Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-10, 16:08

Plan: Personalized
Stats: 190/178/170 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress:
Default Insulin: An Undeserved Bad Reputation?

This series is well worth a read, dissenting as it may be in this community - it's important to look at the entire weight of evidence and consider that many people may have overshot the significance of insulin as an obesigenic agent.
This is the final installment . All 4 parts are very intriguing though and well worth a read.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-10, 17:23

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I was about to write a comprehensive post about how wrong that guy was. Then I realized it was James Krieger. I can't begin to explain how wrong this guy is. His logic is so flawed it makes no sense. For example, he points to a study that looks at alcohol vs carbs then tries to show that calories was the problem. What he doesn't realize is that alcohol acts exactly like fructose in the liver. Which is to say, the study looked at carbs, not calories.

James Krieger. Pfft.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-10, 17:36

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Well, I think James is dead on.
Quote:
...It is a concept that is based on incomplete information regarding insulin, carbohydrate, and body weight regulation. Many people are drawn to this hypothesis because of its simplicity. However, its simplicity is exactly what makes it incorrect, because it does not address all the available data...

And Martin, you know I read GCBC and fully understood it. But still, I now think that James is right and Taubes is wrong (at least about the Carbs hypothesis).

Patrick
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-10, 17:43

BF:

Here's what the study shows. Since alcohol acts exactly like fructose, then we can safely say they could have used fructose to produce the same result. Since the study would have produced the same result by changing the amount of carbs, then we can safely conclude that the study showed that eating more carbs makes us fat. This means that the study James gave in support of his argument actually opposes his argument. Finally, considering that the only evidence James presented to support this last installment is this study that opposes his argument, then we can safely dismiss this last installment without doing too much harm in the grand scheme of things.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-10, 18:02

BF:

Look at some of his replies. He says the removal of insulin in type 1 diabetics causes hyperphagia in support of his argument that insulin causes satiety. If that were true, then the addition of insulin in type 1 diabetics wouldn't make them grow fatter. But it does. So how then can insulin make them grow fatter and make them eat less, while it makes them eat more and makes them leaner? It makes no sense. He's too wrong to be credible.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 05:09
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I think he's guilty of cherry picking studies that suit his point of view, and also cherry picking graphs from studies that were looking at something somewhat different. I didn't see him mention the effects of fats, and as a good low carb diet should be high fat then that effect on insulin production should also be looked at. I eat 20% protein, 77% fat, I eat protein with plenty of fat at each meal. Yes, protein has an insulin response, its widely known on this board, the difference between protein and carbs, is that we need protein to live, we don't need carbs. Eat your protein with a good amount of fat and the insulin response is much reduced. This is why milk has a higher insulin response than heavy cream. His articles seemed to suggest that low carbers were eating loads of protein, a few carbs and little else. If your diet consists of 20% protein, 60% carbs, 20% fat, I think its logical to assume that the insulin response will be far greater than 20% protein, 77% fat, 3% carbs.

He also makes very little mention of insulin resistance or its effects.

He also did not explain the fact that undiagnosed diabetics lose weight - often lots of weight. When they start on insulin or other meds that control insulin production their weight will stabilise and many will start gaining. I have seen this time and time again. He just mentions one diabetic drug that also has an effect on something else - as if this explains away the experiences of all the rest of the diabetics.

There's no argument that insulin isn't the only factor in weight gain/loss, but its one of the factors. The human body is complex and everything that influences weight gain and appetite is still not understood. There undoubtedly are other factors, but I believe insulin is one important factor.

Lee
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 05:14
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
He's too wrong to be credible.

Yes, especially by ignoring the effects of high fat in a low carb diet.

Lee
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 06:15

BF:

Here is the link to the first article of this series.

http://weightology.net/weightologyw..._id=319&cpage=1
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 06:39

BF:

He did not cherry picked, he actually comes from the same background as we do.
Quote:
I’m sure some are having some cognitive dissonance reading this article right now. I know because I experienced the same disbelief years ago when I first discovered this paper and how protein caused large insulin responses. At the time, I had the same belief that others have…that insulin had to be kept under control and as low as possible, and that spikes in insulin were a bad thing. I had difficulty reconciling that study and my beliefs regarding insulin. However, as time went on, and as I read more research, I learned that my beliefs regarding insulin were simply wrong.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 06:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
I think he's guilty of cherry picking studies that suit his point of view, and also cherry picking graphs from studies that were looking at something somewhat different. I didn't see him mention the effects of fats, and as a good low carb diet should be high fat then that effect on insulin production should also be looked at. I eat 20% protein, 77% fat, I eat protein with plenty of fat at each meal. Yes, protein has an insulin response, its widely known on this board, the difference between protein and carbs, is that we need protein to live, we don't need carbs. Eat your protein with a good amount of fat and the insulin response is much reduced. This is why milk has a higher insulin response than heavy cream. His articles seemed to suggest that low carbers were eating loads of protein, a few carbs and little else. If your diet consists of 20% protein, 60% carbs, 20% fat, I think its logical to assume that the insulin response will be far greater than 20% protein, 77% fat, 3% carbs.

