Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1156   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-19, 22:21

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

OMG, I SO love a Friday night! Hubby and I are so cozy here in our new nest. He is watching an episode of a series we've been watching that he fell asleep to and I have already seen, so here I am, typing away in my fave cozy corner as he watches.

Lori---Trying to think how long it's been since your injury happened. Around 2 weeks seems about right. I have had 3 fractures of various bones in my life, and I always was so relieved to find it wasn't a break, and that no "cast" would be necessary, let alone surgery.

I think it also led me to think a fracture is just a tiny little old thing, no big deal. But truth is a fracture IS a weakening of the bone, some more serious than others, AND less clear cut in its healing pattern than an out and out clean break.

Know you are just chomping at the bit to have this heal, and every day you're looking for signs of that healing, but at just 2 weeks in w/a fracture, you might be goosing your expectations a bit---and I would also say this is STILL a time to be really cautious w/your actions and whatever exercises you are doing off the net. Perhaps this is why your doc wanted to wait two weeks before he suggested any rehab or exercises for your arm---to see how the healing is going on its own before adding any stress to it.

Anyway, just my thoughts---could be I'm off the mark here, so take what's useful and throw the rest out.

Trig---Oh honey, not to worry. You're in a "wobbly" phase for a bit, and that's OK if not something you'd wish for. As I've said, you eat more on plan and for longer than anyone else here. So If you're having a blip, maybe there's a lesson in it? Maybe not. Maybe it's just a blip out of the zone, something that happens to all of us, and the eventual inevitability of that is something we just have to accept. And then do just what you're doing, start pulling yourself back up on the horse. Sometimes that trip up is harder than other times.

Jaz---The leggings sound great. I think they look good on many if you pair them up with the right thing for your body.

So good that you're on plan as much as you are in this very hard time of transition for you.

Nic:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I'm astounded once again at how much one day can differ from the next. Yesterday I was so blue, won't bore y'all w/the reasons why. Then today, life got interesting again as some unexpected opportunities popped up.

I got a call from an old college friend. Well, more of a friend of friends than a close friend of mine, but I always admired her from afar, and somehow our lives have crossed paths now and then in unexpected ways.

She has written a book and wants me to be one of her beta readers---someone who reads her manuscript and gives general feed back. We had a great chat and she shared a lot w/me in terms of tools and ideas that weren't there back when I wrote my book. She really inspired me. Maybe to go back to my manuscript, maybe to write a new book, but she sure got me thinking.

Meantime I've already started to read her manuscript and I'm enjoying it. She is so smart and savvy in so many ways I knew it would be good, but I'm also seeing some things I can throw out that might be worth her thinking about---which whether she agrees or not reminds me how much I learned about this process and still remember. I just know somehow, it is a grace note to be asked to do this at this turn in my life.

Then, I got a small but fun and unexpected job from former big client. And to top it all off w/a cherry, I went back to a project I had begun to get more styling work. It's a fun one and I don't know if it will work, but I won't know till I try. To much to explain here, but will talk about it in Charleston if it comes up.

All in all for as blue and immobilized as I felt yesterday, today I could hardly contain all my thoughts and ideas about so many things, so many ways to jump back on the "here we go!" train to somewhere new.

AND, I was on plan again today. 5th day in a row. Want to make it on plan thru tomorrow which will make it one week since my last treat night. Hubby is throwing a Sunday night spaghetti and movie night here, so I'll allow myself off plan Sunday night, back on Monday.

I am making my way slowly but surely back to my sweet zone, and finding out along the way what that might be at this point on my path. I tried to jump right back in where I left off, and that did not work. This slower more thoughtful attempt is showing signs of working. YAY.

Last edited by Blue52 : Fri, Feb-22-19 at 22:31.
Sponsored Links
  #1157   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-19, 05:10

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good Morning!

Blue.....sounds like you had an interesting and inspiring day yesterday! Thank goodness for those days after other days of feeling down. It sounds like you have eased right back into your WOE and are doing fab!

You got me wondering about the difference between a fracture and a break, so had to look it up. Turns out the words are used interchangeably. I am certainly glad that my injury was a non-displaced fracture...everything stayed where it belongs! At any rate, I am SO impatient to be over it already and know you are right that I have to not push it. Sigh..... Anxious to hear what the Dr. has to say on Tuesday after xrays. Also anxious to hear if my Vit D levels are optimal. When I go to the Dr., I will be 3 weeks out from the injury.

I was a good girl and wore my sling to bed last night. After a day of not being able to get comfortable with the arm, decided that I should "strap it up" for nighttime. I was able to sleep ok with it, and it's just a bit stiff this morning from being in 1 position all night.

