Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 16:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:It Just Can't Be!
Progress: 0%
Default If You Want A Sandwich and Can't Have Bread-Look

Here is something which makes really good sandwiches. I found the recipe here somewhere, but I can't find it anymore to give credit where credit it due. Hope they don't mind my posting it.
It can be eaten during induction because there is no flour in it.
There is only 1 carb per slice if it makes 12 "slices".

Basic Recipe:

6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
4 egg yolks
3 ounces softened cream cheese
pinch of salt
Beat egg whites & cream of tartar until VERY stiff. Turn bowl upside down & if the whites don't slide, they are stiff enough.

In a small bowl mix together the other ingredients. Gently fold the yolk into the whites using a spatula.

Generously spray a couple of cookie sheets with pam.

Spoon out mixture into piles on cookie sheets. I spread the mixture out to about the size of a slice of bread. Don't get it too thin or it will be too crisp. I usually get 10-12 "slices" depending on the size of the eggs.
Bake at 300 degrees about 35 minutes. They will be lightly browned.
Using a spatula, remove them to a wire rack to cool. When cool, put them in a ziplock bag and store in refrigerator. Make some holes in the bag so they won't get soggy.
We eat them with hamburgers instead of buns. They are GREAT!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 21:49

Stats: 178/153.4/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Thanks for sharing!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 18:35
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 420/335/175 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:Don't/go/there
Progress: 35%
Default Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing this great recipe, I tried it and it is great.

I added a little garlic powder instead of the salt and it made a great
hamburger bun and bread for a ham sandwich.

I am going to try alot of other things, why not add cinnamon and flavoring and eat them like pancakes? Or spread with cream cheese
and flavored sf syrup? Can't wait to try some new things with this.

Thanks again for sharing this.

Susan
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 10:21

Plan: Atkins Wannabe
Stats: 260 ?/234/140 Female 63 Inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

It sounds great!! and great ideas Suzy!! Im going to try this out and let yall know what I think later on!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 11:32

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Wow, thanks, these sound rather neat.
My husband is starting soon, and anything I can do to ease his transition will be great. Maybe if I put holes in them he will think they are bagels (a major weakness of his...)
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 00:36
Registered Member

Stats: 205/199/130 Female 65"
BF:33%
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GramnGramp
4 egg yolks

Urk... stupid question for the cooking challenged. Which is tye yolk, the white or yellow part?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 02:52
Too kinky for you

Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

Yellow
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 07:37
Registered Member

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad
Yellow

HA! This is the beauty of message boards. Nobody points to me in real time and laughs because I am the idiot that can never remember that. ;o) This way I can look like an idiot on line only! Heh...

Thank you Sinbad!

Ohhhh, another question, is there another name for yellow squash? It is small, like a zuchini, yellow, and has a fat body and skinny neck. I have been trying to find the number of carbs in that type of squash but I can't find it under yellow squash. Could I just be referring to it incorrectly?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 07:58

Plan: lower carb, lower GI
Stats: 298/277/240 Female 5'6
BF:yes it is
Progress: 36%

Try "crook neck" or "summer squash"
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 08:01
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quibbers
Try "crook neck" or "summer squash"

Ahhh, thank you! Now I can look it up.

You know, as a kid my mom never made anything other than slimey cooked spinich, corn, and green beans. When I was a teen I worked in a grocery store and people would buy all this produce and I didn't have the slightest idea what it was.

Ehh... I still don't. ;o) Thank you!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 01:21
Registered Member

Quote:
Here is something which makes really good sandwiches. I found the recipe here somewhere, but I can't find it anymore to give credit where credit it due. Hope they don't mind my posting it.
It can be eaten during induction because there is no flour in it.
There is only 1 carb per slice if it makes 12 "slices".
[U]

Gram...

I just wanted to thank you for this recipe. It *just* came out of the oven and I am thrilled! I just wish I was hungry so I could make a cheeseburger!

I am in the induction phase and I was really wondering if I could do this. I have been a vegetarian for a long time and the book clearly states that this is going to be rough for a vegetarian. Man, they weren't kidding!

I have been trying to find recipes that cover up the taste of dead cow, dead chicken, and dead pig. I finally realized that if I could make an old fashioned cheeseburger, maybe I could do this. Obviously, during induction a cheeseburger with all the fixings is out of the question. Then I saw the recipe you posted.

I even made this so it is LESS than one carb per slice (about 0.3-0.4 carbs per slice) and I LOVE this stuff! I plan on making it again in the morning and I want it crispy. CRACKERS! Yummmmm. Something crunchy other than celery. The only carbs come from eggs because I found carb free cream cheese. And you know what? I HATE cream cheese! But this stuff is great.

I want to thank you. Seriously, thank you! I cannot express how much this makes a difference for me. Something crunchy that is not in the veggie group!

Gram, I owe you one!
Michelle
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 21:28

Stats: -/-/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:It Just Can't Be!
Progress: 0%

Michelle, You are very welcome.
I just wish I could remember who posted the recipe originally. They deserve the credit.

I wasn't sure about the recipe when I read it, but I tried it and now I make it all the time. It makes good ham and cheese sandwiches. You can warm the "slices" up in the microwave for 10 seconds or so also.

We missed sandwiches until I tried this, now we have them all the time. It is great that you have cut the carbs even more!

We LOVE dead cow, dead chicken and dead pig!LOL

GOOD LUCK on your LC journey.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 21:52
Registered Member

Quote:
Michelle, You are very welcome.
I just wish I could remember who posted the recipe originally. They deserve the credit.

I wasn't sure about the recipe when I read it, but I tried it and now I make it all the time. It makes good ham and cheese sandwiches. You can warm the "slices" up in the microwave for 10 seconds or so also.

We missed sandwiches until I tried this, now we have them all the time. It is great that you have cut the carbs even more!

We LOVE dead cow, dead chicken and dead pig!LOL

GOOD LUCK on your LC journey.

My big issue is meat. I have to plug my nose, think about something else, and hum while I eat it. ;o) In case you haven't figured it out I have to eat dead critter when nobody else is around, otherwise I feel like a big boob. Heh... But I miss bread. I am a carb addict in a big way. I could live on bread and plain mashed 'taters for the rest of my life and be very content. So this diet is a real challenge for me.

I am not kidding, the recipe you posted has made the difference between being able to do this diet vs. not. I realized at the time of my post it wasn't your recipe but I don't care, you posted it and I probably would not have seen it had you not posted it.

I'm not kidding, I owe you one!

Thank you Gram!
Michelle
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 11:54

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Michelle, I realize this problem with meat prolly isn't too funny to you, but I got a good giggle any how. I'm an old farm girl and I have helped with a lot of butchering of the dead critters. I still eat meat. You probably woudn't care too much for eggs either if you saw what they looked like when they're retrieved from the nests! I'm not trying to be insensitive to your problem because I know it is a very real problem for some folks. Just hang in there, it will get better.

There are some things that bother me, too. Like wormy apples. Those really gross me out - absolutely CANNOT eat them even if the wormy part has been cut away.

shortstuff
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 15:39

Plan: Atkins / Isagenix/ IF
Stats: 282.5/210/160 Female 5'7
BF:71%/31.66%/20%
Progress: 59%

MishInAZ,

Just wanted to point you to one of my favorite journals to follow. She is a vegetarian who has been doing Atkins for a while and has lost about 70lbs! Do a search for Etoiles Vegetarian Adventure.