Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-08, 20:49
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Anyone making full fat yogurt?

My first attempt at yogurt making was unsuccessful after putting my container out on the patio to warm up and finding it full of ants. Is anyone using yogurt machines? Any tips on keeping it warm without a machine?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-08, 21:51
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I have made it in an oven, and even on top of a gas stove, placing the pan over the pilot light.

Here's a link to a YouTube video showing how to make yogurt using an oven:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...earch&plindex=0

ETA: I have even heard of people making yogurt in thermos bottles that were preheated with boiling water.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-08, 22:25
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Thanks, Kisal! The video was awesome. I need to run out and get some cheesecloth.

You are the best "retriever" and come up with everything.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-08, 22:28

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I use a large cooler. Here was my experience...
http://wifezillasway.blogspot.com/2...ing-yogurt.html
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-08, 23:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Low Carb
Stats: 280/230/170 Male 5'-10"
BF:38%
Progress: 45%

I gave my Dad a yogurt maker for his birthday. He uses it every week. I'm think about getting myself one. I love to eat sour cream (daisy) straight out of the tub but have to limit the ammount to rougly two heaping tablespoons. Dairy seems to stint weight loss for me on LC. Not sure why.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-08, 08:54
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Well, I scraped the layer of ants off my yogurt and put it in a colander with a clean white dishtowel to drain in the fridge overnight. A considerable amount of liquid drained off and it is now thick and creamy full-fat yogurt. If an ant slipped through, I suppose that is just more protein.

I used Dana Carpender's recipe which calls for powdered milk and cream. She didn't mention draining and I think draining is essential.

I ate a cup this morning with a capful of vanilla extract and EZ-Sweetz.

I cannot find full fat yogurt anywhere. Not even the health food store has it. This misconception about fat is very annoying!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-08, 09:08

BF:

Finding full fat yogurt is very frustrating. The only place I can get it is Vitamin Cottage....a 20 minute drive from my house. AND, apparently smart people shop there because the FULL FAT IS ALWAYS OUT!!!!

Anyway...about the draining. YES...it is pretty much a must. Commercial yogurts add extra milk powder, pectin, or even evil corn starch :::shudder::: to get their consistency.

Of all the batches of yogurt I made, the heavy cream version was the best. Screw the milk....I am going with cream to make mine from now on
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-08, 09:14
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Zilla, your cooler method also looks pretty easy. I might try that one too. I suppose I'm going to keep making yogurt. I make practically everything else I eat. The food industry is not low carb friendly.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-08, 09:22

BF:

No...it isn't. Unfortunately my kitchen isn't project friendly and my husband eats yogurt like it is going out of style. So I often end up buying. Maybe I just need my own cow and a little milk shed in the back yard
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-08, 11:25
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Susan, do you have a Trader Joe's around? If so, you might try looking for Greek yogurt. It is full fat and incredibly delicious. They have their own brand and they have one called "Fage" or "Total".

Do NOT, under any circumstances, mix this yogurt with peanut butter and sweetener (like Da vinci SF peanut butter syrup). This combination is deadly and you will wake up in the middle of the night wanting more, and if you don't get it you will probably asplode.

Seriously, I have a problem with peanut butter and greek yogurt. Is there a rehab for that?
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-08, 16:06
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Oh man, I don't even like peanut butter and you just totally made me crave some for reasons unknown to me lol.

Actually, I love melting peanut butter and cream cheese together in the microwave and stirring it and eating it. I havent done that in years!

I am really glad I still have 2 more hours of fasting to go or I would so be in the kitchen right now lol
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-08, 18:07
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hmmm... I might start some.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-08, 18:14

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I make my own creme fraiche using the warm spot in the middle of my gas stove...

I can't imagine eating berries without it!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-08, 18:31
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Susan, do you have a Trader Joe's around? If so, you might try looking for Greek yogurt. It is full fat and incredibly delicious. They have their own brand and they have one called "Fage" or "Total".

Nope. Just an enormous Whole Foods Market. I found Fage Greek Yogurt, but it was 0% fat! This area is too South Beachy.

Quote:
Do NOT, under any circumstances, mix this yogurt with peanut butter and sweetener (like Da vinci SF peanut butter syrup). This combination is deadly and you will wake up in the middle of the night wanting more, and if you don't get it you will probably asplode.

Hmmm.....I do have some SF almond syrup and organic peanut butter. Maybe I'll risk an asplosion.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-08, 21:48
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I'm going to put in a plug for Yogourmet starter. That stuff makes great yogurt -- the best I've ever had. You can buy it at a lot of places online.

In the winter (not that you have that in Ft. Lauderdale) I make yogurt by putting the cultures in 2 quart jars, and boiling water in to quart jars, then both into a small cooler that's been warmed with hot water from the tap. After 4 or so hours replace the water to maintain the temperature. Easy peasy.