Trig....is it still raining? We're getting rain tonight/tomorrow and then strong winds. They say 50mph plus. I hate wind!

Today I have to run to the grocery store, meat market and drug store. Exciting, right? The next exciting thing to happen to me will be the trip to Charleston! Oh man.....I really need it! I know our days there will fly by and then I'll be so sad that it's over. My next trip after that is when I drive to North Carolina to do the Oak Island lighthouse 10k. I'm anxious for that trip too, but nervous that the 10k is going to be a real struggle. I'll get thru it and then enjoy time with my friend who lives there.

Jaz.....hope your Friday went ok and that you have some down time for the weekend. I think you said you had to do your taxes this weekend? I did ours and we got our refund already...done and dusted. Our taxes are easy to do and I just use TurboTax online.

Nic....are you doing your packing for Phoenix? I forget how many days you'll be there. Think how good the sun is going to feel.....ahhhhhh.

More coffee for me and easing into my day. Enjoy your Saturday!
  #1158   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-19, 07:13

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi all!

Jaz- very cool about Ann Rivers Siddons. I haven't read much of her stuff at all but I loved Outer Banks.

The neighborhoods you are in, if that is representative of them, are horrible. I did a bit in inner city Nashville back in the day and while bad, they weren't as bad as that! I won't lie- I would be afraid to be doing work there alone, as a female.

Trig- Hugs to you Hon. I've been bumping along more off track than on, but that is more typical of me and far less typical of you. You will get back on track, I know you will. I wonder if you are reacting to feeling like things were too restrictive? Either way, hugs to you over the WOE and the cold and the rain.. I know all that is so hard on you. Hope the kid is doing well and being nice to ya!

Lori- Yep, Blue is right. You gotta baby that arm and let it heal. I really don't think it will hold you up in any way in Charleston. You will have gal pals ready to help you lift things or whatever and I think there is going to be a lot of chilling out and hanging out. You can do that for sure!!

Blue- Love that your 'blue' day was followed by a creative, energizing GO day! A good reminder that rough days are followed by good, that stormy awful days are often followed by blue skies and sunshine. I feel like I need to try your DH's spaghetti the next time I made it to your area. I am inviting myself, just so he knows!

How's your little car? Is it back to behaving itself?

•••••••

Not even sure when I wrote last- CASA visit Thursday, did emergency baby babysitting Friday from 9-2. She is such a little dear one. Not much of a smiler but a happy and content one regardless. There is just something about babies, you know? They are just so trusting. I mean, the child hardly knows me from Adam, yet two hours after I get there I am rocking her and singing to her, and watching her eyelids flutter and droop, and then she is asleep in my arms. And a part of me can't get past that, you know, that complete vulnerability that we lose as we get older. By necessity and self protection of course, but still. We were all once that way and it blows my mind. I see it in my own kids, especially looking back over pictures, or of the cousins as they are growing up now, how they go from being so wide open with their joy and emotions and embracing of life to a slow tamping down that starts around 5th grade or so and then continues on into adulthood. Emotions become more private and held back, unbridled joy more measured, that pure freedom of childhood starting to melt away.

Anyway, enough of that. I will enjoy seeing that all again in grandchildren one day I hope, and I will appreciate it with new and clearer (and more rested!) eyes.

Ahem, moving on...

DS has play practice from 9-2 today, and DD and I will be going on a movie date this afternoon/evening to see the new Rebel Wilson comedy. Should be fun. Laid back weekend after a few busy weekends. Next weekend will be INSANELY busy so I will enjoy this one!

My Dad comes in Tuesday, we leave Wed for Phoenix.
  #1159   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-19, 06:18

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

thanks guys for all the encouraging help I sure need it.

Nicco I don't think it is because of the restriction in a way that it is harming me toward wanting to binge or eat whatever kinda thing at all. In fact I feel my best, love being restricted and do fine as long as I am not overwhelmed with food in front of face in a constant battle of sight and smell.

I almost hate to say this but I see where it is coming....I put some blame the family LOL Yea the way they eat is my old style and I get it truly, and I have changed and have to put the 'responsibility' on me but also with them wanting it 'all' and me having to have it in my face all the time, I blame their eating on my 'crashing' back cause I, mean hell, at some point when does the crazy of it being in your face constantly going to make you fall? It is a natural thing at some point I would think.

I do think the restriction does one thing bad in that when I fall I fall very big. Cause I haven't had any of that type of food and when the body gets it back, I go into a sugar madness of crap and the body sinks and craves more. It seems like that to me, if I was a more moderate eater I wouldn't want as much back I think? Honestly it is driving me batty.

