Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#406   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-16, 13:26
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Mary Kay used to have (may not anymore) a yellow wrinkle concealer in a bottle (liquid) I would put on under my foundation if I had any dark patches. It's fairly "drying" PG, so I only used it around my eyes. It was a very effective concealer. If you know any Mary Kay handlers in your area? You could spread it with you fingers to conceal dark circles; you could feather it right into the wrinkles themselves with a fine artist/makeup brush and totally hide wrinkles. The stuff really worked well!!!! But the chalky pale yellow worked with my very pale ivory to slightly pinkish complexion/coloration. Might not work the same on other complexion colors as well.
Sponsored Links
  #407   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-16, 08:33
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Thanks, Peggy.
I'll see what I can find.
i tried the powder again, this morning... but not below my eyes... that's where the powder gets into the creases and makes the wrinkles prominent.

Anyone else know what BB is?
  #408   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-16, 09:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

As I was doing my usual morning routine of wash face, put on lotions, etc, I was thinking about the things that change as you approach and then pass 60, at least if you are female. I have no basis of reference for what happens as a male.

Prior to 60, you start growing hairs where hairs never before grew: at the edges of your upper lip, on your chin. As you pass 60, they also grow under your chin, where they're very hard to find with a tweezers. But OH MY when you find them, and see how long they are? Mortifying.

Somewhere around 60, you start to realize that it's not just the hairs on top of your head that are turning gray. It's private hair. It's the hair in your eyebrows, so that you look as though you are missing patches there.

If you are lucky enough to weigh a semi "normal" weight, your hands start to look like old lady hands with one or more misshapen fingers. I have three: my right index finger tips off to the left at the last joint, and both pinkies, which have always been a little crooked--it's genetic-- now look like matching new moons, with the added bonus of oversized last joints.

The wrinkles. Ah, the wrinkles. I don't know about anyone else. But mine started in my 30's. I kept them at bay, a little, with lotions and potions. And they're still not terrible. But up close, I have them everywhere. And jowls. And the aforementioned eyebrows are closer to my eyes than they used to be. Luckily, they are slightly hidden by my glasses' frames. Which, unfortunately, hold glasses without anti glare, by doctor's orders, so that I need to take them off for photos, or risk blinding the photographer.

Ah. What else? Hip joints that really, really do not like being in a squat for very long, not even long enough to pull a few weeds.

It's not that any of these is debilitating. Or that I cannot do, pretty much, whatever the heck I want to on most days. It's just that the combination of all of them makes me truly realize, even more than having a Medicare card, that OLD is really coming.

That I WILL be a little old lady. So, I need to start working now to define that for myself, before it defines itself for me.
  #409   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-16, 09:57
Registered Member

I still don't know what BB means.
  #410   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-16, 10:04

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default MickiSue BB

Bobbie Brown? MickiSue inquiring minds want to know.
  #411   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-16, 10:15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by never2late
MickiSue inquiring minds want to know.

curious george is popping out of the woodwork, MS...
you really need to come clean and tell us the secret of BB.....

Big Brother??
  #412   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-16, 11:55
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
BB creams are nothing new, but WTF is BB cream really? According to dermatologist Sung-Jae Jung, MD, founder of BB staple Dr. Jart+, beauty or blemish balm (BB) "moisturizes, protects, and corrects," consolidating your skin-perfecting products into just one thing. How does BB cream differ from foundation and tinted moisturizer? According to Jung, tinted moisturizer hydrates and evens out the complexion with minimal coverage and foundation covers the skin with a layer...
Here's just one opinion.
  #413   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-16, 16:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Beauty Balm, as Glenda says.

From what I can tell, the difference between BB cream and tinted moisturizer is a bit more coverage, but not the cakey look that foundation can give older skin.
  #414   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-16, 13:18

Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 268.8/242.4/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi, all.

