Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#391   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-16, 06:55
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I'm sticking my toes in the water with IF, too. No eating after 6pm or before 12 noon the next day (to start out). Scale is moving down a bit. I'm doing CNS since April and keeping my carbs near zero 6½ days; eat carbs for dinner on Saturdays to jar my body's set point system and keep my metabolism confused on food intake. So far it's working for me. Have lost 13#. I get my water weight bounce from carb nite off in 2 days and then start losing again. So the "4-day after fat burning advantage" seems to be only 2-3 for me, but I'm seeing it working as Keifer says. I figure throwing IF into the mix can only help overcome my blood pressure beta-blocker med's impedance to weight loss.

Dr. Atkins was right when he said losing on a beta blocker is difficult. It increases insulin in the blood. Hope to get my doc to put me on an ACE inhibitor or ARB angiotensin receptor blocker med, neither of which has a "weight gain" side effect, the ARB's have an insulin-resistance benefit. I go see her end on the 24th.

Congrats on hitting goal, Myrt!! You must be so proud. And isn't this weather we're have in Central TX just marvelous this week? Hope it lasts. So unusual for August, isn't it?

You're doing GREAT! MickiSue!! You'll be at goal before you know it, girl.

Last edited by Buttoni : Thu, Aug-18-16 at 07:01.
Sponsored Links
  #392   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-16, 08:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

LOL, Buttoni. I agree, if "before I know it" means before my 68th birthday!
  #393   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-16, 11:33
Patience Personified

My 68th comes around Dec. 31st. Makes ending each year a little less palatable to me. LOL
  #394   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-16, 18:18

Eh, Buttoni. I have a friend, who's actually a lot younger, who has a saying I stole from him. "Every day that you wake up on this side of the sod is a good day."

If you are half as cute as your avatar, you are adorable. And you take care of yourself, so those years in the 70's, 80's and 90's can be good ones.

I want to be like Husband's great uncle, who died at 97. At 92, he was riding his four wheeler cross country when he went over a steep section of his land (he was a farmer), and tipped. He was stuck under it till his son came along and found him.

He helped him get the four wheeler off, and upright. Then he climbed back on and drove it back home.
  #395   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-16, 01:25

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

MickieSue, how true that is!

I am planning my future post-retirement (when I am 64 in just under three year's time). I want to go back to uni to study something I'm really interested in, to play tennis three times a week instead of one, and maybe to take up painting. And that's just the start!
  #396   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-16, 07:20
Patience Personified

MickieSue, you're too sweet. My gray hair is setting in now. That's an older pic of me my last year teaching (2002) when I weighed around 160. I have tried to change my avatar here without much success so far. I use a newer pic on other forums. I'll have to keep working on sizing one down just right. I do have a newer one I'll try to put up this week.

My Dad used to have a similar saying he would utter with a smile when asked how he was doing: "I'm at least able to see sunshine up here". For the last 4-5 years, I've been doing battle royale with (now) 5 bulging discs. I also have arthritis all up and down my spine on the facet bones. Most days I can be neither terribly active nor terribly sedentary either. Those are interspersed with the occasional good day where only getting up out of a chair and the first 50 paces after doing so are quite painful. Can't straighten up my back for awhile after being seated. So no motorcycle riding for me. I can neither sit nor stand for too long periods of time without hurting. I'm seeing a Pain Mgmt. doctor on the 31st who can hopefully offer some alternative therapies besides the turmeric and ibuprofen I take now. The neurosurgeon I saw in June doesn't think my discs are bad enough for surgery yet, even though on one occasion one disc bulged so badly it pressed on the spinal cord per radiologist's report and it was enough to impair walking 100%. My legs just would not work without indescribable pain. We had to go to the ER. I do not ever want to experience that kind of pain again as long as I live, so I hope he decides on surgery before one of the five gets that bad again.

EDIT: I finally got a photo tiny enough to upload the new avatar. Yaaaaaay.