Example is they wanted Japanese steakhouse yesterday. I mean I can eat better there but salt intake is horrible and of course after my steak and mushroom I am bloated to the max now. But this is one of my good meals from them LOL This is a food I can cook at home and not bloat ya know but they wanted out and about and eat out as usual...ugh...so at some point in it all I say who cares. When I say who cares it is a bad thing

Like last week kid wanted 'something' I gave her long ago. She was describing it. I want those dough things mom....you can make them mushy or fry them up a bit in butter for crispier and they are pototes inside with cheese and other things. She couldn't remember what they were. But she wanted them.....she kept trying to tell me and said, I think nanny likes to eat them with sour cream and I don't like that...….duh, she was talking perogies. OMG I love those and can inhale a gazillion of them cause I did before LOL. The minute my mind said the word I knew I would be eating them My mind said you can't be around that and not go batshi* crazy and I was right. I haven't made them in a lot of years cause I gave them up but now she wants them. When I made them, omg I had to eat some. The 'ya only live once' type of thinking came into play....I ate 2...then 3 and finished with a 4th. That is food I don't want in the house but when the kid wants them what do ya do? I mean I can't deny the family all the time, cause I do buy less and less for them so everyone benefits in a way from eating better, but at some point!!!!! It all goes down the crapper

And the pizza. omg one of my all time favs from 'my good' places. Hubby wanted that last week. I don't care if they get the crappy one from up the road, that Hunt brothers pizza for a fast bite, I don't want that crap LOL but when they got pizza from my fav place. omg. I saw it and went ape over it. I scraped 2 and ate one whole slice...……..and I knew it then, I was out of plan, out of the mojo zone, out of who cares one bit about sticking to plan etc. I just gave up. Easiest path.

I honestly don't care anymore. Scary thing is I don't see a true reason to keep up the mind torture in a way anymore...ugh...but it is like I know where I would like to be in life on a physical level, but at some point I say I am doing just darn fine and happy in a way without the misery of the rest of it. Like I am thinking where the hell do I really want to be vs. the torture and misery of it, vs. what I do have and how well I could make just that???

My brain is after like 4-5 years of this shi* I am still struggling like this, what is the point anymore? Mentally I can't take the constant thoughts about weight, food, fat, flab, low carb, no carb, scales and more. I am SO SICK of it all.

but I know I can't be that way HAHA so I am struggling and trying to find a way.

I tell ya....bad place to be

plus with this horrible big rain here for days I went down with sinus for days. bad headache, foggy head and a lot more blah nasty to go with it.

chat up later guys.

Last edited by Whirrlly : Sun, Feb-24-19 at 07:26.
  #1160   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-19, 08:04

BF:

Good Morning!

We woke to rain...big surprise. This afternoon/tonight we are supposed to get high winds...50-60 mph. I hate wind so much, especially when it is dark and you hear the horrible wind and can't see what's going on outside. Freaks me out. I would not do well living in a tornado prone area....oh no.

I ran my errands yesterday, so today I'm just staying put. I'm not sure how to light a fire under my butt to get back to walking, at least. Just when I think the shoulder is getting better, I have an "achy" day like today. Sigh......I am so over this mess.

Trig......I could have written your post. These last few weeks, I have ventured into the "just don't care anymore" area too. Like you, I know I can't go there long term. I have to care or things will go VERY bad. Not to say I won't have times of eating stuff I shouldn't, but most of the time I have to be vigilant. I've been on this merry go round since I was about 10 years old. Fat kid, starved it off in my teens, regained in my 30's, lost it again....round and round. That's almost 50 years of this crap!

OMG....perogies!! I freakin' love them! I haven't had them in forever. It would be so hard to have a kid who wants the good stuff....you can't deny her. Having it in your face all the time would be torture, but what can you do?

Sorry I don't have any words of wisdom. Just know that I'm right there with you. Fighting the good fight. Misery loves company, right?

Jaz.....I worry when we don't hear from you. I hope all is well and that you're just enjoying some down time.

Nic....just about time to zoom to the warm weather. YAY!

Blue....hope you're having a good weekend.

Well, I'm just going to sit here and pout today. I'm so tired of being a gloomy Gus. Need to pull myself out of this funk.

Hugs to you all.
  #1161   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-19, 09:11

BF:

that is just it Lori....you hit the main trouble...years of this crap and I am almost over it but I also know I can't be over it.

in all honesty for all out there, how does one win this?

I don't got the mojo anymore at this age to care or try as hard as I have in the past. Done deal in my eyes almost without some 'extra' ummfft that someone else can tell me.

does it boil down to what does one want in the end and what you are willing to do for it? I think it does cause at this point I am fine where I am and if I can have things and not go higher, cause I know I can hold at a certain weight and no go above cause I never have in all these years, just make peace with that and live great? without the dieting mind thoughts?

