Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#466   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 18:43

Plan: Lo-carb/calorie counting
Stats: 148/125/125 Female 64 in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithnj

I imagine the truth is, when you are very obese-- you feel like his question is the un-asked question of polite people around you everywhere, every day. Perhaps you feel silently judged....and if people would just say what they were thinking-- then you could speak up for yourself.

I have to admit that I am guilty of this. I HAVE wondered how that person got that size. I've never been obese, and I DO wonder sometimes how that happens to people to that extent. I have a better understanding now, but on some level I have a hard time relating to it. I don't really think that I'm judgemental in wondering about how it happened. It's more plain curiosity or seeking to understand it.

I know that some people were really insulted by the OP's question and I'm sorry if I've angered anyone - but it IS a question that probably lots of people ask themselves.

Faith, I really enjoyed your post.
Sponsored Links
  #467   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 13:15
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/keckwick
Stats: 282/248/210 Male 73
BF:%/34%/25%
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls923
Levi...you have a lot of posts to catch up on...Where did you go????

He was trolling in my opinion. What a stupid question to begin with. The question was something an infant would say because he did not know any better.
  #468   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 15:50
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

I think most people who are obese wouldn't be obese if they knew how they got that way and had a healthy, sustainable solution to the problem.

A more productive question would be to ask people who were once obese but have achieved a healthy, sustained weight loss how they achieved that.
  #469   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-07, 16:04

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 405/350/220 Male 6'0
BF:
Progress: 30%

Poor dietary choices beginning in the home, advertising, agro-business, emotional problems, addiction, fast food, cost of food vs. junk, arrogance, tradition, culture...a few of the things that cause us to overeat. But in the end it all comes down to this: food is cheap, fun, and instantly available. It was neither cheap nor instantly available until my parents' generation. When we have the will and the means, nothing can stop consumption. to stop and say no is to be different when everyone else is saying yes. Soon, a majority of the US and other countries will be overweight, and thin will be the exception. A good thing? No way. An inevitable thing? It appears so. Eating less is now a personal decision rather than an economic imposition.
  #470   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-07, 18:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/225/145 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 0%

I got fat due to my health problem and insulin resistances and NO money to find a qualified health doctor willing to help me out... Our society has A LOT to do with out weight. Some just dont realize the connection.
  #471   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-07, 20:15

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

When I see an obese person in a wheelchair I wonder if they're in the wheelchair because of their obesity or if they're obese because they're confined to a wheelchair! Not judgmental, just curious.