Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 13:42

Plan: Atkins Nutritional Plan
Stats: 194/165/145 Female 66
BF:39/37/28
Progress: 59%
Default Supplements for Menopause

Menopause came for a visit this morning about 3:30, and left me in a little puddle of my own sweat.
I'm 52, so it's no surprise, and I have been in peri-menopause since my mid-40s. However, I sure don't like the night sweats, and the hot flashes.
It occurred to me that others might have found some vitamin and mineral supplements that alleviated their symptoms.
I tried black cohosh, and found that helpful, but I'm not sure if I can keep taking it for more than a few months at a time. Does anyone know?
Any suggestions gladly accepted.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 17:19
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Patricia,

I used to have dreadful hot flushes. I absolutely couldn't cope without my HRT. I know Dr Atkins advised against it, but many of us here find we are losing just fine on HRT.

So my advice is to see your doctor for a prescription.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 23:04
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

I went on HRT 1 1/2 yrs ago because nothing was helping with the hot flashes. I'm trying a couple of new things right now, maca root & oil of Oregano. I phased out my HRT Feb 20 and so far so good. TOM was real regular untill the HRT and I REALLY don't want it back.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 06:26

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

I had deep thrombophlebitis (blood clots) in my late 20's from taking the pill so I can't take HRT. My doctor recommended vitamin B6 and/or Evening Primrose Oil. It does seem to help.

shortstuff
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 02:34

Stats: 191/177/148 Female 5ft. 6.5 inches
BF:40.40%/38.10/?
Progress: 33%

I'm looking for the answer too.
I am 51 yr. and my periods stopped suddenly when I was 45yr. old. It was great! I have no menopause symptoms, other than terrible hot flashes every day + all night.I have taken HRT for 5 years, but last yr. my Dr. said to start tapering off + try to get off of it completely. Now my hot flshes are back, + almost unbearable! If you know of anything that helps, please let me know. Thanks!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 07:37
Registered Member

Stats: 275/210/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Natural HRT's

Hi Patricia52:

Just noticed your journal. I have just started taking a natural HRT , Swiss Formula HRT for menopause . It comes in 60 capsules a bottle. This is only my second bottle. I have found quite a difference. I have just started menopause in the last year. I am now 54. I have had the night sweats in the past but the flashes just started a few months ago. One of the ladies at my work suggested these supplements because she can't take regular HRT's and I was more comfortable with taking a nutural HRT than a prescribed one. You can buy these at the Health Food Store. I am in Canada also on the other coast. So you should be able to get them in BC.

Hope you find something that works for you. You have to take these a month before you really notice any difference, and you cannot miss any because this will stop the effects of the HRT's. I buy two bottles at a time so I don't get caught short. Two capsules a dayso 1 bottle lasts a month. They cost between $22 - $25.

Good luck

Marilyn
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 16:01
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/170/128 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default menopause

hi marilyn just tead your letter,im 53 still have regular periods but i know im going through menopause,the sweats the moods etc was thinking of taking the swiss hrt,you say you think it helps but does it stall weight loss,im on 4 day induction and im really not losing as it is ,so dont want to add something that makes it impossibe.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-05, 21:08

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 280/265/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default I used to be that bad...

but I found that Black Cohash worked great for me. I could not use anything with hormones because of cervical cancer I already went through and the treatments. I wish you well, but you most certainly should see your doctor to make sure that nothing else is going on with your body.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-05, 00:38

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

Im taking Oil of Oregano and B6, and I have been feeling a lot better. Only an occasional night sweat now and then and not many hot flushes. I have read the Low Carbing effects the hormones , especially at first , so you can expect a wild fluctuation for awhile. Then it should even out and you will tell a difference.
DHEA is good too as a natural hormone.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 09:41

Stats: 199/177/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Does anyone know why low carbing would effect your hormones ? Has anyone tried using the Cortisole ? Brenda
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 12:06

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

I read in one of these threads a long time ago, that hormones are stored in your fat cells along with the fat, and when the cells release fat, the hormones are released into your system, causing erratic hormone levels for awhile.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 21:48

Plan: Sureslim
Stats: 136/114/114 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have been taking "Remifemin" (a herbal remedy, available in Australia over the counter), 4 per day, for the last 2 years, with great results! An occasional night sweat, but the hot flashes have gone, and I'm still losing weight with a modified low-carb diet.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 10:48

Stats: 152/146.0/130 Female 64
BF:39%
Progress: 27%

Im so glad to see something on this subject. I will be 51 in April, and have been having hot flashes and nite sweats for about 2 yrs. also what I call cold sweats....they are awful. I know when I have sugar they are worse. I have tried several things, PhytotEstrogen,Primrose Oil, Black Cohash and b6, also something I get from Sam's Club called Estro Vital Nutrients...they all have black cohash and b6 too. Nothing seems to help. Will look into the Swiss Formula HRT. I feel like I have tried everything on the market. I am against usinig HRT, I feel that we women are used as guiena pigs, the medical community needs to get a handle on this..to much cancer risk for my taste.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-01-05, 11:53
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I've been taking Estroven since January 2005( I'm 54 yrs old) and am seeing some nice results. My hot flashes are more like 30 seconds of a warm spell and my night sweats are greatly diminished. Its got black cohosh in it and a bunch of other things.

It also has a sleep aid which I really appreciate!! I've been having trouble sleeping for years.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-01-05, 12:38
Registered Member

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 247/215/140 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 30%

judy i've been taking the maximum strength estroven, and haven't been having the night sweats at all. i hated when i'd wake up in the middle of the night and you could see where i'd been laying by the body outline of sweat on the bed