I swear this is sounding better and better to me.

I don't know...….just spouting off in lala land
  #1162   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-19, 15:52

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

First and foremost- I am good- just got behind the 8 ball busy in crap that had to happen.
Second:

TRIG((((((((hugs))))))))))- I am so happy you are coming here and writing out what you feel. I know that a natural feeling would be to just clam up and be still and say nothing. I am so happy you are not doing that.
Everyone of us CAN RELATE to EVERYTHING you are saying!
You are not going bat sh*t- this is hard. And even harder when you have to cook for those that don't want to the same for themselves.

I actually dated a guy for a few times- you want to know what the deal breaker was? He was overweight (I can handle that)- but he didn't care and ate garbage. I did the fast forward thing in my head. We actually had conversation about health and all. his thoughts- "ya gotta die of something"- NEXT. I get it. It's hard

But here you are. I would love too give you the magic wand. If there was one I would have used it. But I did lose my weight married with kids that ate crap. For ME I had to say I just don't care what they eat- I am worth it. And so are you my friend! You gotta get to a place that no matter what anybody else does does you are in it for you and you alone! BUT you are not alone! We are here for you, science supports you! You are frustrated I know! WE have all had out F*it days. But lets holds hands and walk out of that!!!!!!!

You are not CRAZY!!!!!!!- What is crazy is all the information you know and the zombies walk around and tell you different! Lets tap in 3 weeks! Over vodka and Diet Coke!

NIC- I love what and angel you are. you have the biggest heart I have ever seen. you are right we lose that vulnerability the older we get. May you never lose the willing to give!

I hope you have a super time in AZ!!!!

LORI- I SOOOOOOOO miss you when you are on one of your trips and you and I don't fight for morning post!
I'm so sorry your arm is such a hang up! you are so active and I know you are missing much of everything . I doubt highly your booty is bigger than mine. that should give you all a yeah- my booty is not the biggest- I will take that prize! HHAHAHA- Whatever it is what it is!. This big butt girl is still coming.

Girl I would work the help from the hubby!!!!!!!

BLUE-- I had smile from one end of face to the other just seeing you run around with THE WIND UNDER YOUR WINGS !!!!!!!
I am so happy for you!!!!!! What a difference a day makes! I am SOOOOOOOOOO thrilled.- I owe you a drink too! So we concelebrate all that in 3 weeks!
I hope you prepared your rubs for a bear hug!
You GO GAL!!!!!!!!!!!!
------------------------------------------
You ladies are just the absolute best! I'm serious. You know I was in a bubble bath today thinking if I could buy anything in the world what would it be if money no object. What I picked can't be bought.
It hit me like a ton of bricks.

I was having a moment of bubbles and just reflecting on what is the most important thing to me. TIME- it can't be bought, bartered. However, it can be shorted with choices we make.
Here is my thoughts regarding time /lifespan. We are all given a certain MAX allowable days. Only the universe knows. But we have the ability to cut those days short- by lifestyle I won't go into. But it is choice.
However, I do think we have the ability to live a high quality of life base on choices as well.
What got me on this mind thinking was a friend of mind that had a birthday a few days ago and was bitching about turning 40. that is 13 years younger than me. Wow- how much would I pay for an additional 13 years Priceless ?????????

I hope you don't find this a morbid post- to the contrary. What can I do within my power to increase the quality of the time I have. Doesn't matter if it's 10, 20 , 30 years or 6 months we never know. But this I do know. I have been seeing some of my patients in real time face to face. I do not want to end up in that position, due to poor choices. I am not going to go here about the job.
Just to say I think we underestimate what we can do for ourself.
Also to say- always tomorrow............ well........

I got my taxes done. Broke even within 10 dollars. Truly it was 10 bucks. By the time I paid Turbo Tax- I owed 10.00 to state.

Totally on plan today. I am only going to talk about in the moment. I can't say about tomorrow- but today, it was good.

The sun finally came out!!!!!!!!!!! I should be cool and finally sun for the next few days with rain rolling in Wed.

I am thankful everyday =for this this and you ladies!
Tonight, watching a Star is Born! - can't wait. I did watch Rhapsody last night. About the start of QUEEN. It was good, and sad.

BLUE- I need you to edit my posts!!!!!!!!!!-
  #1163   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-19, 17:16

BF:

Thought I'd write a post before I blow away! The wind has started in earnest. Great, just in time for it to get dark. If it gets too bad, I'll have to sleep downstairs in my recliner as I won't be able to lay in bed listening to our tin roof rattle! EEK!