I think it's past time that I joined this group. I'll be 63 on Friday and have been here off and on since 2009.
  #415   ^
Old Wed, Aug-31-16, 06:12

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

Hello there, SuzyQ!
2009, that's quite a while. I started in 2012. I just looked at the start of my diary. I lost everything I lost in the first 6 months, more or less, and have been struggling to keep it off every since. I gained back about 3 kg, as of now, but I'm determined to shed them again! It's a lifelong journey, i guess. One big positive is the health benefits though. I have never felt younger or fitter, and that's the literal truth. Even as a kid I felt uncomfortable in my skin even when I wasn't fat, and I had a lot of stomach ache etc. I think now, looking back, that it was gluten related, though I'm not celiac. Luckily, my husband also embraced low carb, though Wheat Belly, so we can eat pretty much the same thing.
Looking forward to some interesting exchanges!
Ruth
  #416   ^
Old Wed, Aug-31-16, 06:50

Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 268.8/242.4/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi, Ruth.

I see you and I are the same height and have the same goal, and are close in age. Is this your first time doing LC? I'm on my 4th round. My problem isn't losing the weight, it's learning what I need to do to keep it of.
  #417   ^
Old Wed, Aug-31-16, 08:18

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

Well, yes. I can't say I've really cracked that yet, but I'm hanging in there.

This is my first time really low carbing, for real. I did diets that were quite similar (probably lower fat) for shortish periods in the past, lost weight and then gradually put it back, on two or three occasions notably, when I was 14 or so, when I was in my late twenties and again when I was in my forties. That time I also ran. I did a few 10ks though I was still 70 kg ish, having dipped to about 68 at my lowest. The running didn't do my knees a lot of good and it took years to get them back almost to normal - though I don't think I can really run any more.

This time, after about 8 months of low carbing, in spring 2013, I reached a real low of 66.6 or so, which is my personal weight minimum as an adult. I'd like to get back there. I think anything lower is probably a chimera and maybe not even desirable. I'd like to be a US 8, UK 12. At present I'm a US 10, UK 14, more or less.

I wasn't super strict on this journey, even when I was losing. I drank wine, ate a little rice and potatoes and even the odd light dessert, but somewhere along the line I just got out of the zone and the weight started to creep back on. Now I'm really having to try to be stricter - and get more walking in. So far I'm treading water.

If you - or anyone - has any tips or advice, I'll be happy to take it on board!
  #418   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 11:33

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/269/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 1%
Default New to forum - Intro

Hello! I'm looking forward to chatting with you all. I'm a 67 year old woman. Had a bad spell a few years ago, spent nearly 3 years on deathbed. Got a reprieve and started new healthy lifestyle. Was 365 lbs, lost a little over 100 lbs on The Gabriel Method, got off all but 2 of my prescription meds (still have one blood pressure and a thyroid med) including Metformin. Relearned to drive and walk again and doing much better. I stalled in my weight loss a little over a year ago and have gained between 10 and 20 lbs back (yo-yo). Need to lose another 130 lbs or so - NOT overnight, but since I'm getting up there in age, it would be nice to get it off and enjoy life a bit before I'm done, right? After the holidays, I switched over to Keto since I am a rabid carboholic and need to get that under control. I have not lost and have gained! I'm sure some of it is emotional/stress induced stall on my body's part, but now I am using MyFitnessPal to track every little macro, which I hate doing. Had my sons haul my treadmill up to the front room, hurts my knees to go up and down the stairs and hope to get more exercise while doing my January hibernation. Hate snow and cold, but live in Idaho so not much I can do about that! LOl. Bad knees and back, hopefully due to excess weight and not deterioration issues. My biggest problem at the moment is energy and motivation. Hoping we can help each other along on this adventure.
  #419   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 14:12

Plan: , LCHF
Stats: 259.6/222.4/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67.2/60.2/normal
Progress: 29%

Welcome Chrisrod, this forum is very helpful and educational. I am sure you will like it here. The first 2 weeks are the most difficult. If you feel weak your electrolytes are off. Add salty broth, potassium and magnesium to you diet for 2 weeks until your body has switched from sugar burning to fatburning. Find some webpages for beginners LCHF dieter . It help me slot.
  #420   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 15:38

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Welcome chrisrod.
I'm 73 and read more than I post.
There is a lot of good information here and I hope it helps you on your get healthy journey.
N2L