard for me to stick with it more than 3/4 days. I guess everyone probably responds differently tho!

Amanda
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 00:55
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Hi Snookie,

That magazine diet sounds like you could get yourself into some pretty high carb counts to me. For example, four cokes a day equal, I think, about 44 teaspoons of sugar!

I'd suggest that you look into the basic plans that many people find successful--Atkins, the Beach, Protein Power, CAD, and Stillman are all pretty good places to start. (That last one is pretty austere, but it's kind of the granddaddy of LC, and works for some. I find it a good way to start, but after about a month, I switch to a more liberal plan like Atkins.)

I'm not going to get a kick-back for selling books, but I honestly think that list of yours could lead you astray. For example, about the milk in coffee--cream is better. But coffee is questionable for some people, and has to be limited. That's why it's worth reading the books if you can get your hands on these in Kiwi Land.

Good luck, and keep posting with your questions!
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 05:53

Plan: PSMF 1/1/5
Stats: 268/228/155 Male 66"
BF:48/39/12
Progress: 35%

amy411,

In my case, I felt not only weak but irratable and slightly nauseus the first couple of weeks. I registered ketones within 53 hours but still didn't feel good for another 12 days.

It is my understanding that after the body starts feeding on ketones the appetite goes down and the energy goes up. I do agree with this statement in my case.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 08:50

BF:
Talking Good Morning Everyone!!!

Wooooooosh!!!! I lost some more. I am down to 265 now, lost 4 lbs last night!!!

I guess I will just have to stay on the meat & egg fast a bit longer. I can't believe the weight I am losing and the inches. This is the greatest.

I am going to have to take in my favorite pair of jeans so I can wear them without them dragging the floor. Oh joy!!!

GQ
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 10:33

Stats: 315/260/170 Female 5ft 7 inches
BF:48.1%/33%/25%
Progress: 38%

GQueen, you are doing sooooo good! Keep it up and remember lots of water/supplements!

Amanda
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 11:41

Stats: 295/276.4/195 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

I started the meat and egg fast last Monday after reading about it here. I had been stalled for several months and didn't think it could hurt to try. After 5 days on the fast I had lost 8 pounds. I thought the fast was easy because it made my meal choices easier. I didn't have to think about what I would have for my meals because it would always be meat and eggs with water to wash it down. I'm thinking about doing this fast the first 5 days of each month or every other month.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 11:47

BF:

rschmidt13 You are so right. It does make it easy.

I am glad that this is helping people here. I know lots of people that this fast has helped get them through their stalls. I know that it sure has helped me out.

GQ
Closed Thread