Great thought provoking posts today. I think I've reached a point in my life where it's more about what I can do and how I feel, rather than how I look or what size my jeans are. I mean, I have saggy, wrinkly skin on my upper arms that I absolutely hate and am developing a turkey neck. Good grief. I have to keep telling myself that none of that matters. If I can get over this shoulder thing and get back to running and yoga and feel good......I'll be happy.

This is not to say that I'm going to start living on junk....no way! My goal is to eat for health, and to me, that means eating low carb.....most of the time. I will never be super strict & perfect. If that means I stay where I am and never lose the 20 or 25 lbs I think I need to....so be it. As long as my lab tests look good and I feel good, I'll count myself as blessed and happy.

Jaz....I can only imagine the things you see when visiting patients. When I see the shape that DH's cousin is in...OMG. She has not done herself any favors with the way she has eaten. She was never obese, but she does not drink water. She drinks nothing but OJ and caffeine free diet Pepsi. Ugh. She must have good genes because she has beat 3 or 4 different types of cancer and has had a bad heart for years. She'll be 90 in March.....amazing. She spends most of her time in her bed...gets up a couple times a day and makes her way to the bathroom & kitchen with a walker. It's sad. Her mind is good....she does a lot of research and writing on the history of our town etc. She has been an active member of the community for her whole life, so it's sad to see her basically bedridden. Seeing how she struggles makes me want to do all I can to not end up in that situation.

Well, that was a long diatribe! All that to say.....the number on the scale be damned! Eat the food you know is good for your body 80% of the time or better and stay active.

The support all of you give goes a long way in helping keep me going. I look forward to your posts each and every day. ((Hugs))
  #1164   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-19, 20:35

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Want this post to be to all my pals here.

In some way or the other Feb. has been a challenging month for all of us. Lori is nursing an injury and straining at the bit to get back into the exercise she loves. Jaz lost the job she thought she had, and has been thrown into a whole new and difficult work world. Trig is living in the belly of the beast, with a carb loving family she loves too much to put her eating issues on their plate, so to speak. Nic is wrestling with a young whipper snapper who like others his age, and one I once wrestled with, is going to really put a parent to the test. And after all the drama and work and business of the move and settling in, I find myself trying to figure out what my new passage is all about. I struggle with the up and down of it, and the new territory of it.

So, something in the stars or whatever, for all of us right now. And as I said in a post not long past, I can't think of a time when we've all gone so wobbly at once!

And I love that we're all being honest about it. And I think there is something so meant to be about our now really soon come trip together...the chance to chat this out w/out having to type it all out.

Because no matter how frustrating it can all be when it comes to our woes, we ALL know we can't just let go willy nilly or we will be in far worse shape than we are now w/our imperfections and our inability to stay in the zone this very minute, every minute.

If we let go we will all REALLY balloon up. That's why we're here to begin with, and that's why we need to be here and why we need each other.

Maybe as time goes by, our goals will change---as Lori stated so well in her most recent post---not about our dreams of a certain weight, but rather about our health and our mobility.

Nothing ever stays the same, and we can't expect our woes to either. We are all being put to one test or another right now, and we are answering to that not perfectly, but the best we can, day by day by day.

I saw this great sign the other day, it said:

"Don't always believe what you are thinking."

Man, that just hit me to the bone. We may THINK from day to day that we are losing the battle, on whatever, and then the next day, grace arrives and we realize we haven't lost the battle yet.

So right now we're all struggling w/our woes, not as comfortable as we'd like to be in this, or as slim, or as whatever. But we are sharing it and supporting each other and hoping better for each other.

And that my pals, is a lot of power we have going on between us here. I do not underestimate it.

Last edited by Blue52 : Sun, Feb-24-19 at 21:23.
  #1165   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-19, 04:29

BF:

Good EARLY Monday morning!

I slept fairly well until the furry alarm clock went off at 3:30. I guess the wind had her restless too. So, here I sit watching Frasier reruns and drinking coffee.

I have had an epiphany of sorts. Ever since I hurt myself, I have just been agonizing over not being able to train for the 10k(6.2 miles) that I am signed up for in April. It is going to be a wonderful weekend at the North Carolina shore with a friend who lives there. I am SO looking forward to it and the thought of not being able to go is totally depressing. When I woke up this morning it was on my mind and suddenly I thought....so what if I can't do the 10k? I can still go and spend the long weekend with my friend and have a great time! Will it be disappointing to have to pull out of the race? Sure, but it is what it is. It seems silly to think it never dawned on me before that I could pull out of the race, but still go. What a doof! So, if things don't work out to be able to get ready for the April race, I will wait until I'm recovered and start training for the half marathon in September. I'm hoping that my mood will improve significantly now that I've given myself permission to skip the race, but still go have the fun.