He also makes very little mention of insulin resistance or its effects.

He also did not explain the fact that undiagnosed diabetics lose weight - often lots of weight. When they start on insulin or other meds that control insulin production their weight will stabilise and many will start gaining. I have seen this time and time again. He just mentions one diabetic drug that also has an effect on something else - as if this explains away the experiences of all the rest of the diabetics.

There's no argument that insulin isn't the only factor in weight gain/loss, but its one of the factors. The human body is complex and everything that influences weight gain and appetite is still not understood. There undoubtedly are other factors, but I believe insulin is one important factor.

Lee

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=459
Quote:
MYTH: Since diabetics who inject insulin gain weight, this means that insulin is the reason for weight gain in non-diabetics

FACT: Amylin is co-secreted with insulin in non-diabetics; amylin has appetite suppressant and lipolytic effects

I would like to thank Dr. Stephan Guyenet for this information. I had known about amylin but hadn’t looked into it in any great detail. Amylin is a hormone that is secreted by your pancreas at the same time as insulin. Amylin decreases appetite, and also stimulates lipolysis (the breakdown of fat into fatty acids).

Type 1 diabetics do not produce amylin, and amylin secretion is impaired in type 2 diabetics. Pramlintide, a drug that mimics the effects of amylin, has been found to produce weight loss in diabetics.

This information demonstrates that the effects of insulin injection in a diabetic cannot be compared to the effects of physiological changes in insulin in a non-diabetic, yet many people erroneously make this comparison as if they are similar.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 08:53

BF:

It ain't the first time I catch these internet gurus in the act of irrational behavior. Here's the latest of his arguments:

Quote:
The direct demonstration of cause/effect is not a “faulty inference.” If one injects insulin centrally and it suppresses appetite, versus no suppression when only the vehicle is injected, then this is direct evidence that insulin suppresses appetite. When you add the evidence that knocking out insulin receptors in the brain results in hyperphagia, as well as the removal of insulin in type I diabetics results in hyperphagia, then you really cannot get better evidence that insulin is an appetite suppressant.

James wrote this obviously to establish the rule by which we should determine cause and effect where hyperphagia is concerned. So, here we conclude that the cause is the removal of insulin. And we conclude that the effect is hyperphagia. Accordingly, he wins a point about whether or not insulin suppresses hunger or not. I agree with this assessment.

But then I ask him a question regarding cause and effect here:
Quote:
Would you say that emaciation is the result of a caloric deficit? Would you say that emaciation is the result of the removal of insulin? Then you would also say that a caloric deficit is the result of the removal of insulin.

And here's what he replied:
Quote:
The caloric deficit due to the removal of insulin is due to the massive excretion of glucose and ketones in the urine. There is also an increased metabolic rate due to the rapid catabolism of protein and muscle tissue. The increased metabolic rate is actually due to hyperglucagonemia and not the removal of insulin.

Somehow, the removal of insulin ceases to be a valid cause when glucagon enters the picture.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 10:42

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:
Progress: 97%

It's an excellent series of articles. I still admire Taubes for his work, but this Taubes cult is pathetic, and also contrary to the scepticism that Taubes himself displayed in his book. Maybe seven years of research is not enough to develop a mature view of a field, and Taubes didn't read widely enough. Insulin is just a hormone, one we can't live without.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 11:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball
It's an excellent series of articles. I still admire Taubes for his work, but this Taubes cult is pathetic, and also contrary to the scepticism that Taubes himself displayed in his book. Maybe seven years of research is not enough to develop a mature view of a field, and Taubes didn't read widely enough. Insulin is just a hormone, one we can't live without.

It's an incoherent series of articles. I don't admire Krieger whatsoever for his ramblings, and this Krieger cult is pathetic, and also contrary to the science that Taubes pointed out in his book. Maybe a few blog posts is not enough to develop a mature view of a field, and Krieger didn't read widely enough. Insulin is just a hormone, but it's the single most important hormone in fat metabolism, and for this reason alone we can't live without it for very long.

See? I can be judgmental too and still be completely irrelevant to the subject at hand.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 11:11

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I thought Krieger oversimplified the other way. I don't inject insulin; I eat food and am interested in the effects. I couldn't tell what hypothesis Krieger was forwarding, as opposed to the insulin-carb one. Is it the excess-calorie idea?

Last edited by Seejay : Mon, Oct-25-10 at 11:35.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 11:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
I thought Krieger oversimplified the other way. I don't inject insulin; I eat food and am interested in the effects. I couldn't tell what hypothesis Krieger was forwarding, as opposed to the insulin-carb one. Is it the excess-calorie idea?

It's the science-based one.