Last edited by Buttoni : Mon, Aug-22-16 at 07:34.
  #397   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-16, 08:25

See? You are still cute as hell.

Have you tried chiropractic? My brother is a doctor, and hurt his back at least 15 years ago, installing underground sprinklers as a weekend project.

He's had at least 5 surgeries, and still isn't 100%.

One of the surgeries, it took him 6 months before the pain level was back to what it had been pre-op. Now THAT's a strong recommendation for back surgery, I think.
  #398   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-16, 12:12
Patience Personified

MickiSue, I'm actually having some luck with turmeric supplements, 100mg 4xdaily. It's keeping pain manageable except when I get up out of a chair. I needed to get off the heavy ibuprofen usage since March. Not only makes you retain fluids, but has a lot of negative effects on the body.

I have one disc that is slipping down over the one below it and they get kinda kinked together. Takes me about 3-4 minutes and taking a few paces to straighten up properly. Then I'm OK for most days. Haven't have a real painful episode since March, thank God.

I haven't seen a chiropractor, but our realtor recommended a local one she says has helped with her cervical disc issues. My 5 bulges are the 5 lumbar discs and the lowest thoracic. Basically, facet arthritis and spurs, with only two of them skirting dangerously close tot he spinal column. Will see what the Pain Mgmt people offer me Aug 31st and if that doesn't help, I'll hook up with the chiropractor probably.
  #399   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-16, 18:13

Peggy, my FIL is in his mid-80's. A couple of years ago, he was having terrible lower back pain, went to the Mayo (they live in Rochester, MN) and was told he had a bulging disc, and should try chiropractic, because surgery at his age has extra danger.

He went to a chiro someone at the Y recommended. Saw him for six weeks. The pain was better, but not gone, and the chiro told him that he was sorry, because he felt that the pain should have been resolved by then.

Went back to the ortho, who told him that he no longer had a bulging disc, but that, because he did have an arthritic spine, he couldn't expect, at his age, to be pain free.

The chiro had done what he promised, after all.
  #400   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-16, 06:20
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Ladies, those of you that wear makeup..
do you have any suggestions on concealer or something that hides the circles under the eyes but doesn't increase wrinkles?
stuff i use gets into the wrinkles and looks worse..

any suggestions on good concealer or whatever you use that doesn't embed into your wrinkles, under your eyes?

TIA
  #401   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-16, 06:42

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

Pilot Gal,
One thing I've used in the past, though I can't often be bothered to wear make up these days, is really pale, slightly sparkly eye shadow, either white or very pale pink. I put it under my eyes as well as on the lids, to give a brighter effect. It doesn't exactly conceal the rings but it makes them less noticeable.
  #402   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-16, 06:52
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
Ladies, those of you that wear makeup..
do you have any suggestions on concealer or something that hides the circles under the eyes but doesn't increase wrinkles?
stuff i use gets into the wrinkles and looks worse..

any suggestions on good concealer or whatever you use that doesn't embed into your wrinkles, under your eyes?

TIA
This may sound strange, but in the movie business I watched the makeup tech who used Palladio CAKE, WHITE rice powder for touch ups between takes. I started using it myself. It's easier to find loose powder, translucent at Sally Beauty, but I still scrounge around until I find my old standby. The Chinese make a joke about it, calling it "old grandma" makeup, but it is so fine in texture that it seems to sit on top of the skin.

It's very inexpensive, but hard to find.
  #403   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-16, 06:57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
It's easier to find loose powder, translucent at Sally Beauty

i have a couple of things of translucent powder, but it still settles into the creases under the eyes.. makes me look older.
  #404   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-16, 08:45

PG, have you tried BB cream? It's more face cream than color, and because it's creamy, it's not so likely to settle into the wrinkles. There are a lot of companies that make it. I use the one from L'Oreal, and it works well for me.
  #405   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-16, 09:39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
PG, have you tried BB cream?
can you elaborate a little bit more on exactly what BB stands for?
i only know of BB's that you shoot from a BB gun.