Meanwhile, I have Charleston to look forward to! YAY! In planning my packing, I have to wait and see if I'm able to put on a shirt that goes over my head! I only have so many button up shirts. Let's see....I have 2 weeks to get more mobility with less pain....fingers crossed. I'll have to have a dress rehearsal before I pack to make sure I can dress myself!

I doubt that I'll venture outside today. The wind is fierce and there is nowhere I need to go. My cleaning lady is coming this morning and then I'll make a nice dinner for DH. That will be my day, and it's ok. No more guilt about all the time I'm spending sitting on my duff while my body "fixes" this arm. Beating myself up mentally is not helpful.

Thanks for listening to my "odd" thoughts this morning. Hope you all have a good Monday.
  #1166   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-19, 04:34

BF:

Thanks for great thoughts on all this guys!

I guess it does boil down to choices. Choices that will improve your daily life or take from your daily life.

I never thought of it so simple as that :0

I think a lot of the info thru the years made me think there isn't a way to win this war.....maybe there is and I am overthinking the whole thing.

I gots me some tough thinking to handle here LOL

I know one thing, with smart chat with you guys I can find a solution that will fit into a daily life routine I am sure. Time to take some pressure off myself and regroup it all.

appreciate it all!

chat up later and let me think thru a few things.
  #1167   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-19, 06:02

BF:

Good morning ladies!

BLUE- I enjoyed your post! I am wondering where you saw that sign and what context was it in? I like the content. "Don't always believe what you are thinking."
It is interesting to think about the lies we believe about ourselves that are not true. I take that saying in that context. We as women I think are more prone for negative self talk than men. Why is that????

So you know that I have been going to Pottery Class. Well there is a little shed in the yard beside the side door to get into class. Somebody painted the little shed bright red- then on large letters wrote: EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE OK! "
I am going to take a picture of it- I will share it when I do. At first I didn't like the saying. Why would somebody put such a blanket statement on the little shed? Maybe things are NOT OK with people I was thinking as I pass it. But the more I have passed it every Sat. I like the message.

Again I think it goes back to self talk. Maybe IF I embraced "EVERYTHING WILL BE OK"- my attitude might be a bit brighter. I will admit I do look for the little shed now. I really said to myself the first time I passed it- HOW DO YOU KNOW??????- it is sorta funny now that I write this out.

But Blue bring up a point- at least how I take it. Self talk. We are spending alot of time of late in self talk. At least I am- let me speak for me. So thanks for bringing it to the forefront!

LORI- - ahhhhhhh yes older homes and the "creaks" of homes. It instantly brought back when I would spend the night with my grandmother and the storms rolled in. Her house creaked because it was older too! It always freaked me out. I never got it when she said a house "settles". Even now, I don't get "settles". I think if it is making noise it needs fixed!!! HAHAHAHAH

Oh on your DH cousin! I think it is really really sad to see people in that condition or worse! I just think as well I never want to end up like that. I wonder how much of that is due to diet. Alot if you look at the studies in the BLUE ZONES. I think I also should take a look at those! Great point about lack of water and juice- liquid sugar! Takes it's toll.
You are right- moving, good food and sleep do wonders for people.
Let's not forget about stress. People forget how detremental stress is. Finding a good way to work that our is -WORKING OUT! You do that so well.
Speaking of- how is the arm doing?

NIC-
I know you are prepping to hit up AZ! You are the travel gal this year! I think it's pretty cool to have the time to do whatever! You are going to be an empty nest before you can blink really!!!!!

Have you and the hubby given that much thought? It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on that!

TRIG
- How are you my friend! I am very happy you are writing stuff out here! This is WHY we are here! Agree with BLUE- I love the honesty. I will never forget what someone said to me once. "Welcome to the human race"- WHAT?!?!?!?- It was said to me in the context of we are not perfect people. We all have hangups and struggle. Thats what makes us human!

But the back and white thinking can get us into real trouble when it comes to eating. I have struggle with that too! But I think that goes back to what I was eluding to at the top of this post. Self talk! What are we telling ourself!
I hope you are doing better with some sunshine today and tomorrow! Get outside and enjoy yourself while the kiddo is in school!
--------------------------------------------------------
So, I am guilty for staying up late an watching the OSCARS. I totally think " A Star is Born" should have walked away with best picture, and acting! It was a fabulous movie! I actually didn't expect to like it as much as I did!
I saw Black Panther, and Rhapsody. They were good too- but I didn't think as good as Star is born! I never saw the original so I have nothing to come it to. I know Barbra Streisand was in that one and it made her career!

