Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Dec-26-01, 13:16

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 209.9/206.6/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Incredible thread!

Some very interesting points made here - and I think I like the part about eating something not on the plan is not "cheating".....it's strange that it's always been called that - in any diet plan....

I must admit that this is the first WOE where when I am even the slightest bit tempted to eat something wrong I am hit with a sensation of displeasure - meaning that though the memories of what chocolate chip cookies taste like are pleasing, the thought of actually putting one (or 20 ) in my mouth gives me a bad feeling because I know it is wrong for me and my health and well-being. That has been truly an amazing thing to me, because I've not experienced that on any other diet plan...I'm assuming there is some sort of physiological reason for this - simply because my willpower is not now nor has ever been that strong...and the "I'll only have one" game begins and then after 19 more the "I'll start over tomorrow" game follows....

Comments?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 09:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/128/128 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Hi all....

This is a great thread. Lots to really think about. I am back on induction for at least a week and then I am going to start pre-maintenaince. I just read Dr. Atkins latest version last night and feel that I am more prepared for it than I was a couple of years ago.

LC - I have been searching and reading all of your posts. I want to be a forever LC maintainer like you! Carbs and sugar make me feel horrible and I don't ever want to feel like that again. You are a great inspiration to me.

Gwilson - I too am a recovering ED sufferer. This WOE seems to work wonders for me. Sweets were always my downfall and this way I don't crave them so I am not tempted to binge. I was anorexic and then fell into bulimia from there. It is amazing what our emotions can cause us to do to our own bodies!

Karen - You always make me think! I always had a hard time seeing my ED as an addiction like any other, but you are right. I always felt "weak" because I couldn't control my eating and my feelings about it. Here I see that there are a lot of others struggling with the same issues. One on one therapy helped me to get into recovery, but it is not the same as hearing others that feel the same.

Mindyd - Your thoughts exactly echo my own! You said "I must admit that this is the first WOE where when I am even the slightest bit tempted to eat something wrong I am hit with a sensation of displeasure ..." This is what I have been experiencing also. With so many other eating plans when I could have a little of the sweet stuff it always turned into a lot before long. I always said that for me it is all or nothing and this way I am not tempted by the sweets at all. BTW, 20 chocolate chip cookies is a lot... ha ha ha... been there and definitely have done that!

I hope that this maintenance forum gets busier and I hope to be a part of it. I love this place and you are all the BEST!

Hugs,
Carrie
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 10:38

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Mindy - funny how willpower isn't a prerequisite for success on Low Carb Living. We were torturing ourselves on low-fat dieting. Without willpower we CAN'T low fat diet - it's like punishment for being fat.

Low Carb Living is about rewarding yourself for being healthy.

Think of it this way for a minute: Low Carb Living is not about weight loss. The weight loss is just an added bonus on the road to being all-round healthy. On Low Carb lifestyles, our body returns to it's ideal weight for healthy living. The increased energy is proof of that. It's a way of living that addresses ALL aspects of life. Low FAT dieting just focuses on weight loss alone.

Carrie - you already ARE a part of this maintenance area! Congratulations on reaching the final approach to the Weight Goal Landing Strip . Once you "arrive" you will be instrumental in guiding all the others in for a smooth arrival.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 01:54

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 282/248/147 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Wow what a discussion!

I am reminded of an old 12-step saying that went something like this...You may be an addict if....

One is too many and a thousand is never enough!

If you truly feel this applies to anything in your life...it sure fits the addiction profile.

Or...
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, smells like a duck or talks like a duck....it probably is...Don't step in it!

Perception is in the eyes of the owner!

Thank you ladies for some thought provoking reading.

Bsayne
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 02:35
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I always felt "weak" because I couldn't control my eating and my feelings about it. Here I see that there are a lot of others struggling with the same issues. One on one therapy helped me to get into recovery, but it is not the same as hearing others that feel the same.

This is one of the central themes of recovery from an addiction. Addicts try to control many aspects of their lives. The irony is, how can you control what you're addicted to if you're addicted to it? How can you control anything?

When I stumbled upon this truth, the other shoe dropped!

Karen
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-17, 13:30
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Bumping this thread because even though it's been 15 years, the electronic ink is still wet on the wisdom.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-17, 18:45
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

agree- it's pretty amazing to read this and have it resonate.