Oh...... back to the grind. I am struggling with it. I know, I have heard you all. I need to take something positive from it. But ya know what- money means nothing if you aren't happy. Well it means something, but being happy is more important. Sure I need to pay my bills. I still have a minute to pay off a few things before I take a pay cut and move on. So it is what it is. Might as well read the little shed: EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE OK!

I did have a little blip in my WOE last night. It is completely stalling anything. I too am having a issue getting back up on the WOE and STAYING there! I am not sure what the deal is! Welcome to the human fighting spirit.

Great day all
  #1168   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-19, 07:15

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Trig- Pierogi! That story made me smile. My DH is half Italian/half Polish and his Grandma used to make homemade pierogi. He used to call them "peedoggies" He hated them, in fact he hated pretty much all Polish food.

I vacillate sometimes too between "F it" and the fact that if I really stop caring, then I won't be able to do all the things I want to do with my next 30 years. That sort of helps keep me on track. I want to be active, I want to travel, I want to be a good and fun grandparent. I try to keep reminding myself of that.

Lori- We have had the high winds too and they were BAD yesterday afternoon and last night. Poor Henrietta/Henry was nearly born clear off the front stoop and she's weighted! Seems somewhat better out there today but still windy.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the realization that you had about the 10K and it is SO RIGHT. You will absolutely still go and have the most wonderful time. You can support your friend, celebrate with her and enjoy yourself. There will be plenty more 10K opportunities out there to come.

Jaz- Yes, we have to make the most of our years, both currently and in preparation for the future. I have seen it too, clearly, through my MoW work. Age matters much less than activity and conditioning and WILL. Heck, my Mom is an example of that. She is around 76 and has been old for about 20 years. My Dad on the other hand is like 83 and he is much younger seeming. Age is relative!

I too loved A Star is Born. Excellent flick. Didn't see Bohemian Rhapsody but DH and DS17 both liked it. DS17 especially liked it.

Blue- Yep, love what you wrote and you are so right. And the good news is that I really don't believe any of us are giving up. I certainly tend to go off the rails, possibly the most often of all of us, and can go a week or two at a time when I do, but I find my way back again and again. We all do, whether it was from one meal, or a night, or a weekend, or a week.. or whatever!

I also really like that quote that you shared. And Jaz with her shed. Jaz, your shed reminds me of this song, which I will definitely blast to get me through some crappy stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSzYUf2-GSs

•••••••••

Happy Monday you guys, from a nerd who likes Mondays.

My Dad comes in tomorrow and DH and I leave Wednesday for Phoenix! Wednesday to Saturday, then Sunday is NYC to see Dear Evan Hansen, which is a family Xmas present.

Spoke with my Mom about 45 minutes yesterday about the upcoming wedding in April. Her head and memory is all over the place so it was like trying to rein in a bevy of cats. lol I think I might have gotten her a touch settled in but who knows? I am still not sure why in the world she is actually doing this, but not my circus, nor my monkeys.

Oh, my Dad called yesterday and his sister (who lives here in MD and has Alzheimers) is failing and is in hospice care now at her Alzheimers home. So that is sad, also a relief but still sad. I hope my Dad will be here in time to see her.

Went to REI yesterday and got my first items toward my AT goal. A pair of Trail Runners, a pair of Darn Tough hiking socks and a pair of sock liners which are supposed to reduce blistering. I'm taking those things with me to Phoenix to test out on Camelbak Mountain. The great thing about getting shoes at REI is if they don't work well for me, I can return them, no questions asked. So I'll spend some time over the next month or two breaking these in and seeing how they do, and if they don't work I have plenty of time to try several more pair of shoes.

No major plans today- off to do shopping and make sure DS has some good snacks and my Dad has some stuff I know he likes while we are gone. I am going to make meatballs and sauce, and also some taco meat, and that should take care of some meals while I'm gone for them. I've purposely kept the last two days relatively clear so I can get ready with low stress.

Sort of climbed back onto the wagon yesterday and planning to be fully back on today and ready to ride.. sort of a mishmash plan but any plan is better than none!
  #1169   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-19, 09:17

BF:

Love your smarts on letting your mom have her own circus without you in the group dynamics. I bet that gives you big peace of mind letting it go...smart lady on this one

So sorry about your aunt failing. Sad times in life but life sure as heck moves on for all of us. I hope it is ok for your Dad and he makes it there to check in with her.

I like what you said Nicco….any plan is better than nothing.

I am in nothing phase. I know I need a path. I haven't found it yet being one that can help me long term, but then again, long term? what will that be for any of us.....today is all we got so I have to think literally day by day now. I am so much an organizer control freak planner for long term.....it is time to let that go. Day by day must be a motto I know adopt.

just chatting out stuff in this thread is helping me so much. You guys rock!
  #1170   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 07:14

BF:

Good Morning!

LORI- you and I seem to cross post alot in the mornings! I so wanted to sleep in- I am already dreaming of the weekend! Seriously! I too think you are being wise about the 10K! - I know that for an antsy mover and shaker with working out this time is tough. But you will heal- and you can walk! Walking needs props too!!!! It's considered the best form of excersize. I know compared to bootcamp or a 10K it may seem lame. But you might be surprised.

I too am thinking about what to wear in Charleston. It is SPRING HERE!!!!! Most of the flowering trees are in full bloom and the daffodils are everywhere. We are in the high 50/low 60's and it will go up a little in the next couple weeks. I am thinking 60's low 70 mid March off the coast for sure!!!! That my friends is shorts and HAHAHAHAH

NIC- - can't wait to hit the link to hear the song! If I do it know I will love what I have written. But can't wait to heat it. I too think about long term health. If you consider 20-30 years long term. It is over in a blink. Seriously. You know what brings it really home for me? MUSIC!!!- So I will listen to a sone- and the announcer will be like you know the 90's are now considered CLASSIC ROCK MUSIC!!!!- WHAT???!?!?!I don't FEEL that old! Like you said- it's relative! I will always be a young heart!

I am curious about the shoes you bought. I have NEVER heard of any place you can wear them - let along for several months and return them!!! REALLY??? I am going to google them!
Sure hope your dad makes it to see his sister! That is sad and a relief as well. I lost both grandparents to that horrible disease!

You mom's wedding. I know this is going to sound like I am sticking up for her. I am not, and I know there is "something" there on both your ends. It may be similar to me and my mom.
But I will say as the only single gal on this thread- I would love to have a partner as I age. There is something about having a compainion, husband, partner whatever there for you in the "golden years". None of us really want to be alone as we age. So maybe that is what is driving your mom. She is in her 70's- she is aging. It is frekin scary! I see it every day in my visits. People especially the elderly are scared. It is better for people to go there that stage with somebody. Maybe he may not be your pick, but he is for your mom.
As you said- not your circus. But I did want to share that. This we can take off line with drinks in hand and swap stories!

Boy we might need a few days with everything we all want to share!
Safe travels my friend! Hurry back- then it's Charleston!!!!

TRIG- - I am so glad you are coming to Charleston. Boy this trip could not be better planned. I think we all need the support of good friends, chatter, laughing, and just to BE!!!! - no expectations! Just a step out of the day in day out to explore and have some fun!
Lift each up and get our MOJO back!!!!

I know that you are sick of the WOE- We are all stumbling right now it seems. But I truly think that just taking everyday is the way to go. Just stay on the WOE as you see fit for JUST TODAY!!!! If you want something off plan- FINE have it, TOMORROW! But today, stay on plan.
I know our head is the biggest player in our success. We need to be in it. But if we break it down- to JUST TODAY, it's more manageable.
HANG IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!! Get out and enjoy the sun you will have today! ((((((((( OXOXOXO))))))))))))

BLUE- I know you are going to LOVE some warmer weather and SPRING, as you are still socked into winter! Dress for the lay of the land! Have you ever been to Charleston? It has a French feel to it. It reminds me of New Orleans- only with a upper class feel to it. It is also more "putting on the Ritz" with some of the stores! But there are a ton of FREE things to do! I am coming for the friendship and not the stores!
I know know of us are going to do a hog wilder shopping spree. If you are I will WATCH!!!!! My $$$$ are going to shrimp- lobster and vodka high end! What else does one need?!?!? HAHAHAH

How are the projects coming? I can't waiting to talk with you about some idea's going around in my head. Just one creative to another! I to want to pick your brain about writing! I am pretty sure that is going to be my next endeavor. I have the story in my head- it has been floating there for several years. I just need to put in on "paper". Like we use paper anymore! The good old days with a fresh pad of paper and a ballpoint pen!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I am taking the advice I gave TRIG- just for TODAY, I am staying on plan. JUST TODAY. I am thinking grilled chicken or a turkey burger. I have both ready to use. Or I can do "something with ground turkey".

I have one visit today and my "new" ex co-worker manager is now my manager. I helped to hire her- and was a manager before she was. She was brand new when we flew together out to MN last year. I gave her all kinds of tips for being successful. It has gone to her head.

There are a few other things I wanted to say- but they are not that important right at this minute.
I am counting down the days as well. I surely hope you are all good with coming!!!!!- don't worry about being the "fat one"- I got that covered for you! I say that not in jest! There is a story for that too! I know I have shared it once or twice!
Just don't dump me when I get HOT!!!!! -

Ok ladies have a great day
Closed Thread